5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icon 1.5” vs Gladiator 2.5” springs—Help

theblakester

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking for a little input finalizing my decisions to level/lift my truck. 2020 crew cab 5.7L V8 Hemi eTorque with 3.21 gear ratio 4x4 with Off Road Package.

For the rear, I’m looking at getting the Bilstein 5160s or 5100s. here are my main questions:

Do the Icon springs actually net 1.5” over a stock, non ORP crew cab Ram? How does the ride compare to the ORP springs?

Do the Gladiator 2.5” springs actually net 2.5” over a stock non ORP crew cab Ram? How do they ride compared to the ORP springs?

I want about 3/4” - 1” of rake ideally, but I’m having a hard time figuring out the best way to accomplish that. Would I be better off with more rake or closer to dead level?

Up front I’m going with the Bilstein 5100s on setting 4 and a set of 1/2” spacers from motofab. This should put me pretty close to 3” lift up front over a stock Ram w/o the off road package (ORP springs start the truck off 1” taller). I’m using the spacer and setting 4 so I will still get 2 extra inches, while not having to max out the Bilsteins.

I’ve thought about getting two sets of the 1/2” motofab top spacers up front and stacking them to get a 3.5” front lift. I was told this would actually work, but I’m not too sure about it. I’m already mixing and matching a lot of parts as is.

Also, which UCAs should I go with?

FWIW, I’m looking to keep the factory wheels (+18mm offset) and use 1/2” wheel spacers, which will put me at about +5mm offset if my math is correct.

And for tires, I’m looking at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Undecided between the 285/65/r20, 295/60/r20, and the 295/65/r20. I want the 295/65/r20 but I’m trying to save as much weight as possible since my truck has the 3:21 gear ratio.

Thoughts on this approach??

Sorry for the scattered questions and thanks in advance for any input!

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Icons and Claytons are both progressive springs with a super soft primary rate, then a 2nd rate that should be firmer than ORP. Unloaded you're riding in between these 2 rates, with more of it going towards the 2nd rate. 1st rate is pretty much dead coils so they extend a lot more when you run longer shocks. The springs could feel a little firmer but in a good way. Both coils have a heavier 3rd rate than ORP when you're towing/haulling heavier so you get less sag with more weight.

Claytons will lift the rear 1.5" over ORP, Icon should be 0.5" over ORP. Add +1 for Non-ORP coils.
Measure your fenders now and you can estimate where you'll be. Claytons are not for everybody as the rear might be too high unloaded. They'll keep you about 1" more than ORP with 500-600lbs of weight in the bed, so typically if you have/plan to have for an RTT, steel bumpers, rock sliders bigger spare etc etc then you can benefit from the Claytons as you won't need spacers to go up, and you can still fill up your bed with more stuff without looking like your truck doesn't go to the Gym :). Likewise with Icons, more or less you'll loose that extra 1/2 with about 500lbs so the truck will apear stock ORP high with that weight.

Last edited:

MadMater'

Reaction score
here are pictures of my setup I just had done which is right in line with what you are looking for I think.
Here are my before/Afters. 2021 Rebel
Before: Factory Bilstein 4600s, ORP
After: Bilstein 5100s setting 5, RL UCA, Icon +1.5" Rear Coil Spring
I put a few hundred miles on it this weekend and it is pretty damn close stock ride. If I am looking for something, i feel like the back end feels slightly looser going around an exit ramp etc. but this could be me digging for something, I only had a few hundred miles on the truck total before this switch. So far I am happy.
View attachment 90304 View attachment 90301 View attachment 90302 View attachment 90299 View attachment 90303 View attachment 90300

theblakester

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Mad Mater, can you clarify how much additional lift, you got with the icon springs? I’m thinking you should have gained ~1/2” in the rear. It appears you got a lot more than that with a 1/2”taller spring??

MadMater'

Reaction score
Yes, I got just over an inch in the rear with using the Icon spring and rear Bilstein 5100 only. I thought the same as you that I would only get .5" but that is not the case for me. Here is the Icon part number I used just to confirm

Icon Vehicle Dynamics 212150.​

MadMater'

Reaction score
You do not mention it but I think Icon also makes a 2" spring that would be in between the options you note.

theblakester

Reaction score
Yes, I got just over an inch in the rear with using the Icon spring and rear Bilstein 5100 only. I thought the same as you that I would only get .5" but that is not the case for me. Here is the Icon part number I used just to confirm

Icon Vehicle Dynamics 212150.​

Nice. Thank you.
How do you like the ride with that combo?
What size tires do you have?
I’m seeing some say that it’s a lot less firm and that they are opting for the Helwig sway bar.

MadMater'

Reaction score
I'm running the Stock 33" duratracs. So far it feels like stock but perhaps the rear end is a hair more bouncy in certain scenarios but to be honest I only had a few hundred miles on the truck before I changed it. I think it is as close to stock as I could ask for and the rear end comment is me really reaching.

Users who are viewing this thread