5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm Starting to Notice a Trend

Snekpete

Reaction score
1) Auto Start/Stop - Definitely bad for the engine and longevity, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
2) 0W-20 Motor Oil - Arguably bad for the engine and longevity, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
3) MDS - Probably bad for the engine and longevity, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
4) 55/45 Tire Pressure - Bad for handling, saves a tiny amount of fuel.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1) Auto start/stop is probably a waste of time for what is a tiny amount of fuel savings, not sure about the RAM, but other vehicles like the F150 have strategies to prevent excessive engine wear, such as a top end that holds oil longer at the top of the engine when stopped to maintain lubrication. That's why it takes 15 minutes to check the oil on a Ecoboost.

2) 0W-20 motor oil has two camps, one that believes its only for fuel savings, others that believe modern high-tolerance engines actual benefit from it. The Hemi 5.7L has always used 20W from what I know, the truth could be somewhere in the middle, but as of now, I rather use 0W-20 than 5W-30. I won't be changing unless someone has proof these engines benefit from that, there is plenty of opinions that suggest thicker oil hurts these motors. Either way, I going to use the factory recommendation while under warranty. My oil analysis so far have been impressive using 5W-20.

3) The MDS is something I can't stand, overly complicated for what amounts to a small amount of fuel savings, I feel absolutely effects engine longevity.

4) The 55/45 tire pressure is specifically on the Rebel (maybe also ORP?), and I don't think it's to save any fuel. It has to do with the spec Duratrac tires and weight of the Rebel package. Other RAMs depending on the tires are 36/36 or various other ranges.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1) Auto Start/Stop - Definitely bad for the engine and longevity, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
2) 0W-20 Motor Oil - Arguably bad for the engine and longevity, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
3) MDS - Probably bad for the engine and longevity, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
4) 55/45 Tire Pressure - Bad for handling, saves a tiny amount of fuel.
Seems like a pretty subjective list.

Users who are viewing this thread