5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love my 2020 Laramie 1500! But one problem, MDS..

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
I finally got the truck I’ve always wanted! everything works as it should. but after putting 1000 miles on it, the MDS is probably the most annoying thing when cruising, or even city driving.. between the rise in the rpms, and constant downshifting into 7th and holding 2200 rpm with the cruise set at 77mph seems to be unnecessary on a slight hill.. but I can turn off the cruise control, and it won’t unnecessarily downshift..

I seen another thread that people where using the Pulsestar by edge, and there’s a lot of mixed reviews on that topic... some people say it turns the MDS off, and a lot of other people say it’s impossible for a company to disable it unless you get an actual tune..

I’d love to keep my warranty on my truck, but me and wife do a lot of traveling, and I don’t want to kill my lifters on my Hemi if i can help it.. my wife just did a 400 mile trip, the total miles on the odometer is 1546, and she got 21.6mpg not really trying.. but I’d like to see the difference without MDS.. So, what’s the best option to turn it off?

thanks 68CC925B-9822-4CA4-A4AA-3CC02AA4C73A.jpeg 6DF72139-A9A8-408C-81CA-E0817D97F065.jpeg E7DC2C61-6EA2-4FBD-A7DA-3AA69CD1AA8A.jpeg

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Congrats on ur dream truck! All u need to do is use the Gear Limiter on the bottom right side of the steering wheel. Hit the - symbol to activate then the + symbol to select ur highest gear. I go up to 8. I’ve been doing this for a couple weeks now and it’s much better than MDS kicking in and out all the time.

U

User_3336

My truck has NEVER EVER seen MDS, and never will. If I wanted a truck running on 4 cylinders, I'd have bought a pitiful Nissan Frontier!!!

like the previous OP said, use the +/- buttons. I wait til i get up to speed, then I just hit the (-) button on the steering wheel. By that time, its already in 8th gear. If you put the truck in park or turn it off, you will have to do it again, but its sure better than the MDS kicking in all the time, and the engine seeming like its straining!

MDS is evil! LOL

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
My truck has NEVER EVER seen MDS, and never will. If I wanted a truck running on 4 cylinders, I'd have bought a pitiful Nissan Frontier!!!

like the previous OP said, use the +/- buttons. I wait til i get up to speed, then I just hit the (-) button on the steering wheel. By that time, its already in 8th gear. If you put the truck in park or turn it off, you will have to do it again, but its sure better than the MDS kicking in all the time, and the engine seeming like its straining!

MDS is evil! LOL
It is definitely evil! Like I said, I don’t want to kill my lifters if I can help it.. and plus, it’s annoying.. but thanks for the tip!

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
$509.95 for a Pulsar? that's INSANITY!!!
Yeah, I’d like to spend my money elsewhere.. that’s why I’d like to get around not having to spend that type of money just to turn off the MDS.. but it looks like there’s a way around it from the reply’s i see

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, set your +/- on steering wheel to 8. Once you get an exhaust/muffler change, you will do this automatically because MDS is loud with an aftermarket exhaust.

Remember that this resets anytime you turn your truck off/on or anytime you move the gear selector out of drive and only works while in D.

Some people say leave it in tow/haul mode and it will prevent MDS from activating as another option.

Nibis

Reaction score
We need the MDS manager from Range Technology for the 5th Gen. I emailed their tech support to see if they are working on it.

rlc2020

Reaction score
+1 on using tow/haul mode. Since I did my muffler delete I've been running in tow haul when around town and to me it actually drives a lot better like that. I leave it in regular mode on the highway as MDS isn't nearly as annoying at 75.

Krootz

Reaction score
I do tow/haul around town and “8” on the shifter on the highway. Didn’t see much MPG loss either maybe 0.4-0.6 Worth it in my book

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Add me to the list of those who hate MDS with a passion. Too bad it can’t be disabled permanently.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
I like giving owners the ability to do things like disable MDS (thanks EPA for not letting us), but I still don’t see any downsides to it personally. I’ve had 4 5.7 Hemi vehicles with MDS including a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Dodge Charger, and 2 Rams. Over several hundred thousand miles I’ve never had any complaints or any problems with the vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread