5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ice and Wipers

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just took the truck out in the recent snowstorm (North Carolina). We had ~3" of snow and then freezing rain and sleet. A nice glaze. ;) We ended up with 1-2" of ice underneath 2-3" of snow.

Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws were great for traction. I even got to pull a Ford Ranger out of a ditch on my truck's maiden snow trip. (Almost 500 lb ft of torque + 4 wheel drive + lockable rear axle = Ford Ranger back on the road)

On to my question... The day after the storm, my windshield wipers were encased in ice from the melted snow freezing in the rain scupper. They were solidly locked in. Sure, the solution is to pull the wipers up, and extend them upright, overnight. Sigh.

At one point in my life, I had a Caravan. It had a front windshield electric defrost strip where the wipers sit. That was great for ice and snow buildup.

Aftermarket heated windshield wipers exist. I've found Everblades and Crystal Clear.

What solutions do you use? Are the heated wipers any good?

Or, do you just put up with ice accreting onto the arms and occasionally knocking it off?

Let's hear it...

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just warm your truck with the defroster on. And it will allow them to thaw enough to pull them up and knock the ice off. If you forget to put them up the night before. Living in northern pa I never had an issue or a need for heated blades.

My Subaru has the heated strip in the windshield with is something everyone should do. But it’s more of a convince thing over a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Buy a bottle of glycol and keep in the truck. Spray it on the wiper blade when it ices up. I was in NC over the weekend and used the defroster method.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I live in Alabama so.

I got to the third message in this post and said to myself, "why am I reading this? I live in AZ." Then I read your message and was glad I'm not the only one.

OP, I'm sorry you have that issue. Sounds like you're just as well off with a defroster while you warm up the truck though, if it's that cold. Sending sunshine your way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL...the defroster won't do well against 4" of ice. Yep, that's how thick it is wrapped around the blades in the scupper.

As well, in bad icing conditions (yes, I've driven in them...but not in the truck) the ice will gather on the blade frames, until softball size hunks are sliding across the glass, preventing the rubber blade from clearing.

My winter dream truck? Heated blades and a defrosted segment of the windshield where the blades rest.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Funny (or ironic?) that there is a heated section in the windshield where the forward facing camera for active braking lives but not for the wipers. Even though you may not be able to see out of the windshield at least the truck can and will stop you!

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Heated blades and a heated lower windshield wouldn’t have done anything for 4in of ice.

Manually scraping it away is all you could have done anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I picked up one of the windscreen covers. I bought this one, and it fits, but barely. Would probably go with one of the ’truck’ ones if I had to do it over (it’s a stretch to get the hooks over the mirrors, and i don’t have the tow mirrors anymore even). I also do not put the flaps through the doors. Seems like a recipe for water in my interior.

In any case, it works pretty well. It sits on top of the wipers, so, it won’t keep ice out of the scupper, but it will keep it off your wipers (and wind screen). I’ve lived in NH my whole life, and never had a garage, and only thought to buy one of these recently. *sigh* :)

Reactions: c3k

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Welcome to the problems of us northeasterners. If the weather patterns continue, you'll be a pro at clearing the wiper blade when it swings up while driving in the snow.
Are Northeasterners the only ones who regularly get snow/ice? I wonder what that stuff is that we Northwesterners are getting every winter then? What about the midwesterners? Maybe it's just me, but I'd have said "welcome to the problems of us northerners" :p

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Are Northeasterners the only ones who regularly get snow/ice? I wonder what that stuff is that we Northwesterners are getting every winter then? What about the midwesterners? Maybe it's just me, but I'd have said "welcome to the problems of us northerners" :p
Because he's on the east coast and so am I. The rest of the country doesn't really matter. 😝

Users who are viewing this thread