5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If your 2019 - 2021 Ram Key Fobs don't work and your truck won't start please read the following.

007harley

Reaction score
I took my 2020 Ram into the dealership because the truck wouldn't start and the key fobs stopped working. They told me it was due to a leak around the 3rd brake light assembly that corroded the receiver wireless control module. Although I had the extended warranty, I did a little research and found that this is a known issue and the warranty on this part has been extended to 10 years/ 150,000 miles.
This letter is to inform you that the warranty period on your vehicle’s Center High Mounted Stop

Lamp (CHMSL) has been extended to 10 years/ 150,000 miles. This warranty extension on the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) applies to select 2019 - 2021 RAM 1500 Pickup vehicles. Our records show that you own or lease one of the vehicles affected by this warranty extension. We are extending the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) warranty period because some of the affected vehicles within the above-referenced population may experience water on the headliner, water at the back of the cab or a leak from the third brake/cargo light/CHMSL. If you are experiencing any of these conditions now, or if you experience them in the future, simply contact your dealer to have the appropriate repair performed. Link to the full letter https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/XG1.pdf

However, my dealer only covered the replacement of the CHMSL. Luckily I had the extended warranty to help cover the cost of the "receiver wireless control module". Even the dealer was surprised that this part isn't covered under the extended warranty because it failed due to the water leaking in. However, if you already paid for this repair, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. Visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit an online reimbursement request. Good luck to all

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The warranty on the rear window was also extended similarly. Both of these are well documented in threads here. But it doesn't hurt to post it again for newer members who might not have read those threads. I agree that it's wrong that the warranty extension only covers the CHMSL (non-LED version only) or rear window, and doesn't include anything that may have been damaged as well. The CHMSL itself can be purchased for under $50 including shipping, but the damage that occurs because of it leaking can be in the thousands of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread