5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing to California from another state

Ram92131

Reaction score
Getting close to finally pulling the trigger on a new 2019 Limited. I'm in SoCal, but I may buy outside of California and drive it back. Has anyone done this recently? What extra steps did you need to take with the DMV? And are all the 2019 trucks 50-state legal? I don't see anything like "California Emissions" listed on the sticker so it's unclear.

Thanks for any input!

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Just moved from Texas to SoCal weeks after my truck got delivered... pretty straight forward and easy go with the truck to any smog check shop pay the ~50$? fee, drive it to the dmv show it for inspection like any other vehicle... pay the registration fees and difference in vehicle / sales tax if there is any I think my total was ~1500$ whereas vast majority was tax difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonestar21

Reaction score
If your in SoCal why not check out Huntington Beach Ram or in nor-cal
South county ram in Gilroy
They both have great prices beats any other dealer that I researched here in CA

Ram92131

Reaction score
Just moved from Texas to SoCal weeks after my truck got delivered... pretty straight forward and easy go with the truck to any smog check shop pay the ~50$? fee, drive it to the dmv show it for inspection like any other vehicle... pay the registration fees and difference in vehicle / sales tax if there is any I think my total was ~1500$ whereas vast majority was tax difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, any issues as far as the truck being 50-state legal (emissions)? Are all trucks 50-state legal?

Ram92131

Reaction score
If your in SoCal why not check out Huntington Beach Ram or in nor-cal
South county ram in Gilroy
They both have great prices beats any other dealer that I researched here in CA

Thanks. Neither one has the spec I'm looking for, unfortunately.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
You should be fine, you still will be charged all the California fees and your local tax rate and a longer drive. The dealer should take care of all the out of state paper work
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread