5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IIHS 2019 Ram 1500 Safety Rating - Headlights LED vs. Halogen

Troop2865

Reaction score
I know a while back there was some discussion regarding LED headlights versus halogen headlights. I know we all have our preferences, but I wondered if there was any objective testing. A Google search resulted in finding IIHS safety testing of the new 2019 Ram. They test the vehicles in crashes, but also look at things like headlight ability/quality.

When testing the Ram, both halogen and LED, all were given a marginal rating. Some of the rating was due to side illumination and lack of the headlights turning to illuminate around curves in the road. What I found interesting is that the halogen headlights out performed the LED reflective headlights when using low beams. The LED's had a slight advantage when using high beams. Using both low and high beams, the differences were nominal. The LED projector headlights did better than the LED reflective headlights or the halogen headlights on low beam, but did not do as well as them on high beam. I guess the bottom line is there is no silver bullet when it comes to Ram headlights.

Anyway, here is a link to the testing. I find this stuff interesting.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ram/1500-crew-cab-pickup

Jordan2929

Reaction score
IMO I think there's no comparison to the light output of rams led and halogen. The biggest problem is from the factory they come adjusted much to low, I've adjusted mine up and have absolutely no complaints.

Horkn

Reaction score
I read the iihs article and then I read about people's thoughts on the LED headlamps here on the forum. I then dismissed what the iihs report said.

Then last night, on my way home, a new ram, big horn or Laramie, as it wasn't a rebel, and not a longhorn or LTD, pulled out on the highway behind me. The headlights were on low, and it was bright, and cast nice and wide, but didn't blind me either. I'm sure they are just fine.

DeanKing

Reaction score
IMO I think there's no comparison to the light output of rams led and halogen. The biggest problem is from the factory they come adjusted much to low, I've adjusted mine up and have absolutely no complaints.
I didn’t adjust mine and already deal with a lot of people flashing me because they think my brights are on. Which is ignorant cause you can’t have fog lights and brights on at the same time. Then I go to flash my highs back at them but the auto high beams prevents me from doing that. By then the offending flashing car is past and I am aggravated I could not educate another automotive Ill-informed idiot. Clearly I let stupid things bother me way too much but I digress. I find the LED headlights fine without adjustment.

Horkn

Reaction score
I didn’t adjust mine and already deal with a lot of people flashing me because they think my brights are on. Which is ignorant cause you can’t have fog lights and brights on at the same time. Then I go to flash my highs back at them but the auto high beams prevents me from doing that. By then the offending flashing car is past and I am aggravated I could not educate another automotive Ill-informed idiot. Clearly I let stupid things bother me way too much but I digress. I find the LED headlights fine without adjustment.

Some vehicles do allow the fog lights to be on when the high beams are on. Right from the factory.
My Audi is that way.

RockJock

Reaction score
I drove a Limited in the dark just to see the lights in action. I thought they were great.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Some vehicles do allow the fog lights to be on when the high beams are on. Right from the factory.
My Audi is that way.
I am very surprised by this. I have owned many makes of vehicles that did not allow this. But never owned an Audi. You sure you aren’t referring to the DRLs? Or do you mean you can have both high beams and fog lights by manually pulling the stick back and holding it? Most vehicles I have owned will do that.

Chill72

Reaction score
I don’t know what they used to get their measurements but LED lights are substantially better than the halogen variants. It isn’t even close.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can get the high beams on my 2014 with foglights too. Just use the "flash to pass" instead of on permanently.

Horkn

Reaction score
I am very surprised by this. I have owned many makes of vehicles that did not allow this. But never owned an Audi. You sure you aren’t referring to the DRLs? Or do you mean you can have both high beams and fog lights by manually pulling the stick back and holding it? Most vehicles I have owned will do that.

Yes, I'm talking fog lights, not DRL. It will also leave the low beams on with the high beam, and the fog lights.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you adjust them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeanKing

Reaction score
How do you adjust them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has continued to bug me as something I have never heard of and started googling. Is your Audi an originally sold US model? Were you the original purchaser new?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This has continued to bug me as something I have never heard of and started googling. Is your Audi an originally sold US model? Were you the original purchaser new?
My MB was also like this. I could have fog lights and highs at the same time.
Anywho. The LEDs on my Limted are the best headlights I’ve had on any vehicle. Period.

Horkn

Reaction score

It's a us model, but very rare 4.2 v8 allroad. Only 800 were made in 2 model years globally.

Dgulia

Reaction score
I love the reflective LEDs on my Laramie. I think no comparison with halogen there. But I did have to adjust to them as they reflect off the stuff differently. Also once fog lights are turned on you get the sides/ wide light too.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have a Big Horn with premium LED Lighting Group and have just driven once in the dark. (retired and don't do a lot of night driving-just had it for two weeks) But I did think the lights were a little low and didn't project the distance I thought they should. When I turn without my fog lights already on, they come on when I am making my turn lighting up the turning area great. I am going in for a tonneau cover install this Friday and will have them check the lights for proper setting. They are a lot better than halogens even the way they are aimed currently. Of course I don't want them aimed too high blinding vehicles coming toward me so maybe they are okay .

Users who are viewing this thread