5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some serious help?

Kirk 427

Reaction score
Ok I am looking for some honest input and experience. Just sold my Silverado, I need a new truck in the next month for boating season. I have driven a Laramie Sport, Big Horn night edition and a Big Horn Sport with a Ram 2" level Kit ( Fox shocks new upper control arms ) and Falken 295/60/20 tires. I am having a hard time deciding between black or white. I am curious if anyone out there has the Ram leveling kit with 275/60/20 if so I would love to see some pictures. I tow around 10,000 lbs. so I need 3.92 gears. Do the trucks tow the same when you start adding leveling kits and bigger tires. Would just Bilstein shocks be enough to run 275/60/20 I don't ming spending a little extra to get it leveled. I don't want to screw up the front suspension on a new truck thanks for the help

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
10,000 pounds :oops:. I would highly suggest you take a look at upgrading to a 2500. What do you tow? How much tongue weight are you looking at? I seriously doubt you would be able to stay within payload capacity of a 1500. Even if you are able to stay within specs of the truck, leveling kits and larger tires will likely have a negative impact on your towing experience.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
275/60/20 does not need a leveling kit to fit without rub (unless you have a crazy offset) not sure if level or lift was a requirement you had to have, if not they will fine. I have 20x9 +10mm offset no rub.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lift and larger tires will make towing that much weight unsafe, you’ll be maxing out any decently equipped 1500 trucks payload with the tongue weight alone, add in a passenger or two and some gear and your way over the 1000-1500lb average I’ve seen truck owners listing.

I would be looking at a 2500 if you want to tow safely and not be white knuckled your whole drive. Even then make sure you check the door jamb sticker for payload ratings.

b.w.royder

Reaction score
I had a 2 inch Mopar lifted 2019 now I have a 21 not lifted. It was a big difference. I’m only pulling a 5k pound camper. 10k with this truck is a big ask especially lifted.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding between black or white. I am curious if anyone out there has the Ram leveling kit with 275/60/20 if so I would love to see some pictures.
I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a Limited with 275/60R20's. I raised the front about 3/4" with airlinks, but that's it.
Limited's only have about 1-3/4" of rake stock, so now the truck has about 1" of rake, which looks almost level.

1615918562026.png

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I am looking for some honest input and experience. Just sold my Silverado, I need a new truck in the next month for boating season. I have driven a Laramie Sport, Big Horn night edition and a Big Horn Sport with a Ram 2" level Kit ( Fox shocks new upper control arms ) and Falken 295/60/20 tires. I am having a hard time deciding between black or white. I am curious if anyone out there has the Ram leveling kit with 275/60/20 if so I would love to see some pictures. I tow around 10,000 lbs. so I need 3.92 gears. Do the trucks tow the same when you start adding leveling kits and bigger tires. Would just Bilstein shocks be enough to run 275/60/20 I don't ming spending a little extra to get it leveled. I don't want to screw up the front suspension on a new truck thanks for the help
White is sssoooo much easier to keep looking clean, but black looks so good when it's clean, just a pain to keep it there.

Kirk 427

Reaction score
10,000 pounds :oops:. I would highly suggest you take a look at upgrading to a 2500. What do you tow? How much tongue weight are you looking at? I seriously doubt you would be able to stay within payload capacity of a 1500. Even if you are able to stay within specs of the truck, leveling kits and larger tires will likely have a negative impact on your towing experience.

I tow a 32' boat on a Myco trailer it is perfectly balanced, tongue weight is not an issue. Ram claims the tow capacity is 11,200 lbs. with 3.92 gears I know its not ideal I only have to tow 8 miles to the ramp non highway and only just in the summer I would rather have a half ton for my daily driver

Kirk 427

Reaction score
A lift and larger tires will make towing that much weight unsafe, you’ll be maxing out any decently equipped 1500 trucks payload with the tongue weight alone, add in a passenger or two and some gear and your way over the 1000-1500lb average I’ve seen truck owners listing.

I would be looking at a 2500 if you want to tow safely and not be white knuckled your whole drive. Even then make sure you check the door jamb sticker for payload ratings.

I cant find the GCWR on Ram's website I will have to go to the dealer and look at the listing on the truck itself

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
11200 lbs would be like a 2wd single cab 8 foot box with no extras.

My rebel has a max tow capacity of 9324lbs.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think max gcwr is like 15000, subtract the trucks weight from that and it’ll get you the max tow capacity. Gas trucks have a gvwr of 7100 and diesel is 7200, subtract the trucks weight from that to get your max cargo capicity.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 32' boat on a Myco trailer it is perfectly balanced, tongue weight is not an issue. Ram claims the tow capacity is 11,200 lbs. with 3.92 gears I know its not ideal I only have to tow 8 miles to the ramp non highway and only just in the summer I would rather have a half ton for my daily driver
With any trailer you need 10-15% tongue weight for proper stability, to little and your rear end of the truck loses traction and to much your front end loses traction.

If you aren’t towing often or far any ram 1500 could move the boat, but how safe would it be?

I won’t lie I’ve moved a 36ft cabin cruiser over 12000lbs plus triple axle trailer with a total weight over 14000lbs a few miles with my old gmc 1500 but that was only at 40mph and very scary. I even pulled it up the ramp at the marina with 2wd it had so much tongue weight. This was a 5.3 with a 6 speed and 3.23 rear end.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score

Payload (which tongue weight counts against) and towing capacity are two very different things. During towing, payload in a 1500 tends to max out long before you reach towing capacity. "Max towing capacity" is often used as a marketing tactic. A conservative (low estimate) of tongue weight is 10% of your trailer. Not sure what your trailer weighs, but this is worth calculating. Also would suggest a trip to the CAT scales with a rig that big to see exactly what you set up weighs and where it weighs.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree with others. You should be looking at 2500-3500 trucks, not half-tons.

Cheers,

Sherran

Reaction score
I have a white 2004 Ram 1500 and I always thought the color was boring. It's a Laramie Lone Star edition so no chrome on it except the wheels. But, I could go months without looking at it and thinking, man I need to clean her.

Now I have my 2019 Ram 1500, was SO EXCITED to get it all blacked out. She's beautiful.. when she's clean for all of 10 minutes. It's not just keeping her clean, it's more like.. Let me check the weather multiple times a day so I can decide IF I'm going to wash her because it's not worth spending hours if it's just going to rain in two days. Finally get a week of no rain (at least that's the prediction) COOL! Let me spend 3 hours cleaning her up - can't miss a spot because it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Assuming the weather prediction was right.. Now you have to think about the dust which is almost just as bad as the dirty rain. Layer of dust isn't pretty either. Then you got neighbors who mow their lawn and get the grass all over the road - or just mowing their yard and the wind isn't in your favor and now you have a grassy dusty dirty truck. Condensation on your truck in the morning? You bet there will be dirt spots on it when it dries. Drive by a construction zone with the wind coming towards you? Bet it'll get dirty just driving by that too. Hit a water puddle on the road? Yup dirty. Let's not even get me started with how easily the tail gate and rear bumper is just a magnet for dust and dirt. I could go on lol..

So yea, black truck is beautiful when she's clean but she isn't for long. Definitely getting silver next time lol..

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I have a white 2004 Ram 1500 and I always thought the color was boring. It's a Laramie Lone Star edition so no chrome on it except the wheels. But, I could go months without looking at it and thinking, man I need to clean her.

Now I have my 2019 Ram 1500, was SO EXCITED to get it all blacked out. She's beautiful.. when she's clean for all of 10 minutes. It's not just keeping her clean, it's more like.. Let me check the weather multiple times a day so I can decide IF I'm going to wash her because it's not worth spending hours if it's just going to rain in two days. Finally get a week of no rain (at least that's the prediction) COOL! Let me spend 3 hours cleaning her up - can't miss a spot because it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Assuming the weather prediction was right.. Now you have to think about the dust which is almost just as bad as the dirty rain. Layer of dust isn't pretty either. Then you got neighbors who mow their lawn and get the grass all over the road - or just mowing their yard and the wind isn't in your favor and now you have a grassy dusty dirty truck. Condensation on your truck in the morning? You bet there will be dirt spots on it when it dries. Drive by a construction zone with the wind coming towards you? Bet it'll get dirty just driving by that too. Hit a water puddle on the road? Yup dirty. Let's not even get me started with how easily the tail gate and rear bumper is just a magnet for dust and dirt. I could go on lol..

So yea, black truck is beautiful when she's clean but she isn't for long. Definitely getting silver next time lol..
I ordered silver for that very reason. White is bla, black is gorgeous for 15 minutes. Hoping Silver splits the difference.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll echo what others have said...a 1500 is not going to cut it for what you want to tow. You should be looking at HDs in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online