5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm a little lost on Uconnect 4 and Remote Start

Reaction score
My build sheet for the 2021 Big Horn says I have Uconnect 4 with 8.4" Display. The truck has the Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group and remote start.

I thought I read that I could do remote start with Uconnect from my iPhone. Maybe I misread or didn't understand what I have? The Uconnect app says I have no active subscriptions.

Am I confusing what I have with the vehicles that have the navigation and assist capabilities?

It seems also that I can't access vehicle health reports through the MOPAR website, so I'm assuming this is all related?

Having said all that, I'm OK with what I have but is there a path to upgrade to additional features so I can have remote start from the phone, health reports, other features that might be accessible through an app?

I'm looking forward to owning this truck, so far I am thoroughly enjoying it.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have the optional nav on your truck, then you don't have the XM Guardian service that came bundled with it. The XM Guardian service is what provides the remote start from your phone app capability.

Don't worry, if you don't have it you're not missing much. I found the app and service nearly useless when I had it with my Charger. Definitely not worth paying for when the free trial was over.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
If you don't have the optional nav on your truck, then you don't have the XM Guardian service that came bundled with it. The XM Guardian service is what provides the remote start from your phone app capability.

Don't worry, if you don't have it you're not missing much. I found the app and service nearly useless when I had it with my Charger. Definitely not worth paying for when the free trial was over.
I also find the remote starting from the phone useless. It takes so long I could walk out to my truck and remote start with the FOB before the signal gets sent from the phone.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you won't miss anything, i went with after market remote start system and love it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I also find the remote starting from the phone useless. It takes so long I could walk out to my truck and remote start with the FOB before the signal gets sent from the phone.
Yep. Agreed. OP shouldn't feel bad. It's pretty useless and after a year they want you to pony up ~20-25 bucks per month for the privilege. No thanks.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plus the XM Guardian service is only free for the first year. After that you have to pay for it.

I used mine twice in the first year, mostly just to do it. I dropped it like a bad habit at the end of the trial and don't miss it at all.

My wife just bought a new Ford Ranger and that service is free for the life of the vehicle. :sneaky:

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly. I work towards the back of my plant and I thought it would be useful to start my Charger with the app as I left my department and walked up front. Charger would be nice and warmed up by time I got out to the parking lot right? Wrong. Only worked about 50% of the time and as you say, took so long to send the command that I might as well just walk up front to a window and start it with the fob. Even when it did work, half the time the app wouldn't/couldn't confirm the command was received so I didn't know if the car was actually running or not.

Users who are viewing this thread