5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving Fuel Mileage

tcrews

Reaction score
I recently leveled my truck and put 295s on it and my fuel mileage has taken a complete crap. Partly to be expected though. Any ideas for add on that could improve this. I spend a good bit of time on the road for work and would like to get this back up to the 16/18mpg range I was getting prior to recent mods. TIA.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Things i have heard are airing your tires up more, putting on a tonneau cover, traveling around 60-65.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here is a list of things to do...

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently leveled my truck and put 295s on it and my fuel mileage has taken a complete crap. Partly to be expected though. Any ideas for add on that could improve this. I spend a good bit of time on the road for work and would like to get this back up to the 16/18mpg range I was getting prior to recent mods. TIA.
Brotha those 295’s are heavy as hell, no way your getting your fuel mileage back with those tires on it. I ran those on my Cummins 2500 and lost like 3mpg right off the bat by putting them on. It’s hell on a half ton to have to turn those tires. They look good but you gotta pay to play!

rotts4u

Reaction score
On the highway the biggest thing effecting MPG is aerodynamic drag. The formula for drag is a little long but the important part is the drag is a function of Velocity squared. So your speed is the single biggest factor that you can control. If you go from 70 up to 75mph then the drag part of that formula is 5 squared. If you want the rest of the formula here it is

As stated above you put on big heavy wheels and tires which also works against you which is one reason I dont change or upsize tires.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
If your speedo is off because of the bigger tires, so might be your mileage per gallon lie o’meter. Just a thought. Mine says 13.3 per gallon !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/