5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle curiosity...any clean sheet Hemi engines in the works?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I know we've talked about ways FCA could update the 5.7, 6.4, and 7.0 (not so much the 7.0, more the other two), but after reading an article about Cadillac's upcoming 4.2, I wonder if FCA/Ram has any clean sheet engines in the works.

As best as I can tell, the base Gen III Hemi was introduced in 2002, with the 5.7, 6.4, and 7.0 having been updated at least once in the 15+ years since then.

Obviously, there are still new variations of the Gen III Hemi coming out like the upcoming Hellephant, so FCA is able to continue iterating and improving upon on the engine, but the base engine is still 15+ years old. With the base engine being that old, I wonder if Ram has any plans for a Gen IV or a clean sheet Hemi in the near future?

It's clearly a much bigger and more involved (and much more expensive!) endeavor to come up with a clean sheet engine vs iterating on an existing engine, so this is definitely just idle curiosity on my part.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would expect to see the current engine get some improvements in the variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation, and the addition of direct injection. hopefully they are moving towards dual injection and not planning on replacing the port injection with GDI. I think that coupled with E-torque there are still room for efficiency improvements on the current design. i would expect to see Gen IV. In the grand scheme of things the motor is still a baby. The first GM small block was produced from 1955-2003 and the LS engine was a clean sheet design in 1970 and is still being produced as a gen V now coming up on 50 years. I'm not sure what if anything other than the name on the HEMI's produced from 2003 to today are shared from the Gen 1 and Gen 2 HEMI's from the 50's and 60's.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FCA hasn't had the 7.0l since 1972. I have not got confirmation if the Banshee is a new engine or an upgraded 6.4l.

There are some other engines in the works...but they are a ways out.

Very interesting times for perfomance junkies, and also for the fuel misers as 707 hp motors are getting over 27 miles per gallon.

The original Hemi motor only rated 425 hp, and only got 8 MPG on a good day.

steveved

Reaction score
Would love to see a SRT Sport Ram with a little less weight and the hellcat engine. That would be way cool...

Anyone else remember the old SRT 10 Ram?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A few of our members own or owned the Viper Ram. We also have a thread about it in the 3rd Gen section.

SRT no longer puts their with anything but Dodge...but I feel the TRX isn't going to be the only Powered by SRT Ram on the block.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would expect to see the current engine get some improvements in the variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation, and the addition of direct injection. hopefully they are moving towards dual injection and not planning on replacing the port injection with GDI. I think that coupled with E-torque there are still room for efficiency improvements on the current design. i would expect to see Gen IV. In the grand scheme of things the motor is still a baby. The first GM small block was produced from 1955-2003 and the LS engine was a clean sheet design in 1970 and is still being produced as a gen V now coming up on 50 years. I'm not sure what if anything other than the name on the HEMI's produced from 2003 to today are shared from the Gen 1 and Gen 2 HEMI's from the 50's and 60's.

I'm curious why you said "hopefully they are moving towards dual injection and not planning on replacing the port injection with GDI".

Conceptually I understand GDI (gasoline direct injection), but all I've heard about GDI is that although they run well, they supposedly emit more of the super-small soot particles than does a modern diesel with DPF (diesel particulate filter), so in that one regard (small soot particles) GDI engines pollute more than modern diesels do.

What is the reason you hope FCA doesn't put GDI on their current V8 engines? Any info appreciated.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious why you said "hopefully they are moving towards dual injection and not planning on replacing the port injection with GDI".

Conceptually I understand GDI (gasoline direct injection), but all I've heard about GDI is that although they run well, they supposedly emit more of the super-small soot particles than does a modern diesel with DPF (diesel particulate filter), so in that one regard (small soot particles) GDI engines pollute more than modern diesels do.

What is the reason you hope FCA doesn't put GDI on their current V8 engines? Any info appreciated.
Direct injection engines suffer from excessive carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. Port injection sprays fuel toward the back of the valves and keeps them relatively clean but is less efficient. Dual injection is the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Direct injection engines suffer from excessive carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. Port injection sprays fuel toward the back of the valves and keeps them relatively clean. Dual injection is the best of both worlds.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread