5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impressed !

delastatte

Reaction score
hey guys , im going to do something that after being on this forum for a couple of weeks i find that not many people do and thats write down how much i like this truck so far , im impressed.
We took it for a nice one day 450 miles joy ride upstate ny (we live on long island) . That includes 75% of highway driving at 70-75 mph and 25% mountain roads(happy twisties) . it was a blast. the truck had 100 miles on it before , its at 550 ish now and its averaging 19.5MPG . i think thats great ! i dont think it ever went into MDS mode as ive never seen the eco light on in the dash. So , im impressed , it drives great , sounds great (stock exhaust good enough for my taste), its very comfortable and interior i quality is better than other FCA vehicles ive owned in the past !. FCA (or whatever they're called now) did a great job with this truck and lets hope they keep it that way .
Truck is a Laramie ,hemi e torque (start/stop was turned off during this trip), stock suspension , 20" wheels / stock bridgestone alenza h/l tires ( cant wait to change them ) , 3.92 .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it!

Per your owner’s manual, you’ll need to enable your “fuel saver display” (or something like that) to see the ECO light.

Cheers.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear from happy owner also the more you drive the more it will go into MDS mode, you won't see much during break-in period.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck, and I'm happy to hear you're so impressed with it. In addition to what gHiDoRa said above, there is a setting to disable the ECO light. You might go into your settings and see if it's been disabled.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
ECO light is not indicative to MDS On/Off, just means U R driving economically.

BTW, glad U enjoy yer truck, drive it like U own it and maintain it and U should be very happy. My ONLY complaint is AC, but there are workarounds. Did U get the MFT tailgate and did it have the step???

spiG

Reaction score
Man thats good MPG compared to my non-etorque. Right now with 1k miles after 2 fill-ups avg is 16.4 with 3.92. 70/30 highway/city

turkeybird56

Reaction score
MY 19, with heavier Falken tires, gets 13-19 City, 17-22 Highway, so works for me, but WTH, it is a Hemi, LOL.....:ROFLMAO:

ADDED: I am sometimes amused (maybe too easily), PPL that go on Forums and Biotch about MPG. U buy a Hemi, a Big Chevy 6.2L, the new old Hard Block Ford 7.3 they R bringing back out, a 6.4L, why do U complain about MPG. Heck, IMHO, (tongue in cheek), go buy U a Prius and put Hemi Badges all over it, hee hee, my inane sense of humor.

Last edited:

spiG

Reaction score
MY 19, with heavier Falken tires, gets 13-19 City, 17-22 Highway, so works for me, but WTH, it is a Hemi, LOL.....:ROFLMAO:

Very true don't really care about the numbers. Have an 05 GMC 2500 6.0 that get 10mpg on the highway lol. She's gonna be for sale soon!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Very true don't really care about the numbers. Have an 05 GMC 2500 6.0 that get 10mpg on the highway lol. She's gonna be for sale soon!

I have found a sincere truism on owning a truck: Whether this Hemi, my since traded in ED, My Wife's F150 5.4L Triton (Now in WI), wateva, U buy it, U gotta feed it, unless U R into hitch hiking, LMAO....

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey guys , im going to do something that after being on this forum for a couple of weeks i find that not many people do and thats write down how much i like this truck so far , im impressed.
We took it for a nice one day 450 miles joy ride upstate ny (we live on long island) . That includes 75% of highway driving at 70-75 mph and 25% mountain roads(happy twisties) . it was a blast. the truck had 100 miles on it before , its at 550 ish now and its averaging 19.5MPG . i think thats great ! i dont think it ever went into MDS mode as ive never seen the eco light on in the dash. So , im impressed , it drives great , sounds great (stock exhaust good enough for my taste), its very comfortable and interior i quality is better than other FCA vehicles ive owned in the past !. FCA (or whatever they're called now) did a great job with this truck and lets hope they keep it that way .
Truck is a Laramie ,hemi e torque (start/stop was turned off during this trip), stock suspension , 20" wheels / stock bridgestone alenza h/l tires ( cant wait to change them ) , 3.92 .

Glad to hear about another happy owner. I have 42,357 miles on mine and still love it. The Eco light will come on more as the engine breaks in more and friction reduces just a tad to let the MDS kick in more often. I am currently averaging 16.7 MPG while not towing with the 3.92 and eTorque with Start/Stop always enabled.

nburd

Reaction score
I an glad you are having fun like I am. I love my Ram too and still get excited to drive it, every chance I can. Even staring at it in a parking lot. The paint is awesome and gloss super high. I get many thumbs up on the road as well. I have done 3600 miles in 2 months, today! It's smooth, quiet, powerful (I stomped on it for the first time at a stop light yesterday and WOW, it let go). Grinned ear to ear. The 8.4 is great and integration to Apple devices is super. I loaded up a 64 Gig flash drive with over 3000 songs and I am set for life. All I need is a gas station.

This weekend we took a road trip and came back a different route. We had about 900-1000# of weight including 4 people and 3 dogs and cargo. This is with eTorque, 3.92's and 395 HP. Mid grade fuel.

