5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm an Idiot, don't do this.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to change my wipers as it's been two years. I had the wiper arm flipped up and bumped it with my arm and it snapped down and cracked my windshield. That was a very expensive mistake.

For anyone changing your wipers, be careful or put something on the windshield in case this happens to you.

The funny thing is this windshield has taken some serious rocks that I thought would ahve cracked it and it's held up great.
a8c135ad5b14b3e32aad1c7f90d63d85.jpg
1dce63b5f113dd1c198dbc3ee1db88a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks. I just changed mine last weekend, and almost did the same thing. In the back of my mind, I wondered what would happen if it snapped down. Now I know.

BigD

Reaction score
I had Discount Tire change my wiper blades for $24. Seems a whole lot easier.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Discount Tire change my wiper blades for $24. Seems a whole lot easier.
It's normally a 30 second job...but apparently not today! Oh well, what can you do!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I place an old bath towel that I use in the garage on the windshield under the wiper arm when I'm messing with them. I've had on snap down unintended but with the blade on so I use a towel now

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update. Got a quote. $1363 for an OEM replacement. He said the aftermarket windshields problems with the sensors and it's strongly recommended to go OEM.

dmitryDS

Reaction score
I checked with my local glass shop and they quoted $450 (Canadian $$) for glass.

PS they did successfully fix a big stone chip on my windshield, while dealer said best we can do is replace whole windshield

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have insurance on the windshield?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm going to call them when I have time and see. The windshield is ordered and should be in next week

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update. Got a quote. $1363 for an OEM replacement. He said the aftermarket windshields problems with the sensors and it's strongly recommended to go OEM.

I don’t know, looks like a rock hit it to me! Must’ve been behind a dump truck…

Take it from me, just get OEM. I had 2 different aftermarket windshields in my current truck before getting an OEM. Both aftermarket windshields caused erratic performance with DASM functions.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Take it from me, just get OEM. I had 2 different aftermarket windshields in my current truck before getting an OEM. Bot aftermarket windshields caused erratic performance with DASM functions.
That is exactly what I would be telling Geico. Road hazard. "I was just driving along in traffic and a piece of gravel came out of nowhere and smacked the windshield. Scared the heck out of me."

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Take it from me, just get OEM. I had 2 different aftermarket windshields in my current truck before getting an OEM. Both aftermarket windshields caused erratic performance with DASM functions.
The installer said he will deal with the insurance and doesn't even need to call.

Also he said he will only do OEM on these trucks. He said they have had issues with aftermarket getting the sensors to function, so that's the route we're going.

He said it was the only one in Canada, so hopefully it comes in!

Users who are viewing this thread