5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impressed !

U

User_3336

I hate MDS, I turn it off everytime I start the truck. So far, in the first 3,000 miles I've averaged 19.0 mpg. Believe this is the best its every going to get, but ok with that.

My truck has seen MDS less than 5 minutes. If I forget to turn it off, I can feel it kick in, and I'm like "damn it!" LOL
and its immediately +/- to 8th.

ny2az

Reaction score
2020 limited w/ etorque ... wanted to convey my extreme happiness with this truck as well ... 1st. time Ram owner, just love everything about it ... from the air suspension to the fabulous interior ... never would have imagined myself as a Ram owner till l laid eyes on the new 1500 DT.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
2020 limited w/ etorque ... wanted to convey my extreme happiness with this truck as well ... 1st. time Ram owner, just love everything about it ... from the air suspension to the fabulous interior ... never would have imagined myself as a Ram owner till l laid eyes on the new 1500 DT.
I'm with you on the idea that I never would have considered myself a Ram owner until they redesigned the front end. Now I find myself making excuses to do something in or with my truck, just because. The other day I drove my truck to the mailbox, which is half a block away, just to be in the truck. Love my truck! :D

U

User_3336

For the 50 billionth time . . . .

ECO light is not indicative to MDS On/Off, just means you are driving economically.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this in another forum....

"My 2018 has an eco activation inside the options on the screen display. Mine was off several weeks because I didn’t know about it. I was getting 16-17 mpg with it off. Once I found it and activated it I started getting 18-19 mpg. I never had the green eco light until I enabled the option through the menu on the touch screen."............

SERIOUSLY?????????????????????????????????? Guy thinks his mileage goes up because he activated the ECO light in uconnect.

That was my point lol. Thats why the eco light means its in mds.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

ECO light is not indicative to MDS On/Off, just means you are driving economically.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this in another forum....

"My 2018 has an eco activation inside the options on the screen display. Mine was off several weeks because I didn’t know about it. I was getting 16-17 mpg with it off. Once I found it and activated it I started getting 18-19 mpg. I never had the green eco light until I enabled the option through the menu on the touch screen."............

SERIOUSLY?????????????????????????????????? Guy thinks his mileage goes up because he activated the ECO light in uconnect.

I don't think so.
From page 190 of the owners manual.
I take this to mean when the truck enters eco mode as in MDS, not that you are driving economically. ECO Mode active seems to me that this is a operating mode in the PCM, MDS. Not that you are driving in a fuel efficient mode.

Screenshot_20200924-085851_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ECO is MDS being active, and not that you are driving economically. This is not a Ford or Toyota and it isn't designed that way. My 3rd Gen was the first year to have this and one of the complaints was there was no indicator of when MDS was active. I could feel it in the gas pedal and the exhaust sound only. Now they added the light which shows the Multi Displacement System Active hence de-activating 4 cylinders fuel delivery and valve function.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

And for the 50B+1 time, this is incorrect for 5th-gens. 2018s are 4th-gens, and we've already acknowledged that they act differently.

Zig10

Reaction score
So far I'm pretty happy with mine. Absolutely love the ride, the power, the interior (especially the driver's seat), the storage nooks throughout the vehicle, the range with the 33 gallon tank, and infotainment system. I've done a 625 mile round-trip run in her and it was by far the best vehicle that I have made that trip in.

Only complaint I had (my fault for not studying more before buying) was the tow mirrors, which I have since replaced.

Like most people, my mileage is not what I was hoping for, as it basically stays at 17.5 whether I'm driving in the city, suburbs, highway, or country. I guess that's good for the city/suburb routes, anyway.
I've only got one hiccup in it so far, and that is my front air suspension dropping every night when I park it. It pumps back up in morning as soon as I open the door, so it's just annoying. I'll get it to the dealer sooner or later to have them correct it.

I test drove the F-150 and Sierra, and kept coming back to the Ram. Wouldn't change it.

silver billet

Reaction score

Nothing worse than being wrong, except being wrong so vehemently ;)

Do this. Get in your truck, use the gear limiter to set to 8th gear. Now go down the road as ECOnomically as you can. The light will NEVER turn on. Doesn't matter how long you drive, what speed, how softly you feather it, ECO light won't go on. That's because you disabled MDS by using the gear limiter.

ECO light = MDS.

U

User_3336

WHAT I SAID AS WELL WAS . . . . .

My truck NEVER sees MDS because I turn it OFF using the +/- buttons on the steering wheel......So before you so vehemently scold me, read what I posted previously...............Even if I did let MDS take over, I don't need an ECO light to know MDS has kicked in.

In a Classic (not a 5th Gen) might be different..

Nothing worse than being wrong, except being wrong so vehemently ;)

Do this. Get in your truck, use the gear limiter to set to 8th gear. Now go down the road as ECOnomically as you can. The light will NEVER turn on. Doesn't matter how long you drive, what speed, how softly you feather it, ECO light won't go on. That's because you disabled MDS by using the gear limiter.

ECO light = MDS.

delastatte

Reaction score
So you're telling me that my truck did go in the MDS mode and I just didn't realize? My eco light is still turned off ( never turned it on in settings) and I never touched the gear limiter. Cheers!

Fatherof3

Reaction score
WHAT I SAID AS WELL WAS . . . . .

My truck NEVER sees MDS because I turn it OFF using the +/- buttons on the steering wheel......So before you so vehemently scold me, read what I posted previously...............Even if I did let MDS take over, I don't need an ECO light to know MDS has kicked in.

In a Classic (not a 5th Gen) might be different..
4th gens were the same , use the +- to turn it off . I used to do that every time I got in the truck as I still do with this one .

Users who are viewing this thread