5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Know Zero About Paint Protection and Need It and Help Getting It

n8zcc

Reaction score
Today was a beautiful sunny day here in southeast Michigan so I took advantage of the day and detailed the exterior of my new Longhorn. I've had the truck for about three months and put right around 2,000 miles on it. I live over two miles away from paved roads so the truck sees its share of dirt/mud roads. As I was dealing, I noticed a couple of pin-head paint chips on the front bumper (I have the pained bumper option) and I also notice the same on the leading edge of the rear fender flares despite installing mud flaps.

I've heard of and read a bit about paint protection films but I also read that they don't necessarily stop paint chipping. Perhaps various types of protection films offer various levels of protection. What I am looking for is recommendations on how to mitigate the paint chipping problem that will do nothing more than get worst.

For those of you that have first-hand experiences with similar paint chipping problems, did you find a solution that stopped it? What was the solution and where do you go to get it applied (no way would I try to do that myself).

A 1000 thanks in advance.

Cajun_

Reaction score
Find a xpel ppf installer with high ratings. idk how close you are to Chicago auto pros but they are top of the top up there. Have them fill the chips and do a paint correction. Don't bother with any ceramic coatings that last longer than a year. PPF should last for 12ish years and self heals. I went with front bumper, hood, and the botttoms of the doors and behind each wheel. Basically anything under the silver trim on the limited.

If your paint is chipping for any reason outside of rocks then the PPF wont help.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
I had the whole front end wrapped in Xpel as soon as I bought the truck. I still have a couple of paint chips on the bumper....rock tore through the film and chipped the paint anyway. A little disappointed. If I get any more, I'm putting on the chrome bumper. I knew better than to get a painted bumper but I did it anyway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the whole front end wrapped in Xpel as soon as I bought the truck. I still have a couple of paint chips on the bumper....rock tore through the film and chipped the paint anyway. A little disappointed. If I get any more, I'm putting on the chrome bumper. I knew better than to get a painted bumper but I did it anyway.
If it was installed by a reputable shop, they should warranty it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think XPEL warranties rock chips, or at least they didn't a few years ago when I had it on my last truck.

PPF won't stop all rock chips, no matter who installs it. Better than nothing, but decided against it on this truck. Don't regret it after 5k miles, but that could always change.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind PPF isn’t indestructible anything that you hit that pierces through the PPF more then likely wouldn’t save the paint in that area. Just imagine if you didn’t have PPF in that same area .

Xpel last I checked wouldn’t warranty that, ppf did it’s job even if it chipped the paint it still provided it’s level of protection. The warranty is for the defects such as yellowing etc. Now that shop you used might go ahead and replace it out of hood customer service.

Fill the the chips. Paint correction and then apply PPF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread