5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icon 2.5 resi CDC coilover

Daverous

Reaction score
Thanks to @Rplante3108 i was able to snag a pair of roughed up Icon 2.5 coilovers needing some rebuild love.

After doing a boat load of research I wasn't able to find any with resi or cdc for the front of the Ram 1500. After speaking with Icon about it, it appears they ARE starting to roll out these features, finally, with a few sites starting to list them. Down side.... 22 to 26 week wait. Same as their rear piggyback units.

So, with the units that needed some love I was able to order up the additional new parts through them and have them fitted during my rebuild along with some custom shimming. I wanted to update anyone going down the coilover road so that they are aware of an additional option. I'll update with my impressions after install this week. Then another 3+ month wait for my matching rears.... Yay.

This isn't so much an Icon vs Fox vs King, just an update on those offering units. I've seen several in the King and Fox camp so I thought it'd be a good idea to offer up experience with this new set up for others since none exists for our trucks yet.

Stay tuned!

Daverous

Reaction score
Few updates:

Managed to find the 217716CP in stock(last pair) at sdhq and snatched them up. Installed it all over the weekend.

I only wanted about an inch of lift due to a ton of highway miles. It's my road trip vehicle most of time in addition to hauling and camping. The new kit icon offers is 2 to 3 inch. I chose to keep the old travel setup and avoid a new spring due to my needs. I may go up later, but for now 1 inch in the front suits my needs.

I also upgraded to the jba UCA. This was only because I was pulling it apart anyway, so why not give them a shot? They run around 600 bucks. At the time of purchase they were only listed to fit 2018 and older 4th gens. Been some discussions on it, and I'll confirm, they fit the 5th gen. They just updated their website this week to indicate 2006 and newer. Huge difference in ball joint travel.

Build quality on all of it is top notch.

I set everything to 4 on the cdc and did some low speed pot holes, speed bumps, and rough roads. My biggest concern was low speed based on Icon reviews and I have to say it's way over blown in my opinion. I started with E rated tires from the factory so maybe that's some of it? At setting 4 with stock tires it was every bit as comfortable and compliant as stock, but with less body roll. I'm still playing with it front to rear to find my sweet spot, zero complaints so far. Big highway trip in 2 weeks so I'll hammer on it at 80+ for 13 hours or more then.

If you're concerned about ride quality without the cdc I'd say don't be. Setting 4 is supposed to be the same as without, and I think it rides great. That being said I'm excited to dial it in and adjust based on my needs. We'll see if I actually use it much. I will say hauling 1200 of lumber vs rolling at 80mph are pretty different animals, so why not adjust for it?

New tires due in on Friday so I'll update then. Driveline angels at full droop. I kept about 3 inches of down travel even with it 1" over rebel height(2" over standard truck).

IamPhantom

Reaction score
Few updates:

Managed to find the 217716CP in stock(last pair) at sdhq and snatched them up. Installed it all over the weekend.

I only wanted about an inch of lift due to a ton of highway miles. It's my road trip vehicle most of time in addition to hauling and camping. The new kit icon offers is 2 to 3 inch. I chose to keep the old travel setup and avoid a new spring due to my needs. I may go up later, but for now 1 inch in the front suits my needs.

I also upgraded to the jba UCA. This was only because I was pulling it apart anyway, so why not give them a shot? They run around 600 bucks. At the time of purchase they were only listed to fit 2018 and older 4th gens. Been some discussions on it, and I'll confirm, they fit the 5th gen. They just updated their website this week to indicate 2006 and newer. Huge difference in ball joint travel.

I set everything to 4 on the cdc and did some low speed pot holes, speed bumps, and rough roads. My biggest concern was low speed based on Icon reviews and I have to say it's way over blown in my opinion. I started with E rated tires from the factory so maybe that's some of it? At setting 4 with stock tires it was every bit as comfortable and compliant as stock, but with less body roll. I'm still playing with it front to rear to find my sweet spot, zero complaints so far. Big highway trip in 2 weeks so I'll hammer on it at 80+ for 13 hours or more then.

If you're concerned about ride quality without the cdc I'd say don't be. Setting 4 is supposed to be the same as without, and I think it rides great. That being said I'm excited to dial it in and adjust based on my needs. We'll see if I actually use it much. I will say hauling 1200 of lumber vs rolling at 80mph are pretty different animals, so why not adjust for it?

New tires due in on Friday so I'll update then. Driveline angels at full droop. I kept about 3 inches of down travel even with it 1" over rebel height(2" over standard truck).

Few updates:

Do you have an update? I’m debating to get icon coilovers over the fox 2.5. But no one has any experience with the icons it seems like. Have you towed with them as well? I’m looking for coilovers that provide less body roll, good for towing and I can take to the desert because I live 5 mins away from desert.

Daverous

Reaction score
No significant trailer hauling. I ran around with about 1000lbs of gravel in the bed for a week recently due to some rain. Adjusted the rear to 7 and it rode like stock. Well composed and not wallowy.

I can't compare to the fox. I've heard good things about them as well.

My only complaint so far is the tendency for the rear shocks to want to rotate the resivoir down when it rains. Icon says mount them up in the instructions. I solved it with a couple zip ties but kinda feel like I shouldn't have had to? Guess it's not a huge deal. More annoying is reaching the cdc valve on the rear with fender liners..... I ended up cutting a flap in mine.

Daverous

Reaction score
As far as whoops and dips, I aim for them. The kid loves it and they handle it very well. It's smoother at 25 than 5.

IamPhantom

Reaction score
Thanks man, I ended up pulling the trigger and bought the 2-3” kit from sdhq with red and cdcv. I’m super stoked, but I did go with the carli rear springs because I’ve seen on the forum people not liking the icon rear springs. But thanks for getting back to me.

IamPhantom

Reaction score
As far as whoops and dips, I aim for them. The kid loves it and they handle it very well. It's smoother at 25 than 5.
Hey man, so I ended up buying almost the exact you have, what did you mount the front reservoirs to? I don’t like the area that icon suggest, and I want them to be in the front preferably.

Users who are viewing this thread