5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle Surging when put into reverse

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BAM felt like a surge or someone hitting me from behind, the a/c shut down and then switched over to manual ac mode. A week later same issue again as I backed out of my driveway then started pulling forward BAM.
What the heck is going on with these trucks?
I agree. Sometimes it really lurches the truck forward catching me off guard. You could seriously bump into a car in front of you if you're not ready for it.
This really is a serious issue and it obviously affect a lot of us, so I'm thinking it's not a vacuum leak or bad injector. Programming?
RAM needs to entertain a recall on this one.

Betohemi661

Reaction score
Just had this happen to me the other day exactly what people mention cold start on a hot day mine is a 2020 with 10k on the dash. Started fine just turned it on to move it so wife could park when i put it into reverse to back up it started surging not to bad but definitely noticeable

Matt057

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Cold starts but it doesn't matter if I'm in D or R. It will continue to surge until I turn off the air condition then it stops. Turn the air back on and it's gone. The first time I noticed it my truck kept surging toward the back of the stopped semi in front of me!

Keysersoze

Reaction score
Piling on for what it’s worth. Been having the exact same symptoms on my 2020 limited. Started around 500 miles. Up to 14k miles now. Seems to have gotten worse this summer in Orlando. Has started to do it even after warmed up sometimes depending on loading, eg, in drive stopped in traffic, A/C on, turn the wheel, start to go then quickly hit the brakes. Managed to get the A/C to disengage 3 times now in the last month or so under those conditions. Have a few videos now so finally taking it in. Don’t suppose anyone has had luck with a dealership actually getting to root cause eh? Will report back after engaging the dealer. Thanks

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost smashed into my front garage wall when i started it the other day to pull up slightly.
This needs to be recalled in my opinion. Surprised there aren't more stories of trucks lurching forward into things.

Keysersoze

Reaction score
Almost smashed into my front garage wall when i started it the other day to pull up slightly.
This needs to be recalled in my opinion. Surprised there aren't more stories of trucks lurching forward into things.
Agreed. Had very similar situations also. Hard to imagine someone, who cares about their credibility, making the case that un-commanded changes in engine speed, particularly while in a drive gear, isn’t a textbook safety issue. I fear a lot of us have just been living with it and/or having no luck with their dealer getting to root cause.

Keysersoze

Reaction score
Ok here’s the latest:
I dropped the truck off 9/3. They’ve had it everyday since. I figured out right there in the service bay with the adviser watching and OBDII dongle installed, that I could make the truck replicate the issue by leaving it in park, and applying the slightest possible amount of throttle input. Just enough to bring it up a couple hundred RPM above idle. Holding my throttle input (foot) rock steady, eventually the idle would start to oscillate, cycling by dipping below 500 rpm, then jumped up to 900/1000ish then back. Compressor would kick off and on. Blower motor would cut out and come back on 20 seconds later. Holding my foot just barely on the gas, the oscillation would vary some, generally getting worse, but after 2-3 mins the truck completely stalled out. We were all pretty shocked, but you couldn’t ask for a better scenario. Adviser had her tablet right there recording codes while it was oscillating and when it died. Obviously tripped a few codes, the odd one being blower motor overcurrent. Into the shop she went. They started with a pcm flash for an unrelated issue. Tried to tell me it was fixed - failed, weak attempt. Then they started troubleshooting with star center involvement . This led to R & R (remove & replace) of the CAM phaser. This did smooth out the idle significantly btw. So, side note, if you’ve noticed your truck idles relatively rough since the time it was new have your dealer check for random misfire codes and the CAM phaser/target wheel. My bad CAM phaser was reporting up to a 36 degree delta. Did not fix original issue though. They moved on to blower motor overcurrent, eventually replacing the motor, module, and ringing out the harness (twice) - failed. Next up were signs of desperation, as they R & R’d the PCM - failed. Regional Chrysler engineer had been heavily involved by this point. Next up was R & R battery and alternator - failed. At this point they finally decided to record the trucks telemetry stream real time while it was acting up - great idea. Lo and behold, they found out there was a communication drop out happening with the PCM, yes, the new PCM. Then they told me there is a “history” of this throttle body back EMF’ing the PCM and damaging a portion of the board. Next, replace the throttle body and put yet another, unmolested PCM in it - problem solved! Hope this helps for those of you who have been driven nuts by our trucks doing this. There is very strong evidence this is a systemic issue. The 2021 loaner 1500 I had did the exact same thing btw.

richardj

Reaction score
Has anyone figured this out.? And had a dealership fix it ? My dealership can't figure it out. I noticed that the last post reply mentions the throttle body. My 2018 surges when put in reverse and drive but only lasts 5-10 seconds. My fuel mileage also seems way out of wack. When I'm sitting at a stop light it eats up fuel fast. But when I'm driving at highway speed the mileage is normal.

Larry3003

Reaction score
Ok here’s the latest:
I dropped the truck off 9/3. They’ve had it everyday since. I figured out right there in the service bay with the adviser watching and OBDII dongle installed, that I could make the truck replicate the issue by leaving it in park, and applying the slightest possible amount of throttle input. Just enough to bring it up a couple hundred RPM above idle. Holding my throttle input (foot) rock steady, eventually the idle would start to oscillate, cycling by dipping below 500 rpm, then jumped up to 900/1000ish then back. Compressor would kick off and on. Blower motor would cut out and come back on 20 seconds later. Holding my foot just barely on the gas, the oscillation would vary some, generally getting worse, but after 2-3 mins the truck completely stalled out. We were all pretty shocked, but you couldn’t ask for a better scenario. Adviser had her tablet right there recording codes while it was oscillating and when it died. Obviously tripped a few codes, the odd one being blower motor overcurrent. Into the shop she went. They started with a pcm flash for an unrelated issue. Tried to tell me it was fixed - failed, weak attempt. Then they started troubleshooting with star center involvement . This led to R & R (remove & replace) of the CAM phaser. This did smooth out the idle significantly btw. So, side note, if you’ve noticed your truck idles relatively rough since the time it was new have your dealer check for random misfire codes and the CAM phaser/target wheel. My bad CAM phaser was reporting up to a 36 degree delta. Did not fix original issue though. They moved on to blower motor overcurrent, eventually replacing the motor, module, and ringing out the harness (twice) - failed. Next up were signs of desperation, as they R & R’d the PCM - failed. Regional Chrysler engineer had been heavily involved by this point. Next up was R & R battery and alternator - failed. At this point they finally decided to record the trucks telemetry stream real time while it was acting up - great idea. Lo and behold, they found out there was a communication drop out happening with the PCM, yes, the new PCM. Then they told me there is a “history” of this throttle body back EMF’ing the PCM and damaging a portion of the board. Next, replace the throttle body and put yet another, unmolested PCM in it - problem solved! Hope this helps for those of you who have been driven nuts by our trucks doing this. There is very strong evidence this is a systemic issue. The 2021 loaner 1500 I had did the exact same thing btw.
I have the same problem with my 2021 Bighorn. Just started. I am in Orlando and would like to know which Orlando Ram dealer solved your problem. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread