5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of leveling and increasing tire size on ABS/ESC/Traction Control and other safety features

Chebob

Reaction score
I want to increase clearance on my 2019 Ram 1500 Sport (Canada only?) which is fully loaded with tons of safety features. Everywhere I’m reading online and in the videos I’m viewing I’m only finding people who seem to want to alter their trucks for cosmetic reasons. There doesn’t seem to be any concern for the impacts leveling or increasing tire size could have on the electronic safety features. My tire guy said changing from the factor OEM 275/55/18R to any larger size will negatively affect features such as the speedometer, ABS, and ESC. He suggested I ask if these features can be recalibrated after increasing tire size, but I cannot find information online where there seems to be little concern for how these features are affected. Instead the primary goal is repeatedly to create a desired “aggressive” look. I want function over form. My hope is to increase clearance for hunting season as I climb over rugged terrain, but I’m also not looking to do performance off-roaring. I’d just like a modest level and modest tire size increase to something like 275/65/18r or an additional two inches from tires after a two inch leveling for a grand total of 3-4 inch increase. Thoughts?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
The simple answer is likely yes, changing tire size can affect the speedometer and Odometer, though I am not sure it would affect traction control and such. I don't think the lift will affect any of these, but it might affect things like the auto high beams, and possibly adaptive cruise control (especially if nose high) though I am not really sure.

If you change tire size, you will want to have the system calibrated for the new tires. This will correct the speedometer, odometer, shift points, etc. A dealership may be willing to do this for a fee, or there are ways to do it yourself. I did mine using AlfaOBD. It is quite easy and made a big difference.

lawmann8

Reaction score
LP…do you know the circumstance of a Toyo Open Country AT3 tire size 33x12.50R22 in millimeters? I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 that I recently leveled and installed these tires. Hoping to use ALFAOBD to update tires. Thanks for any advice you have.

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I bumped up to Kanati Mud Hogs about 6 months ago (275/60/20) basically a 33”x11” havent had any issues with traction control working it still kicks in when I spin the tires. I had an issue with my speedometer being about 5mph off (according to my GPS) I changed the tire size when I installed my Pulsar and the problem went away.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Consider going quality components, and having a good shop to install everything. Also, the 275/65/R18 is the standard tire size for an ORP equipped truck from the factory (well, at least mines was). You’ll mostly see a slight hit in gas mileage, if anything. But what you say you are planning to do with your truck is well within range of what can be done safely within OEM specs.
Your speedo can be recalibrated, and you will retain all functionality of safety features. Of course, other OEM components will wear quicker than normal…nature of the beast.
But, if you do your due diligence, you can get form AND function, as long as you do it right from the get go. Good luck👍

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of the few negative impacts from leveling I can see that nobody talks about would be the headlight aim being off.
That's not a negative impact, because they should be adjusted as part of the level process.

D52670

Reaction score
I did a 2in leveling kit on my 21 1500 limited on air ride. Added some 35s. No issues with traction control or any other electronics.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did a 2in leveling kit on my 21 1500 limited on air ride. Added some 35s. No issues with traction control or any other electronics.
Did you recalibrate for the larger tire size?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The greatest impact to safety with taller, heavier tires is the increased braking distance. Go out and test it yourself. You add a LOT of additional distance when you go with a taller 10-ply tire...enough that it could mean the difference between rear ending someone or not.

Still, I will never drive a truck with flimsy, itty bitty 31" tires on it. That's just pathetic.

D52670

Reaction score
Any issues with tire rubbing?
Full lock to the left backing up or going forward to fast, only time it rubbed was parking. Trimmed maybe a 3x3 piece off the inner fender well and it stopped. I wouldn’t worry about the rubbing if your even. Little mechanically inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread