5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving the handling

TerryD

Reaction score
I've recently test drove 5.7 Hemi Laramie 4x2 with 22" tires and was incredibly impressed by the truck. Almost everything about the truck - the engine power and acceleration, the interior, the exterior - is definitely top of the line. The one thing that left me wanting more is the handling. The ride is very smooth, but by the same token I feel quite isolated from the road. The amount of time and steering wheel movement to get the truck into the turn is higher than what I would've expected. The body lean is also somewhat pronounced. Is this an issue that could be mitigated by moving to another trim (Rebel, maybe?) or with some aftermarket performance parts?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've recently test drove 5.7 Hemi Laramie 4x2 with 22" tires and was incredibly impressed by the truck. Almost everything about the truck - the engine power and acceleration, the interior, the exterior - is definitely top of the line. The one thing that left me wanting more is the handling. The ride is very smooth, but by the same token I feel quite isolated from the road. The amount of time and steering wheel movement to get the truck into the turn is higher than what I would've expected. The body lean is also somewhat pronounced. Is this an issue that could be mitigated by moving to another trim (Rebel, maybe?) or with some aftermarket performance parts?
It’s not a sports car

Adrianp89

Reaction score

Drive another truck, then drive the Ram again. I think you will feel pretty confident.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I have the same one with 4X4 option, it’s one of the best handling among trucks, handles better than my 2010 Escalade that I came from. Acceleration is barely less than the 6.2 liter 420 HP Escalade though.

j517

Reaction score
I liem how it handles if feels like my Mercedes nice and tight cornering

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
It definitely handles better then my old f250

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are sway bar upgrades I’ve seen around would help ease your mind. Agree with most here, this is the tightest truck I’ve driven

TerryD

Reaction score
Thank you - sway bars seems like a good candidate for an upgrade.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
I actually agree with the OP, the ram ride is amazing but compared to my xlt its cornering had a lot of body roll that sapped confidence compared to the Ford.

One thing you can do that stiffened it right up is level with the rough country leveling kit. Adding the preload made a world of difference. The other thing that helped was going to an LT tire since the stock nexens were so soft.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
a truck with 22's will be the best handling, due to the lower profile tires. the rebel definately will be worse with the big 70 series tires don't like hard cornering.

an aftermarket sway bar and some rear lowering springs would make a world of difference.

mjw930

Reaction score
I actually agree with the OP, the ram ride is amazing but compared to my xlt its cornering had a lot of body roll that sapped confidence compared to the Ford.

One thing you can do that stiffened it right up is level with the rough country leveling kit. Adding the preload made a world of difference. The other thing that helped was going to an LT tire since the stock nexens were so soft.
REALLY, BETTER THAN THE FORD!!! I just dumped a 2017 XLT 4WD which was the 2nd worst handling modern truck I’ve ever owned next to the 2014 Silverado I dumped after 8 miserable months. I installed a complete Ford Performance 4x4 lowering kit with Bilstein shocks, a Hellwig rear sway bar and Michelin Defender LTX tires to the XLT and my box stock Bighorn 4x2 with air suspension and Bridgestone Duelers rides smoother, corners better and is more precise to steering input than the Ford ever was.

Could I make the Bighorn handle better, probably but it would be tremendously incremental, cost me a lot of money and ruin it for its primary purpose which is to tow my toys.

FYI, I’ve raced sports cars, Porsche primarily, for 38 years, I know a bit about handling and setting a vehicle up.

Stock for stock the 2019 Ram is the best handling half ton truck available, period.

Rudolf1974

Reaction score
The ride quality of my 2019 Limited with 22's and air suspension is a lot better than my 2017 F150 with 20s. The ride of the F150 is a lot bumpier, especially with the road conditions here in Iowa. The winter weather we had here lately is catastrophic for the roads.

So I would test drive a couple competitive trucks and draw a conclusion after that.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
The Ram definitely has a much better ride than my Ford or any other truck i've ridden in but I'm talking about straight cornering feel. The Ford felt planted and more flat through corners stock than the Ram. The cornering of the Ford was very confidence inspiring and gave you that feeling that you could get on the gas earlier and carry more speed through the corner imo.

The ram beats the ford in ride quality and in steering quickness, but in an actual corner...the stock Ram left something to be desired for me. A sway bar upgrade in the front would probably work wonders, although I ended up just going with the pre-load leveling kit which took out most of the body roll while not making the ride anywhere near ford harsh.

A comparison of the ford to the ram for me is that the Ford was like my cayman, harsh around town but lots of power and flat cornering inspiring tons of confidence, while the Ram reminded me of my jag, smooth ride, more refined, but lacking some of that hooligan inspiring feels.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove an ‘18 Ford XLT Sport and liked it a lot. Then I drove a ‘19 Ram Bighorn. I bought the Ram on the spot because I was so impressed with how it felt on the road. Solid, quiet, powerful and smooth. No better riding truck in my opinion.

TerryD

Reaction score
Does the four corner air suspension do anything as far handling in turns?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I know is that I thoroughly enjoy it every time I get behind the wheel. Can’t say the same for my previous truck (2015 Sierra 1500), that thing drove like a dump truck compared to the RAM. Funny thing is I used to think it drove nice until I drove the RAM. I still had the GMC for about three of four weeks after I got the RAM and I took it for a ride one day and I could not wait to get it home! No comparison. That thing used to wheel hop all over the place on the slightest bumps, especially on curves..

WasatchBack

Reaction score
REALLY, BETTER THAN THE FORD!!! I just dumped a 2017 XLT 4WD which was the 2nd worst handling modern truck I’ve ever owned next to the 2014 Silverado I dumped after 8 miserable months. I installed a complete Ford Performance 4x4 lowering kit with Bilstein shocks, a Hellwig rear sway bar and Michelin Defender LTX tires to the XLT and my box stock Bighorn 4x2 with air suspension and Bridgestone Duelers rides smIoother, corners better and is more precise to steering input than the Ford ever was.

Could I make the Bighorn handle better, probably but it would be tremendously incremental, cost me a lot of money and ruin it for its primary purpose which is to tow my toys.

FYI, I’ve raced sports cars, Porsche primarily, for 38 years, I know a bit about handling and setting a vehicle up.

Stock for stock the 2019 Ram is the best handling half ton truck available, period.

I drive modified Audi's with track coilover suspensions, a Porsche Cayenne, drive in HPDE events and am a driving instructor for our EMS unit. This truck handles insanely well, period, not just for a large truck. I can't imagine spending money trying to improve handling, improvements will be marginal at best.

TrackDay

Reaction score
Agree with Hellwig rear sway bar. On the shortest hole it makes a very noticeable difference to turn in response and body roll.

jaychris

Reaction score
I installed the Hellwig sway bar and was frankly surprised how much difference it made. I already thought the ride was pretty good, but body roll is far less pronounced now. A worthy (and simple) upgrade IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread