5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need your input. Borla S-Type or ATAK

Which Borla exhaust?

• S-Type

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • ATAK

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’ve settled on Borla for my exhaust upgrade (love their 5 inch tips). In the mean time I had a local shop do a resonator delete with the factory muffler (they just cut out the resonators and welded a pipe in place on each side for $100) as I wanted to see if I wanted to go louder than that and I do. I don’t want to be the neighborhood a$$hole, but I do want the exhaust to be louder than how it sounds with just the resonator delete. In listening to the videos on line, the ATAK doesn’t seem “off the charts loud,” but you can’t be sure from on line videos. So what do you guys think, S-Type or ATAK. I’d like to get your thoughts too. Thanks for your time.

Jody

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No one can know what you want.
Atak is way louder then s type.
Both sound great but I prefer the louder Atak.

I bought it used from someone who claimed they were pissing off their neighbors as he leaves for work at 4am in the morning.

They are both tasteful exhausts and are not just stupid loud noises, they have a great sound to it, not like a Civic ricer flying by in the middle of the night waking everyone up.

sep1006

Reaction score
I debated on both as well and went with the S-Type, no regrets at all. Nice deep sound and just loud enough.

MrWeatherman

Reaction score
Quick question without making a new thread. I wanted to get the ATAK and I have a ‘23 Limited 5.7 on order. But the Borla website or any aftermarket website doesn’t have the ‘23 on the drop down list, would it be safe to order for the ‘22 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Quick question without making a new thread. I wanted to get the ATAK and I have a ‘23 Limited 5.7 on order. But the Borla website or any aftermarket website doesn’t have the ‘23 on the drop down list, would it be safe to order for the ‘22 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the same generation, so yes

ramhouston

Reaction score
i have a muffler delete but resonators still in place. sounds great but i’d like for slightly louder exhaust notes. i don’t want to remove the two resonators because then it will become raspy instead of the traditional deep hemi tone.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the S-Type exhaust. The fact that two folks that responded here said they got their ATAK systems on the cheap because the previous owners realized they were “that guy” did it for me. Not looking to be that guy in the neighborhood as I leave for work at 0630. I believe the S-Type will do the trick, we shall see once it’s installed.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the S-Type exhaust. The fact that two folks that responded here said they got their ATAK systems on the cheap because the previous owners realized they were “that guy” did it for me. Not looking to be that guy in the neighborhood as I leave for work at 0630. I believe the S-Type will do the trick, we shall see once it’s installed.
I have the S type and was only able to hear both the S type and Atak in person once I already had mine installed. But the Atak isn't honestly louder than the S type. They're both about equivalent, with the S type just being a deeper more consistent tone.

The Atak is a lot more raspy and poppy sounding, which is something I actually wish I had now. S Type will have the occasional pop/rasp but it's really just deep, loud hemi tone.

My truck came with no resonators stock, so mine ended up pretty loud. Cold starts are pretty loud so if you have nearby neighbors they might get upset. It's only loud for about 15 seconds or so then settles down to a reasonable volume. And so long as you let it short shift you can drive quietly through neighborhoods.

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
I currently have the Corsa sport exhaust on my 2020 Ram Rebel . To make it the extreme I need to buy the resonator delete pipe from them for $ 300. My question is why does both the Borla s-type and Borla Atak both keep the mid pipe resonator on our Rams ? Shouldnt the Atak require us to remove it Just like the Corsa extreme does ?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I currently have the Corsa sport exhaust on my 2020 Ram Rebel . To make it the extreme I need to buy the resonator delete pipe from them for $ 300. My question is why does both the Borla s-type and Borla Atak both keep the mid pipe resonator on our Rams ? Shouldnt the Atak require us to remove it Just like the Corsa extreme does ?
What resonators?

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
This is the Resonator right before the Muffler .

Attachments

• 4066F40E-75E5-4210-89A7-A5EDB636D822.png
    4066F40E-75E5-4210-89A7-A5EDB636D822.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 56

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
Terrible picture but this is the Corsa extreme delete pipe to make it the extreme .

Attachments

• 82275824-B068-4FCC-9713-E13B39E7EEAA.png
    82275824-B068-4FCC-9713-E13B39E7EEAA.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 25

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
Some Ram 1500 trucks from 2020 up supposedly never came with this mid resonator . It’s why Corsa tells you to check before buying the extreme upgrade .

Louhound88

Reaction score
The mid pipe resonator is between your Cats and the start of the muffler string that most cat-backs seem to replace. Some Rams didn't come with it for some reason. Mine didn't, so I just have a 3 foot section of straight pipe in between the Cat Y pipe and the start of my muffler pipe. Borla doesn't replace this 3 foot section, it replaces from the start of the muffler pipe out to the tips.

So if your Ram came with the factory resonator then it will be quieter than those with the straight pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread