5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I towed 11,500 pounds with my 3.21

sims1dh

Reaction score
So today I had the opportunity to haul my first heavy load with my 3.21, here are my thoughts. First here's my back story, I'm a general contractor in the Atlanta area. I purchase a new truck every 2 years. I just traded in my 2017 6.2 gas F250 Xlt for a 2019 Limited no etc. Before that I owed a 2016 Silverado ltz. I purchased this truck fully aware the the 3.21 wasn't the best towing gear. I had a chance to get a limited for 12k below sticker and the only thing it was missing was the better towing gear. My dealer allowed me to take the truck home for the weekend and see how it towed my trailers. I felt liked it did ok so I moved forward understanding that my truck had limitations.

So today I had to take my dump trailer to the dump. as soon as I pulled out the driveway with it I knew I had a heavy load. I wasn't for sure of the amount but I was positive it was north of 9k. To my surprise when I got to the dump, I was pulling 11,500 pounds. The truck actually did and ok job. I would be fare for me to compare it to my f250 but it pull the load and I felt more than safe. I found that I had to be patient when starting from and down hill position but the truck pulled well. Now if I was going to pull that type of weight on a regular I would of stayed in my f250.

So if you are considering purchasing and truck with a 3.21 I would say go for it. I would love to have the towing gear but I don't regret jumping on a good deal.

Attachments

• RArWGNLURQ+v9Bo96LBBCQ.jpg
    RArWGNLURQ+v9Bo96LBBCQ.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 242

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good info, thanks for sharing that. Two questions:

1) What is the tare weight of that trailer?

2) Why did you trade the 2016 Silverado LTZ fore the F250 after apparently only one year?

Thanks!

sims1dh

Reaction score
Good info, thanks for sharing that. Two questions:

1) What is the tare weight of that trailer?

2) Why did you trade the 2016 Silverado LTZ fore the F250 after apparently only one year?

Thanks!
My trailer is 3k dry. I traded in my Silverado due to a shaking issue. This is a big issue with that generation of Chevy and Sierras.

Reactions: 2wd

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome to hear and thank you for sharing. I came across a offer I couldn’t pass up with 3.21 gears also. Obviously took it, with worries in back of my head. Have done a few small mods to help the situation and a few more down line. As I won’t be towing that kind of weight around. It’s comforting to know it handled it.

AndreiV

Reaction score
So today I had the opportunity to haul my first heavy load with my 3.21, here are my thoughts. First here's my back story, I'm a general contractor in the Atlanta area. I purchase a new truck every 2 years. I just traded in my 2017 6.2 gas F250 Xlt for a 2019 Limited no etc. Before that I owed a 2016 Silverado ltz. I purchased this truck fully aware the the 3.21 wasn't the best towing gear. I had a chance to get a limited for 12k below sticker and the only thing it was missing was the better towing gear. My dealer allowed me to take the truck home for the weekend and see how it towed my trailers. I felt liked it did ok so I moved forward understanding that my truck had limitations.

So today I had to take my dump trailer to the dump. as soon as I pulled out the driveway with it I knew I had a heavy load. I wasn't for sure of the amount but I was positive it was north of 9k. To my surprise when I got to the dump, I was pulling 11,500 pounds. The truck actually did and ok job. I would be fare for me to compare it to my f250 but it pull the load and I felt more than safe. I found that I had to be patient when starting from and down hill position but the truck pulled well. Now if I was going to pull that type of weight on a regular I would of stayed in my f250.

So if you are considering purchasing and truck with a 3.21 I would say go for it. I would love to have the towing gear but I don't regret jumping on a good deal.
Good to hear that truck handled it well.
On the other hand, note to those who plan on towing large travel trailer with 3.21, that this may not be the case due to profile difference.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to hear that truck handled it well.
On the other hand, note to those who plan on towing large travel trailer with 3.21, that this may not be the case due to profile difference.

I'm not sure why trailer profile would make a difference WRT to gear ratio? I get that towing this trailer (little but very heavy box) or a flatbed, vs a 30' travel trailer is going to be different all around; the wind has much more to catch on a bigger box. But this is just gear ratio, it should just affect acceleration, no? Unless I'm missing your point.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I'm not sure why trailer profile would make a difference WRT to gear ratio? I get that towing this trailer (little but very heavy box) or a flatbed, vs a 30' travel trailer is going to be different all around; the wind has much more to catch on a bigger box. But this is just gear ratio, it should just affect acceleration, no? Unless I'm missing your point.

Aside from what FCA states for max towing capacity the gear ratio plays a big part in not just acceleration but also deceleration (using the motor to control the load going downhill). All these factors come into play when towing (and when FCA posts their recommended towing specs). A higher rear end gear set will allow the motor to stay in the sweet spot and give you more gears to play with if your driving envelope is < 70mph considering other variables are the same.

whsk12

Reaction score
the main difference is WIND-it is brutal on towing a high profile trailer!-i know from experience!

sims1dh

Reaction score
3c56ea0cadf8817b4a6b9b346bf2174c.jpg

I had another heavy load. Just over 11k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wd

Reaction score

Next time you tow heavy like this, would you be willing to check your engine and trans temps and report back the highest they both reached during the tow?

There is a gauge readout for the center cluster that shows actual temp values for trans, engine, and oil.

For example, riding empty the highest engine temp I've seen is around 214 and the highest trans temp I've seen is 181.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Maybe you've stated this elsewhere, but curious on your wheel/tire specs and if you have air suspension or not?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
22x12 on 3312.5 stock Suspension and yes I have air suspension. -40 offset minor trimming no rub.

Thanks. Curious as (I'm sure you know) slightly larger OD, heavier, and wider tires will negatively impact towing. Impressive how well your 3.21 geared truck is doing. I've never been afraid to slightly overload my trucks from time to time either.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

These half tons have capabilities that 3/4 tons use to have. My old truck is a 2004 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 quad cab Laramie trim, 6' bed with every possible option (mint only 63,000 miles!) It is a heavy beast and its tow rating is 13,050 lbs and payload 2140 lbs. (from internet data, didn't look at placard in door) I have hauled 2000lbs of wood pellets bags in my 19 Rebel with air suspension and it sat like it was empty and drove fine. Did get a air suspension light for a couple miles though. I was too lazy to use 14' tandem trailer that day. Cold out, me lazy, etc etc. Wonderful truck once they correct a few bugs, such as warm air from ac. But a $15 valve on heater hose fixes that for now!

Users who are viewing this thread