5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impressed with mileage

jcjohn

Reaction score
My brother and I drove to MT from Iowa for an elk hunt last week. With a medium load on the way out and fully loaded on the way back, we managed 16.7 mpg over 2,650 miles. This included significant mountain driving. My cruise was set on 85 once we hit SD on the way out, and 89 for most of the way back. The Ram did a phenomenal job for us, and I couldn't be happier with overall performance.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brother and I drove to MT from Iowa for an elk hunt last week. With a medium load on the way out and fully loaded on the way back, we managed 16.7 mpg over 2,650 miles. This included significant mountain driving. My cruise was set on 85 once we hit SD on the way out, and 89 for most of the way back. The Ram did a phenomenal job for us, and I couldn't be happier with overall performance.
So tell us more about the full load on the way back! Bull? Cow?

jcjohn

Reaction score
So tell us more about the full load on the way back! Bull? Cow?
I was blessed to be the only guy in camp to shoot a bull. We hunted 6 hard days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness covering 100 miles on horseback and 30 on foot. Hardest I've ever worked for an animal and I've been hunting my whole life (35+ years).

Outfitter estimated he was 12-15 years old and around 900 pounds. We brought back over 200 pounds of vacuum sealed organic meat iced down heavy in a couple of Igloo 150s. That plus gear and horns made for a full cab and bed.
IMG_3102.JPG

Kaderast

Reaction score
Wow!!! I lived in MT for a number of years and saw plenty of big bulls, but that one is up there! Did you get a measurement yet?

Congrats, sounds like an awesome hunt. Glad you didn't get eaten by a grizz in The Bob.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Wow!!! I lived in MT for a number of years and saw plenty of big bulls, but that one is up there! Did you get a measurement yet?

Congrats, sounds like an awesome hunt. Glad you didn't get eaten by a grizz in The Bob.
Thank you very much my friend. He is a massive 6x6 and green scored 339". Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime hunt and bull, and I still can't believe it to be honest.

Lol, one of the groups of hunters in camp saw a grizz with a cub, but she behaved and ran off after she got the guys' wind. Definitely got the guide's blood pressure going and he had his .45-70 shouldered and ready just in case she decided to close the 50 or so yards between he and the hunters. Everyone was relieved that she beat it out of there without incident.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was blessed to be the only guy in camp to shoot a bull. We hunted 6 hard days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness covering 100 miles on horseback and 30 on foot. Hardest I've ever worked for an animal and I've been hunting my whole life (35+ years).

Outfitter estimated he was 12-15 years old and around 900 pounds. We brought back over 200 pounds of vacuum sealed organic meat iced down heavy in a couple of Igloo 150s. That plus gear and horns made for a full cab and bed.
View attachment 106520
That's awesome! I have several new hunting buddies out west and the hunts are jealously inducing for Ana Alabama whitetail hunter. Job well done and definitely the hunt of a lifetime.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I love Montana...was there earlier this summer and camped a few nights. It's one of my "Happy Places" for sure!! Some boring driving to get there but a RAM makes it more enjoyable 😉

Users who are viewing this thread