5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IHC 3/5 Lowering Kit on 2020 RAM 1500 4x4

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
jajajaja man I feel you on the bad roads, I live in Sh!tvannah Ga for now. Running through SC on 95 is a poor choice for any vehicle.

One of the things to check is the hole the sway bar end links go through on the IHC lower control arm (I heard they fixed it) the ID of the whole is to big for the sway bar link (also check if they cut the thread shorter on the link so you can properly tighten it down) I had to make a hat bushing to take up the difference.

To stop the sway bar from hitting the springs I took the sway bar to a heavy equipment repair shop that does truck springs and had them slightly spread the sway bar open. It clears the springs by 0.1500" - 0.2000" so that is good enough for me.
Roger. I'll get my pry bar and check the sway bar holes tonight, and make sure the tips are cut. I've got some fresh cutoff wheels and grinding discs so I'll be good there.

I'll check the sway bar clearance again as well and get a picture for ya.

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
I found the clinkeddy noise! The sway bar ends are loose in the holes, like you said. What hat washers did you use, out of curiosity?

As for the sway bar links even being remotely close to the struts or springs, not a chance with the apparently newer 4WD kit. There is so much space, I could slide a proper sub sandwich in between there lol
The pocket for the sway bar links also accounts for the full length of the thread, so no cutting of those are needed.
The tie rods are also almost... fully level already. I do not think the bump-steer kit would provide me much, if any benefit here.
The 4WD kit appears to be somewhat radically different looking than the 2WD kit from all of the pictures that I can see, particularly with the lower strut mount!

Video of what I found here:

Also, tracked down the part number for the IHC shocks. 919500. Look to be pretty cheap boys, which explains the "bounce" I'm getting when coming to a stop since dropping them. They're perfectly serviceable while driving, but will probably hunt something better from Fox or Bilstein to match later.

From Pro-X (who seems to be the OEM) it seems the shocks have been deprecated and replaced with their newer offering here: PRO-X Twin Tube Shock Absorber - 919500B - Pro Comp

Attachments

• 20240422_190457.jpg
    20240422_190457.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240422_190516.jpg
    20240422_190516.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240422_190618.jpg
    20240422_190618.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

TittoPollito

Reaction score
I found the clinkeddy noise! The sway bar ends are loose in the holes, like you said. What hat washers did you use, out of curiosity?

As for the sway bar links even being remotely close to the struts or springs, not a chance with the apparently newer 4WD kit. There is so much space, I could slide a proper sub sandwich in between there lol
The pocket for the sway bar links also accounts for the full length of the thread, so no cutting of those are needed.
The tie rods are also almost... fully level already. I do not think the bump-steer kit would provide me much, if any benefit here.
The 4WD kit appears to be somewhat radically different looking than the 2WD kit from all of the pictures that I can see, particularly with the lower strut mount!

Video of what I found here:

Also, tracked down the part number for the IHC shocks. 919500. Look to be pretty cheap boys, which explains the "bounce" I'm getting when coming to a stop since dropping them. They're perfectly serviceable while driving, but will probably hunt something better from Fox or Bilstein to match later.

From Pro-X (who seems to be the OEM) it seems the shocks have been deprecated and replaced with their newer offering here: PRO-X Twin Tube Shock Absorber - 919500B - Pro Comp
Good to know that everything else seems to be correct!!! It does seem like the lack of trimming of that ear is your steering issue, since that setup is no where near as funky as the 2wd stuff. I machined the hat bushing I needed for the sway bar link (kind of a perk of having a fab shop in the home garage). There are a couple of other threads on here about the IHC stuff, in one of them the guy gives a Viking shocks PN to use for the rear (I believe they are for a Ford ranger). I have use Viking stuff in the past and have nothing bad to say about them

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
I might have to hit you up to fab a couple of the hat bushings you made then, lube your pockets with a quick touch of PayPal grease 👀

I would imagine the sway bar link threads are the same size from 2wd to 4wd, and it looks like the holes in the arms are the same oversized deal, relatively same depth. Lemme know if you're game for it!

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know that everything else seems to be correct!!! It does seem like the lack of trimming of that ear is your steering issue, since that setup is no where near as funky as the 2wd stuff. I machined the hat bushing I needed for the sway bar link (kind of a perk of having a fab shop in the home garage). There are a couple of other threads on here about the IHC stuff, in one of them the guy gives a Viking shocks PN to use for the rear (I believe they are for a Ford ranger). I have use Viking stuff in the past and have nothing bad to say about them

Unless something has changed recently, Viking told me that they don’t make anything for the 5th Gen Rams. Some of us are using the Bilstein 5100 shocks from an early 90s Ford Ranger for the rear. P/N 24-185684.

Last edited:

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Unless something has changed recently, Viking told me that they don’t make anything for the 5th Gen Rams. Some of us are using the Bilstein 5100 shocks from an early 90s Ford Ranger for the rear. P/N 24-185684.
You are correct Viking makes nothing for the 5th gen hence why I said I believe they are for the Ranger. It should be one of the following numbers (you would need to cross-reference the above PN to be sure) but they will be a bit more spendy than the Bilstein stuff or at least they were last time I really looked at prices of stuff they both offered.

1713954763014.png
@TheFoodMan52 Yeah I will knock you out a couple of bushings, it will be a few weeks as I am heading out of town this afternoon for my "real" job. You will be ok though I think I put like 4-5K miles before I did mine (also a work related emergency)

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
You are correct Viking makes nothing for the 5th gen hence why I said I believe they are for the Ranger. It should be one of the following numbers (you would need to cross-reference the above PN to be sure) but they will be a bit more spendy than the Bilstein stuff or at least they were last time I really looked at prices of stuff they both offered.

View attachment 181812
@TheFoodMan52 Yeah I will knock you out a couple of bushings, it will be a few weeks as I am heading out of town this afternoon for my "real" job. You will be ok though I think I put like 4-5K miles before I did mine (also a work related emergency)
All good, I'm not taking the truck too far out currently. Only 'major' trip coming up is a drive to Atlanta for a convention coming up here on May 9th, then going back to Tallahassee. Couple hundred miles, nothing that it shouldn't be fine to handle for now.

Users who are viewing this thread