5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Just purchased a 2019 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 in Patriot Blue......

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If the truck has Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control, You may want to check out a Comma3
to have it drive itself similar to a Tesla. We are still working on getting extra steering torque and Longitudinal
Control. Then we can get End to End Navigation. I have over 15K miles with the truck driving about 95% of
Those Miles with my hands off the wheel. I am running the SunnyPilot Branch of release-c3.

Malodave

I also designed this "Mirror Mount" for it:

View attachment 164791

View attachment 164792
If they used factory cameras, or mounted in the grille, maybe. I don't want some stupid looking unit blocking my vision.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they used factory cameras, or mounted in the grille, maybe. I don't want some stupid looking unit blocking my vision.
For me, It blocks the side of the hood not what is in front of you.

Malodave

RAL

Reaction score
For me, It blocks the side of the hood not what is in front of you.

Malodave
Are you the owner of the business selling this device? Personally, if it is not installed by the manufacturer has hasn’t been approved by DOT, it may void your insurance if you have an accident and if there is a problem with the ACC and any dealer sees that thing, your dealer and/or FCA may deny warranty coverage if there is a problem with the automated lane assist or ACC. Not worth the trouble or expense.

To the original poster, the patriot blue with the tan interior looks awesome. Those wheels are a bit too big for me, but that is a personal preference matter.

Reaction score
To the original poster, the patriot blue with the tan interior looks awesome. Those wheels are a bit too big for me, but that is a personal preference matter.

Thanks, I agree with you. I have been looking for some AM 20's with a -25 offset to give it a better stance. I want to do 35x12.50's I think it will look better. I'm not sure why a manufacturer would sell a 4x4 truck with rubber bands for tires.

6of36

Reaction score
Thanks, I agree with you. I have been looking for some AM 20's with a -25 offset to give it a better stance. I want to do 35x12.50's I think it will look better. I'm not sure why a manufacturer would sell a 4x4 truck with rubber bands for tires.
Unless you are rock crawling over jagged rocks, there is nothing wrong with low profile tires. They get great traction . For off roading, Rebels, and TRXs, have 18s. I myself prefer the look of the 20s, and ordered my truck that way.

RAL

Reaction score
Unless you are rock crawling over jagged rocks, there is nothing wrong with low profile tires. They get great traction . For off roading, Rebels, and TRXs, have 18s. I myself prefer the look of the 20s, and ordered my truck that way.
Not really. 18s or 20s offer more than sufficient traction and lateral grip without the ride compromises associated with the bigger wheels. While the Ram rides fabulously for a truck, a live axle in rear is still suboptimal from a ride perspective and adding higher profile tires adds greater compliance for the suspension. The 22s, and the 20s on my truck, are purely for looks. The engineering case for them is dubious at best. Best bet for the best ride and handling compromise is an 18.

6of36

Reaction score
Not really. 18s or 20s offer more than sufficient traction and lateral grip without the ride compromises associated with the bigger wheels. While the Ram rides fabulously for a truck, a live axle in rear is still suboptimal from a ride perspective and adding higher profile tires adds greater compliance for the suspension. The 22s, and the 20s on my truck, are purely for looks. The engineering case for them is dubious at best. Best bet for the best ride and handling compromise is an 18.
The ride is better, but traction is basically the same. Compare the tire sizes. Actual diameter of the 20s, is .1" different than the 18s. I haven't looked at the 22s. Bigger rims, they put shorter rubber, for the same diameter.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you the owner of the business selling this device? Personally, if it is not installed by the manufacturer has hasn’t been approved by DOT, it may void your insurance if you have an accident and if there is a problem with the ACC and any dealer sees that thing, your dealer and/or FCA may deny warranty coverage if there is a problem with the automated lane assist or ACC. Not worth the trouble or expense.

No , I do not own the Company that makes the Comma3. There is a small harness that goes between the DASM camera and the
Trucks wiring. It sens signals on the CANBUS for steering. It is a level 2 Driving assistance device. You are still required to watch the road.
Removing the Comma Device, hide the exposed wiring, and the Dealer would not even know it was there. Comma supports over 250
models of cars and trucks. If there was a real problem with your warranty we would already know about it.

Malodave

RAL

Reaction score
No , I do not own the Company that makes the Comma3. There is a small harness that goes between the DASM camera and the
Trucks wiring. It sens signals on the CANBUS for steering. It is a level 2 Driving assistance device. You are still required to watch the road.
Removing the Comma Device, hide the exposed wiring, and the Dealer would not even know it was there. Comma supports over 250
models of cars and trucks. If there was a real problem with your warranty we would already know about it.

Malodave
Get that in writing from FCA. Until then, call me dubious.

6of36

Reaction score
Get that in writing from FCA. Until then, call me dubious.
As a former Chrysler mechanic, everything is still covered, unless a problem is caused BY any modification. If when the problem is found, it is found to be caused by a modification, you will be charged the diagnosis time. Even when I worked at an Oldsmobile dealer, someone kept bringing in their car for hard starting cold. This was back in the days of carburetors. I worked on the car a couple times, checking settings. He would come back and say it still wouldn't start cold. We had him leave the car a couple days, to make sure it was dead cold. I went out, pushed the gas pedal to set the choke, like you used to have to do with carburetors, and turned the key. It started right up. It turned out the idiot had a remote start, and was complaining because it wasn't starting with his remote start when cold. We still did all the adjustments under warranty, it was just his problem to get the proper remote start, that would set the choke.

RAL

Reaction score
I remember GM cars where you had to push the throttle down once, etc. I am going back to the 80s. In today’s climate, it is just different - there is no way it would be the same. You are going to be on your own if the truck has an issue and they see that thing hooked up to it. Too much of a concern about liability. Not saying it is right or fair, it just is. Plus the self driving aspect on a car not originally certified by the manufacturer or DOT for it may raise issues with the insurance. If people want to find out if this is true when something goes wrong (doesn’t need to be the device’s fault, just any accident) then be my guest, but otherwise it is a risk I would avoid.

6of36

Reaction score
I remember GM cars where you had to push the throttle down once, etc. I am going back to the 80s. In today’s climate, it is just different - there is no way it would be the same. You are going to be on your own if the truck has an issue and they see that thing hooked up to it. Too much of a concern about liability. Not saying it is right or fair, it just is. Plus the self driving aspect on a car not originally certified by the manufacturer or DOT for it may raise issues with the insurance. If people want to find out if this is true when something goes wrong (doesn’t need to be the device’s fault, just any accident) then be my guest, but otherwise it is a risk I would avoid.
All carbureted cars, you had to push the pedal one time to the floor for cold starts. It added gas, and allowed the choke to set. That was one of the best advantages of fuel injection, the computer adjusts for cold starts, and you don't need to touch the pedal at all. When the first added it, people who had driven for years would get in and pump the pedal. With fuel injection, it doesn't do anything.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread