5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-cab 115V/150wt Inverter Install

rwo978

Reaction score
After over a year, I finally have this all installed and working.
You'll need 3 additional parts: the In-dash inverter and 2 outlets (Part # 56046934AA) for inside the console and on the rear of it. I found all mine used online.

Start by removing the dash infotainment assembly as is described in other videos. It's my understanding that not all trucks have the plugs wrapped up along the harnesses. If the plugs are present, they'll be wrapped in the black cloth tape and be obvious, as there's bulges. They're oriented on the passenger side, as the plugs on the inverter face that direction. Where there's the tape that looks like it's wrapped in a circle with the tab hanging (third picture), that's where the plugs were wrapped up and that's some of the extra that was covering them. Yes, the inverter is being held in by zip ties, as the hardware wasn't included and I wasn't going to pay a ton extra for something that isn't visible. I didn't pull all the plugs out to photograph them, but there's 2 of them.

inverter.jpg
inverter plugs.jpg
inverter plugs wrap.jpg

Next, you'll need to remove the interior console to get to the plugs for the console outlets, as they're wrapped up too and inaccessible through the mounting holes. I don't have any photos of this, but there's videos online for removing the console. Look to the respective areas for the wrapped up plugs. Install the outlets and plug them in.

front plug.jpg

rear plug.jpg

Next is the step that I missed and caused all sorts of problems and internet searching without success, leading to trial and error. You need to install the fuse under the dash. It's in the F60 spot and is a 50 amp Jcase slotted fuse. I couldn't find them anywhere in town and went to the dealership, which they didn't have any on hand either and had to get them from another dealership. So, I fashioned up a temporary fix with a heavy duty fuse holder with blade female ends which I covered with insulated shrink wrap. I'll replace this once the fuse comes in. The location is the red 50 in the lower left corner.

fusebox.jpg
fusebox improvised.jpg

As for the ALFAObd changes, see the next reply. I'm over on attachments.

Last edited:

rwo978

Reaction score
ALFA Obd changes. Connect to the BCM.

ALFA 1.JPG

Go to the Active Diagnostic and select the Car Configuration Change.

ALFA 2.JPG

Search INVERTER

ALFA 3.JPG

Skip the first VehConfig 2-power. That appears to be for a switch, possibly for the RamBox. All of the other ones, switch to YES. Some of these might be for the RamBox Inverter, but I haven't gotten specific information for which is which.

ECUConfig 3-power Inverter Present - YES

ALFA 4.JPG

CBC Config I/O-ERS Switch/Inverter On/Off Switch Input Present - YES
ALFA 5.JPG

CBC Config I/O-110/220 VAC Inverter On/Off Switch Input Present - YES
ALFA 6.JPG

2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.-Inverter On/Off Switch Present - Pin G12 - YES
ALFA 7.JPG

2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.-Power Inverter Status Indicator Present - Pin F34
ALFA 8.JPG

You'll know everything worked when you plug things in and the indicator LED turns on. I plugged my phone in to verify it was charging.
front plug active.jpg
rear plug active.jpg

Last edited:

mandadar

Reaction score
This is amazing and something I've trying to figure out for a while now. Amazing job!!

Users who are viewing this thread