5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you don't use Ram navigation, any benefit to the 12" screen?

jastevenson

Reaction score
In my experience, Google or Apple Maps is far superior to any automaker's nav system. Their voice recognition is also way better. So I always use Carplay via my iPhone instead of the built-in nav. I also use Spotify to play my music.

If I never plan to use built-in nav system, is there really any benefit to the 12" screen over the standard 8.4" screen?

If there was a way to run TWO carplay apps at the same time (Spotify on top, Apple Maps on bottom), I'd totally get the 12"!

detroit_auto_show_2018_dodge_ram_5695.jpg

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I never plan to use built-in nav system, is there really any benefit to the 12" screen over the standard 8.4" screen?

If there was a way to run TWO carplay apps at the same time (Spotify on top, Apple Maps on bottom), I'd totally get the 12"!

as you now the 12" screen is very nice. i have played with the different layouts and i'm somewhat dissapointed that i have to reset the dual screens up every time i get in the truck. i have the settings saved to my FOB but nothing seems to save

carplay only works if the cable is plugged into the phone, only certian apps i don't care about are availabe. i thought i'd be able to mirror my entire phone on the large display and be able to use my phone.

i am not unhappy with the 12" screen, but the 8.4" would have served my needs as the prior unit did in my 4th gen laramie.

DeanKing

Reaction score
You cannot run two CarPlay apps split screen but you can do what you want. You run your mapping software in the top screen in the CarPlay window. You also use your steaming app in CarPlay. I use Pandora. Then you put the built in media player in the lower screen. It runs whatever your current media selection is which would be CarPlay Pandora in this case. There is no thumbs up/down or channel list but you see song time artist pause skip forward and the artwork. I can’t really describe how much nicer a full 12” nav app is than the 8” CarPlay google maps. I am still getting used to it because it is different. I will say it is the best built in nav I have ever used but I am still deciding if I like it better. Than CarPlay. There are a few software changes that would really make it better. I need to learn the voice nav for POI. If I can’t simply say “take me to x in the city of y” then it isn’t as good. I can do that with Google maps. Btw I just got my truck which was built in September with the latest updates and everything remembers just fine. I have found one minor glitch with guidance mute. Other than that the uconnect software is working as designed.

cjmst23

Reaction score
12" screen is the "sex and violence" added to a movie that makes it more fun to watch, but doesn't add anything to the story.

The 12" is really good... But it could have been much better. They didn't do enough with the added real estate.

One issue is that it is really just a stretched out version of the 8.4. I can't do anything with it that wasn't available with my 2013 8.4 uconnect other than carplay.

Another issue is I think they could have had more physical buttons if the space was used more economically.

Overall, I love it, but some software additions could make it spectacular.... But I seriously doubt any sw updates will be added functionality... Just bug fixes.

jerry

Reaction score
I love the google map satellite view and pandora on the bottom screen,but now I just turn the screen off unless I need the maap for directions. I believe a 10 or 12 inch screen in a landscape position would definitely been the bees knees.

cjmst23

Reaction score
12" screen is the "sex and violence" added to a movie that makes it more fun to watch, but doesn't add anything to the story.

The 12" is really good... But it could have been much better. They didn't do enough with the added real estate.

One issue is that it is really just a stretched out version of the 8.4. I can't do anything with it that wasn't available with my 2013 8.4 uconnect other than carplay.

Another issue is I think they could have had more physical buttons if the space was used more economically.

Overall, I love it, but some software additions could make it spectacular.... But I seriously doubt any sw updates will be added functionality... Just bug fixes.
Wasted space that could be used for buttons we actually need to use... 2018-10-27 11.36.32.jpg

MikeHoncho

Reaction score
I am actually in the process of deciding this on the Ram Rebel with the "12Package" Do I need 12" screen? No I can do just fine with the 8.4", however I do like the stereo upgrade that comes along with the 12" screen.

DWWillms

Reaction score
I have the 12 inch screen in my Limited. Because the navigation top search menu does not yet have full functionality, and because of its associated bugs, I wish that the Limited had the option of the 8 inch screen. You have (in my opinion) better button layout, more features (vehicle health reports, user manual built in, etc...), and a larger number of people have the 8 inch screens (so problems/updates will be addressed faster). Often times, I notice the 12 inch screen could be utilized better (surround view camera with backup camera only uses half screen, with the backup camera alone uses 1/2 of it). With that being said, the 12 inch looks very nice and I've not actually tested the 8 inch screen.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a 2019 GC with the 8.4, I don't spend a lot of time in it, but I've never seen a bluetooth connect button in hers to stream music w/o physically plugging it in. I could be wrong though. I do use the bluetooth connect all the time to listen to pandora, Iheart radio etc. I actually enjoy utilizing the touchscreen button across the bottom of the screen. For me its convenient since my right arm spends a lot of time resting on the arm rest right where the buttons are located.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I run maps and Apple Music at the same time on split screen

^^^^^ THIS!

Since the onboard maps are 4th Qtr 2017 - with no new maps on the horizon. This in and of itself is UTTER BS. My Honda Pilot ran Garmin Maps for it's GPS - updated at least every 6 months (free for 5 years). And the interface is kind of GARBAGE, clunky and nearly unusable. The GPS in the truck is a case of SWUNG ON AND MISSED.

Google Maps (for all it's shortcomings) is head and shoulders above most (Apple maps, while better in IOS13, is still spotty). I don't care for Waze myself - childish interface. I also run Co-Pilot on my tab & phone.

Google maps in satellite view works good. Tap screen, press microphone, ask for something and it finds it (90+% of the time) - traffic is good/excellent (re-route could be a little better). I like that you can do a route on your phone, out of the truck, and it picks it up once connected.

Split screen is very cool (as opposed to smaller screens). I usually run itunes - I have a ginormous music collection that's mirrored in the cloud (+ Apple Music), so I rarely listen to XM (prefer my choice of music without commercials - though I found a lot of "new artists" on Pandora by listening to specific artists and hearing others from that "genre").

The only thing I listen to on XM - is The Patriot Channel (conservative talk radio) - so unless they give me some GREAT DEAL, I won't be renewing when the free stuff is up.

I got my Limited because of many of the cool/convenience features that were standard - plus the dealers usually "load them up" with ALL the options. Very few I would have passed on, had I "build & ordered" mine and waited for delivery - luckily I found just the one I wanted on a dealers lot - actually - the ONLY ONE in all of Fl with the color choice AND the MFT (which I sometimes regret).

All in all - I will likely NEVER USE the built in Nav, especially if they don't UPDATE THE MAPS (it should be CRIMINAL to deliver a vehicle in 2019, with maps from 2017).

But I appreciate the HUGE REAL ESTATE the 12" allows me to operate in - especially since I don't have to put my readers on to see it. If I could get google maps to run in the full 12", I'd be in HEAVEN.

The PITA is that CarPlay requires a hardwire connection, which makes it clunky and unnecessary to use the "RamCharger" wireless charging. I use a BlueParrot Headset for calls most of the time (leftover from my "trucker days" - nothing beats a BlueParrot) so I NEVER USE bluetooth anyways. The handsfree calling is fair/good (as far as folks telling me they can hear background noise) - but I can run the all the windows down/sunroof open - and all you can hear is ME on the BlueParrot (I am not an employee or paid spokesperson for BlueParrot - LOL).

YMMV...

Rick

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I partially agree; they could absolutely do more to take advantage of all of this real estate. The full-screen nav is an excellent example.

That said, having two 8.4” screens stacked on top of each other and displaying data simultaneously is not simply “stretching out an 8.4” screen”. It’s literally installing a second 8.4” unit behind a single sheet of glass.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I don't use the built in nav, but I use Android Auto all the time. If I'm traveling, I've got Google Maps set on the top half and my music on the bottom half.

I think it is totally worth it, with my one gripe being that you can't make Android Auto stretch full screen. I'd be more than happy to be able to go full screen Google Maps.

Users who are viewing this thread