5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for USB battery pack that charges only when vehicle is on

TravisH

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with an idea for a jetpack/hotspot device that will be powered by a USB battery pack when the vehicle is off and when the vehicle is on, it will charge the battery pack, which would still keep the jetpack on. The jetpack I'm looking at does have a battery built in which should last a few hours but my goal is for it to stay on for ~24 hours.

What I'm trying to do is give my Blackvue dash cam internet service for cloud uploading. They have an LTE addon piece but doesn't work with Verizon.

I was thinking of just getting a big portable battery pack that takes 5v or 12v input and putting it in the center console and giving it switched power. Then plug the jetpack into it let it use the internal battery and the pack and see how long it lasts.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Put a battery with an isolator and B+ power and then step it down. You'll have internal battery, plus portable battery, plus a few amps off the starting battery. You can get these isolators that monitor the charge voltage and cut off when the alternator is off or when you hit some lower voltage. https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Charger/Redarc/331-SBI12.html

CJW

Reaction score
The term you're looking for with regards to the USB battery pack is "passthrough". That will allow the device you want to run (camera) to run simultaneously while the battery pack charges as well as when the vehicle is off.

If you can determine how much power your camera will draw, it will help you determine how large of a battery pack you'd need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online