5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know it's simple math ... But gotta like the range

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I took my first long road trip last week ... Drove from Houston, TX to Springfield, MO to visit my daughter and grandson. I normally fly, but thought a RAM trip would do the trick.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the truck! That it was knocking down 23 MPG with the 3.92 rear didn't hurt my feelings either. Seeing a range of 770 was worth a picture.

RAM_770.JPG

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah but that semi you were drafting was doing the work...
Seriously, those are amazing numbers for the gears.
I’ve gotten up to maybe 23 with my 3.21’s but the half mile of traffic behind me wasn’t so pleased... they were waving “RAM is #1” or something like that as they passed...

mardwin

Reaction score
I took my first long road trip last week ... Drove from Houston, TX to Springfield, MO to visit my daughter and grandson. I normally fly, but thought a RAM trip would do the trick.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the truck! That it was knocking down 23 MPG with the 3.92 rear didn't hurt my feelings either. Seeing a range of 770 was worth a picture.

View attachment 29731
Hmm... Hemi V8? No etorque?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 29731

Love this but you averaged 61. What was your highway speed? My 3.92 rocks up until ~70 or so and then it drops off sharply. I actually get higher city mileage (suburban) than highway which really makes you scratch your head.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love this but you averaged 61. What was your highway speed? My 3.92 rocks up until ~70 or so and then it drops off sharply. I actually get higher city mileage (suburban) than highway which really makes you scratch your head.

He averaged 61 since the last time the trip was reset, so I'm willing to bet his highway speed average may have been higher.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I chose to go the scenic route through Arkansas, not the interstate route through Oklahoma. After getting through Houston traffic, regular morning stop-and-go, most of the trip was 70-75, with occasional 80. Some of roads through the Ozarks can get a little slower if stuck behind RVs or tourists. I don't fret my mileage, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a truck and insisted on 3.92 gears. It will be what it's going to be, but it was pretty cool making the entire trip on one tank each way. Now if I could just eliminate restroom stops ;-)

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Just curious OP; stock wheels/tires? No lift?
Correct, stock 20" and no lift or level. Hemi, no eTorque ... Running 89 octane. Must be the bed cover ;-). On my drives from Houston to Dallas, I get just over 20. Average speed on that run is higher than on the smaller highways between Texarkana and southwest Missouri. It was a pretty drive though.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had a truck years ago that was that way (less MPG on interstate) .. it was due to oversize tires and too little power in overdrive. Once I realized it, I dropped it down a gear and brought the RPMs up and got better MPG.

clotagames

Reaction score
My limited with 3.92 and 6'4" bed has averaged a poor 13.5 over the first 6000 miles. No way 23 mpg unless it was all downhill.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I would like to find a 650 mile one-way drive from Texas to Missouri that was all downhill ... Would be tough on brakes though. I only averaged 21 mpg on the drive home from Missouri to Texas, same route through Texarkana. Admittedly, I was having a little more fun in the passing lanes on my return trip.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I can believe it, since breaking 12K miles my MPG highway has been steadily creeping, both ways to corpus and back 75MPH 16.5 MPG, 18 at 70.

Still drops to 14.6 in town though once you do all the starting and stopping

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm averaging 18.5 currently with 1000 miles on the clock. Expecting it to get better. I have 3.92 as well, I really don't think the gear ratio makes much of a difference.

My SRT turned more RPM on the highway and I would get around 21-22mpg with the 6.4L. Expecting the same or better with the ram once it's broken it. It still feels super tight.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I can believe it, since breaking 12K miles my MPG highway has been steadily creeping, both ways to corpus and back 75MPH 16.5 MPG, 18 at 70.

Still drops to 14.6 in town though once you do all the starting and stopping
Glad to see this comment. I just rolled over 13K and have noticed my mileage is starting to improve a little. I'm a "spirited" driver, especially since I upgraded the exhaust to the Magnaflow Catback system. I drive mostly in town, but a fair mixture. Like one of the other posts, about 70-75 is the cutoff point for decent mileage. After that, it takes a nosedive.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks impressive, lucky to break 17 mpg on the highway on my Rebel, but the 33" tires are probably a big factor against my truck with mpg. Factor in I live in an area with lots of elevation changes on the highways and I also avoid the first two slow lanes so I don't get rock chips, which means at least 75 mph cruising.

If I could lock into a flat stretch of road and set my speed control to 65 mph, I think I can get 20 mpg.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I refilled my truck Friday night and reset the mpg. I then commuted 30 miles to work Saturday morning, some highway, some lights through a small town and my mpg was 23.9 on the lie o meter when I got to work. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ALERT : semi-thread hogging replay :)

I know mine will be less than say 10 once it gets here. I used to drive 9 miles one way to work (half is 55 zone rest is 40 with stop lights - main reason I wanted to try the eTorque). But now, I drive less than 1 mile (actually 3 streets) to my new job location (yeah, yeah, I could walk, but it is railroad tracks and very high traffic area - plus I don't want to walk home at midnight). My current vehicle (16 Durango R/T) dropped from 15.3 (87 oct) 18.0 (91 oct) to 13.5 and dropping less each day. Now, granted, that 1 mile is VERY fun to drive full throttle .. but ..

LOL

Tim N

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
ALERT : semi-thread hogging replay :)

I know mine will be less than say 10 once it gets here. I used to drive 9 miles one way to work (half is 55 zone rest is 40 with stop lights - main reason I wanted to try the eTorque). But now, I drive less than 1 mile (actually 3 streets) to my new job location (yeah, yeah, I could walk, but it is railroad tracks and very high traffic area - plus I don't want to walk home at midnight). My current vehicle (16 Durango R/T) dropped from 15.3 (87 oct) 18.0 (91 oct) to 13.5 and dropping less each day. Now, granted, that 1 mile is VERY fun to drive full throttle .. but ..

LOL

Tim N
My situation exactly. My commute is less than a mile, and I average between 8.5-10 MPG.

On a recent trip from Houston to the Florida panhandle, my mileage was ~19.5-19.8 MPG @ 75 MPH. Had I kept it around 65-70 MPH, I could easily see getting 21-23 MPG.

My truck is a year old, I now have 7200 miles on the odometer after that trip to FL.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
With commutes like that, the trucks fluids dont even get up to operating temps unless you idle alot, which is another killer for gas mileage. Try a moped maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread