5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Said Goodbye Last Night...

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, bittersweet to report that I parted with my 5th gen Limited, last night. After leasing it new in September of '19 and then buying it out in September of '22 at lease end (I was originally going to sell/third party buyout and get something else but due to inventory shortages stemming from the pandemic nothing was available) it was time to say goodbye.

I'm happy to report that after 4 years and 72k miles I ran into virtually zero mechanical issues and the truck gave me little if any problems. Any issues were the small, annoying kind documented in other posts and more representative of FCA/Stellantis than the vehicle itself (LED accent strips going out and not covered under warranty, leather on the dash bubbling and also not covered under warranty, CHMSL leaking/stained headliner, etc). I made a strategic decision to trade it and take advantage of what little equity I still had before anything else, potentially catastrophic, go could wrong and also not be covered under warranty - air suspension, 12" uConnect, etc. but I really did LOVE my truck. These 5th gens are special, IMO.

That said, I did go over to the dark side and picked up an early '22 build F150 Platinum. For those that may not know, Ford started stripping a lot of features out of their higher end trims (Platinum & Limited especially) in the later half of 2022 through the 2023 MY due to microchip shortages. This included the massage seats, heated steering wheel, parking assist, and more. I was able to find one with the 5.0 and FX4 off-road package in the rare interior color I wanted (two tone caramelo/black - very similar to black/saddle tan in the Longhorns) with low mileage and all of those features still intact. This was like a needle in a haystack so when I found one relatively close to me I had to jump on it. It also includes the hardware for BlueCruise hands free driving which I haven't tried, yet but am eager to.

I just wanted thank everyone who has contributed to my posts and made this place the bastion of knowledge it is; I hope I was also able to do the same for others. Also, I will be selling my wheels/TPMS sensors in the marketplace section to fund new ones if anyone is interested. Thanks, everyone!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. Love that 5.0 coyote engine. Defiantly would be my second choice. Had a 2004 triton engine...had some good pepp and felt good for a truck with 150k miles on it.

Enjoy

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Jmac509

Reaction score
Congratulations on a new truck!

That's always an exciting experience. You will have to come back and give us a review after you have settled into the Ford for a bit. I've been curious about the platinum trim F150 and how it compares. I did have an F150 rental recently but it was a 5.0 XLT sport. I will say the sound and top end power of the 5.0 was exciting coming from the 5.7 with the 3.92s.

How is the ride quality on the F150 going to leaf springs from air suspension?

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Congratulations on a new truck!

That's always an exciting experience. You will have to come back and give us a review after you have settled into the Ford for a bit. I've been curious about the platinum trim F150 and how it compares. I did have an F150 rental recently but it was a 5.0 XLT sport. I will say the sound and top end power of the 5.0 was exciting coming from the 5.7 with the 3.92s.

How is the ride quality on the F150 going to leaf springs from air suspension?
Thanks! I would argue that the DT Limited “feels” ever so slightly more premium on the interior but give a slight edge feature for feature to the F150, keeping in mind I was coming from a 2019. The F150 adds massage seats, hands-free driving (BlueCruise), lane centering & bed camera mounted on the CHMSL but I lose the air suspension and rear cooled seats.

The fully digital gauge cluster is pretty great but configurability is limited. Sync 4 is well laid out, intuitive and user friendly, similar to Uconnect.

The 5.0 feels more refined than the 5.7 HEMI and a bit more powerful. The fuel efficiency is what surprised me the most; 268 mile trip back home (mostly highway) and the trip computer reported 20.2mpg. I attribute that to the 10spd transmission and cylinder deactivation. Speaking on the 10spd, it’s fine, but the number of gears leads to some hunting; sometimes the truck doesn’t know whether it wants to downshift for more power or upshift for more efficiency.

The suspension (keeping in mind I have the FX4) feels simultaneously tighter/firmer but also floatier; I would attribute that to the leaf springs vs independent rear suspension in the Ram.

Take all of this with a grain of salt obviously, as I’ve only had the Platinum for 3 days lol.

Users who are viewing this thread