5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some advice on ordering off the lot (missing two key options) or building and risk missing incentives?

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Here is my situation, as I'm looking for some advice;

1) I found the exact unit I was looking for and one of the dealers I was working with called to do a swap with another dealer out of state. This seemingly has fallen apart, as there was a deposit placed on the out of state truck the day before we found it and the out of state dealer won't do the swap now, even though their customer has not committed the full purchase. So, I backed out of this deal. I then talked to another dealer, who could have sold this same unit to me at about a $1,500 savings to the first dealer, but it doesn't matter, as it doesn't look like either can do the swap.

2) I have a similar option nearby, in a demo unit (500 miles), but that truck doesn't have the 33 gallon tank, nor the multi-function tailgate. It also doesn't have a protection (skid plate) package, but that can be added on.

3) I could build the exact truck I want (2020 Ram Limited 1500 Black Appearance Package, fully loaded with everything). But, then I could miss out on the great November Employee Pricing deals, etc. when the truck comes in some 8-10 weeks later. I'm afraid this might cost me $5,000 or so? That would stink...I couldn't stomach it, if the price shot up, with the lack of incentives. My wife would go nuclear.

I'm trying to convince myself that the 33 gallon tank would be awesome, but not necessary, as it is still 4 gallons bigger than my current GMC tank. The killer is not getting the multi-function tailgate!? I didn't think I needed this, then saw it in person and was very impressed. I guess I don't need it, but it's a bummer.

So, I've been doing a lot of homework on this great forum and am looking for some advice...

1) What are the thoughts on the incentives going into January historically? Knowing the incentives only count upon delivery and not when it is ordered.

1a) Does anyone think that the Black Friday deals would actually become even better than the employee pricing deals now? I can get the local truck at -18.5% off MSRP now, which seems pretty good, and I think I can get a few other things worked out (tire swap credit of $400, etc.).

2) The local truck would be a huge upgrade to my 2015 GMC Denali, so am I crazy to build one with everything I wanted? Should I just settle for amazing, instead of outstanding?

3) Someone slap me please...I'm going to crack.

Thanks...

Deezl

Reaction score
You won't get the EP on a 2020, so I would just take what you can get now, locally, and get the EP + any incentives, and put that towards the following... I don't have the 33 gallon tank either, but plan on installing it myself ($460), and having the dealer reprogram it into the BCM (~$70). Skid plates can be purchased and installed separately, for nary a few dollars.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cravenfan

Reaction score
How much you think swapping out the tanks by the dealer, after I purchased it would be? Also, wonder how much the multi-fuction tailgate would be to add at some point? You've got me thinking...

Deezl

Reaction score
Just swap the tank out yourself. They're are YouTube videos that will help you. Sure, the multi-function tailgate can be added, all for far less than you'll be saving with the EP plus incentives.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How much you think swapping out the tanks by the dealer, after I purchased it would be? Also, wonder how much the multi-fuction tailgate would be to add at some point? You've got me thinking...
You can’t add the multifunction tailgate

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
If your spending the money, get what you want. Personally, I wouldn’t want the multifunction tailgate, because of the alignment issues and really...people have been driving trucks and using them for years without that type of tailgate. My black Laramie has chrome bumpers and grill, I didn’t necessarily want those but my plan is to have them vinyl-wrapped. As far as discounts go...the next set of discounts is always just around the corner. It sounds like you have a decent truck now...why the hurry?

Oliver392

Reaction score
Actual incentives or rebates can be locked in when ordering. If they go up, you can get those if they go down you are still locked in at the incentives/rebates that were available when you ordered. You need to make sure that the dealer does indeed do this when you order. As far as ordering and how long it takes to delivery. I ordered Sept 23/19 and took delivery Oct 28/19.

Look into "Friends and Family Pricing" FFP is, invoice -1% and you get all available incentives / rebates that you qualify for. FFP pricing is easy to get. One way is to join treadlightly.org for $100. ( there is a 30 day wait period from the day you join to the day you take delivery, but if you order a truck that would be the wait period.)

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 14 Ram had the larger tank. My 19 has the smaller tank. It has not changed my driving whatsoever. FWIW, I average 10-12k miles per year.

However ;) You’re spending a lot of money, get what makes you completely happy.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
If your spending the money, get what you want. Personally, I wouldn’t want the multifunction tailgate, because of the alignment issues and really...people have been driving trucks and using them for years without that type of tailgate. My black Laramie has chrome bumpers and grill, I didn’t necessarily want those but my plan is to have them vinyl-wrapped. As far as discounts go...the next set of discounts is always just around the corner. It sounds like you have a decent truck now...why the hurry?

My extended warrantee runs out in February and I have two leaking Magnaride shocks leaking that GM won’t cover. That will set me back a bit. I also have 87,000 miles, so nearing that 100k mark when trade value dips a bit.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Actual incentives or rebates can be locked in when ordering. If they go up, you can get those if they go down you are still locked in at the incentives/rebates that were available when you ordered. You need to make sure that the dealer does indeed do this when you order. As far as ordering and how long it takes to delivery. I ordered Sept 23/19 and took delivery Oct 28/19.

Look into "Friends and Family Pricing" FFP is, invoice -1% and you get all available incentives / rebates that you qualify for. FFP pricing is easy to get. One way is to join treadlightly.org for $100. ( there is a 30 day wait period from the day you join to the day you take delivery, but if you order a truck that would be the wait period.)

The dealer told me last night I can’t lock in incentives. What they are upon delivery is what I’d get, so I need to be comfortable if the price goes up upon delivery. I’m confident that at -19% from MSRP now, I’m in a pretty good place, but only now.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Very personal choice, random answers wont help you much (like mine).
You did say that your spouse would go nuclear if you missed deals... better give that more weight as opposed to a tailgate. Wives dont get overawed with tailgates...

Towng? Thats when the 33 is important. If not... plus as others have said, it can be added later if needed.

I’m fairly sure a lot truck has more price wiggle room than an order.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The dealer told me last night I can’t lock in incentives. What they are upon delivery is what I’d get, so I need to be comfortable if the price goes up upon delivery. I’m confident that at -19% from MSRP now, I’m in a pretty good place, but only now.
For a change, a dealer is being honest. I'm pretty sure every single radio ad for every make of vehicle I've ever heard has ended with "Must take delivery from dealer stock by..."

I would have like the larger fuel tank. I liked the 25% off in June more. I wouldn't have ordered the Sport Appearance Package nor the LED lighting and probably not the Level 2 equipment, though I do like all those goodies, but taking one off the lot was still cheaper than ordering and missing the incentives.

If you're financing, figure up the difference. Maybe it'll only be five bucks a month more..... hardly noticeable. I bought mine outright, so that big discount really made a huge difference.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I’ll have an update Tuesday, or Wednesday...went with another option, brand new 1500 Limited Black Out rolled into the dealer on Friday, yesterday I committed to the purchase. No multi-functional tailgate, but did have the 33 gallon tank and literally every other option available.

Users who are viewing this thread