5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need your input. Borla S-Type or ATAK

Which Borla exhaust?

• S-Type

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • ATAK

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the S type and was only able to hear both the S type and Atak in person once I already had mine installed. But the Atak isn't honestly louder than the S type. They're both about equivalent, with the S type just being a deeper more consistent tone.

The Atak is a lot more raspy and poppy sounding, which is something I actually wish I had now. S Type will have the occasional pop/rasp but it's really just deep, loud hemi tone.

My truck came with no resonators stock, so mine ended up pretty loud. Cold starts are pretty loud so if you have nearby neighbors they might get upset. It's only loud for about 15 seconds or so then settles down to a reasonable volume. And so long as you let it short shift you can drive quietly through neighborhoods.
when you say my truck came with no resonatorS you mean even the 2 back one? or just the front one

Louhound88

Reaction score
when you say my truck came with no resonatorS you mean even the 2 back one? or just the front one
Came with no front resonator. Been a while since I had my stock exhaust but I do think I had the small resonators before each tail pipe/tip. So once I installed the Borla I just had Cat Y and Borla left.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Came with no front resonator. Been a while since I had my stock exhaust but I do think I had the small resonators before each tail pipe/tip. So once I installed the Borla I just had Cat Y and Borla left.
okay thanks, was asking because i bought a flowmaster resonator kit and im debating on installing it or not and just swap the black pipes that came with it, when my knee will be better ill look under ti see if i have the front one, i dont know if i have it or not

Louhound88

Reaction score
okay thanks, was asking because i bought a flowmaster resonator kit and im debating on installing it or not and just swap the black pipes that came with it, when my knee will be better ill look under ti see if i have the front one, i dont know if i have it or not
You have the GT exhaust? I've looked under a few at a dealership but can't remember seeing a front resonator, but did see the rear ones. Is the resonator kit to replace those rear ones?

From what I can tell listening to the GT exhaust has the same tone as the Borla S type, so deleting those would make it louder if that's what you're going for.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes i have a gt exhaust, the gt have less restrictive rear resonators then the regular ram.

i wanted black tips and that resonator delet kit comes with black tips and is about same price as just buying black tips.

so mainly i wanted to change the tips, i dont mind if its louder but i would like to keep the same tone/sound . im not sure how to explain, i like the sound of the gt and i would like to keep that, it can be louder but not change alot the tone of the sound

Sixxshooter

Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep . you dont have the resonator. My Rebel has it in the front . Yours doesn't.How do you like the sound of your Atak exhaust?If I were to install the attack on my Rebel I probably would get a different experience in sound .I probably wouldn't hear the MDS 4 cylinder Kick in as much as You.
I have MDS turned off, but when I did have it the Borla exhausts do a really good job to not really change the sound.

The start-stop sounds funny with a loud exhaust but MDS is almost not noticeable (as far as sound).

I have had a Borla exhaust for years even on older trucks. I love the ATAK. I find the s-type is too quiet for me. Never raspy, never "bad" sounding.

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
I’m considering getting the Atak for my Rebel . I really love my Corsa exhaust but I’m just looking to switch it up . Hope I don’t regret it though .

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Got it in today and installed it in the driveway in about an hour. Right as I finished, the Amazon truck arrived the the exhaust hanger tool, LOL.

I am really happy with the sound. Looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow to really get on it.

I agree with what others have said, the sound clips don’t compare to the sound in person. I took a couple videos of the start and they are much quieter than the actual sound.

One side benefit is that the rear step doesn’t doink off the resonator when it retracts now.

Thanks for all the inputs. I love the black chrome 5 inch tips. The factory ones fit inside of them. After looking at the picture I took, I felt like I was violating my truck!

675644C6-12E5-4841-A016-450FC189D289.jpeg
F77D311D-0340-42D0-A12C-6646C55F641A.jpeg

Last edited:

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
congrats and good job, are you gona lett us know after you drive it a bit ?

btw love your plate :)
Thanks. I’m a Bucs season ticket holder. I travel from Virginia to the home games and have Sunday Ticket for the away games. I can’t travel for eh night games anymore. Takes too much outta me on the return. My sister and I have the tickets. She lives down there and was actually the Bucs fan of the Year last year.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m a Bucs season ticket holder. I travel from Virginia to the home games and have Sunday Ticket for the away games. I can’t travel for eh night games anymore. Takes too much outta me on the return. My sister and I have the tickets. She lives down there and was actually the Bucs fan of the Year last year.
wow congrats, that is cool :) hope he will play next season, im going to fly down there to see a game with my wife ( im a fan, she like the trip concept ahahah) but we both have real jersey (white vapor)

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Okay, my initial thoughts on driving it to work this morning are “holy crap, I’m glad I didn’t go with the ATAK” and “Wow, this has a great sound.” We are taking my truck on a trip this weekend, I wonder what my wife is going to think about the sound.

The pure cold start this morning surprised me as it was much louder than last night after I installed it.

So far, I like it.

SemperFi

Reaction score
I have the S-type on my 2022 Rebel. Everyone in my family thinks it's WAY too loud. Personally, I love it, but it is loud, don't let anyone tell you different. The day I brought it home after the install, I had to run back out to get something from my office I had forgotten. I started it up and immediately got a text from my next door neighbor asking me what I had done to the truck, said it sounded awesome and that's how a Hemi is supposed to sound, lol!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the S-type on my 2022 Rebel. Everyone in my family thinks it's WAY too loud. Personally, I love it, but it is loud, don't let anyone tell you different. The day I brought it home after the install, I had to run back out to get something from my office I had forgotten. I started it up and immediately got a text from my next door neighbor asking me what I had done to the truck, said it sounded awesome and that's how a Hemi is supposed to sound, lol!
No one said the S type was quiet.
The ATAK is clearly louder then the S type.
The touring is more quiet.

ANY after market exhaust is going to sound loud on a 5.7 over stock.

Users who are viewing this thread