86 Miles Highway at 75-76 MPH Cruise Set. 17.5 MPG, Climate on, 62-65 degrees outside.

106 Miles back roads return trip 50-60 MPH Cruise most of the way, 19.9 MPG. Mostly 60 MPH, Climate on, 55 MPH limit (85%) with a few 45 MPH limits (10%) spots 35 and below (5%) drove 5 over the whole way so 40-60 MPH.

My 2007 Burb with 3.73s gets 15.5 all the time, period. My Son's '20 warlock HEMI, with 3.21's, the last highway trip (450 miles) at 75-78, got 14.5!

Finally the ECO light only comes on when in MDS mode. It's setting is turned on at the radio screen settings under "Display" I think. I turned it on yesterday. Interesting tidbit, my 300 Hemi's "eco" light burned out after 4 years.

I do enjoy this forum daily. It's got tons of information. I know that the many folks are here to find solutions to problems and issues as well as vent. I do feel bad for all of them, who have had issues so far (body panels with cracks, early transmission failure, oil pumps, etorque, electrical gremlins, squeaks and rattles) but I believe with so many on the road, that they are the small minority, as with any manufacturer. They build over 30,000+ trucks per month, if I recall. I was surprised to learn the LED headlights are not serviceable. They must be reliable, I guess.

That being said, enjoy your truck and share your experiences.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

BTW, glad U enjoy yer truck, drive it like U own it and maintain it and U should be very happy. My ONLY complaint is AC, but there are workarounds. Did U get the MFT tailgate and did it have the step???
That's how it worked on 4th gens, and I assumed it was the same for 5th gens. But I was quickly corrected on this by several members here when I first joined. According to them, on 5th gens, when the ECO light is on, MDS is on. Sorry, I don't remember which members or threads this was, it's been about a year LOL.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's incorrect on these 5th-gens with eTorque. We've had some loonnnnng discussions about this on previous threads. There's been exactly zero times in the past 2+ years that the ECO light has turned on without me hearing MDS engage, and exactly zero times that the light has turned off that I haven't heard the slight "whomp" as MDS has disengaged.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I get on the highway I get around the same mpg’s (same engine and axle). It’s allllll the other driving here on the island that kills the number. Long Island driving is no where near what any car manufacturer would define as “city” lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score

Then why doesn’t the light come on when you lock the gear selection? You can still drive economically that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I an glad you are having fun like I am. I love my Ram too and still get excited to drive it, every chance I can. Even staring at it in a parking lot. The paint is awesome and gloss super high. I get many thumbs up on the road as well. I have done 3600 miles in 2 months, today! It's smooth, quiet, powerful (I stomped on it for the first time at a stop light yesterday and WOW, it let go). Grinned ear to ear. The 8.4 is great and integration to Apple devices is super. I loaded up a 64 Gig flash drive with over 3000 songs and I am set for life. All I need is a gas station.

This weekend we took a road trip and came back a different route. We had about 900-1000# of weight including 4 people and 3 dogs and cargo. This is with eTorque, 3.92's and 395 HP. Mid grade fuel.

86 Miles Highway at 75-76 MPH Cruise Set. 17.5 MPG, Climate on, 62-65 degrees outside.

106 Miles back roads return trip 50-60 MPH Cruise most of the way, 19.9 MPG. Mostly 60 MPH, Climate on, 55 MPH limit (85%) with a few 45 MPH limits (10%) spots 35 and below (5%) drove 5 over the whole way so 40-60 MPH.

My 2007 Burb with 3.73s gets 15.5 all the time, period. My Son's '20 warlock HEMI, with 3.21's, the last highway trip (450 miles) at 75-78, got 14.5!

Finally the ECO light only comes on when in MDS mode. It's setting is turned on at the radio screen settings under "Display" I think. I turned it on yesterday. Interesting tidbit, my 300 Hemi's "eco" light burned out after 4 years.

I do enjoy this forum daily. It's got tons of information. I know that the many folks are here to find solutions to problems and issues as well as vent. I do feel bad for all of them, who have had issues so far (body panels with cracks, early transmission failure, oil pumps, etorque, electrical gremlins, squeaks and rattles) but I believe with so many on the road, that they are the small minority, as with any manufacturer. They build over 30,000+ trucks per month, if I recall. I was surprised to learn the LED headlights are not serviceable. They must be reliable, I guess.

That being said, enjoy your truck and share your experiences.
Yeah, LED lights a big hit if need replacing. Hopefully down the road there will be aftermarket at a better price. I believe the removal and install is a bit of a project, particularly compared to the "old days". My 65+ year old eyes appreciate the lighting and I would say it is a safety item for me worth the "high" cost.

rzims

Reaction score
Congrats and glad you're enjoying your truck. I'm in the same boat. I love this thing. Had an 05 F150 and then a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This thing is way nicer than either of those and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I've had it 11 months now and just hit 22,000 miles.
I've got bigger (heavier) tires and am still averaging about 17 with a mix of city/hwy driving, but as others have said, I didn't buy a full size truck for the mileage.

Last edited:

hoodac78

Reaction score
I'm with you man. Love driving my truck, and I look forward to the next time I get to drive it. Haven't had any issues and its just a real pleasure to drive. Responsive, comfortable and does everything I ask it to. Couldn't be happier with my purchase and I hope I get a lot of miles out of it in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread