5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got my first taste of Ram sticking it to me!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this man.. we’re on the same other thread and I’ve encountered the same issue on my 12” screen. Mine seems specific to Pandora stations, however, and definitely to XM radio. If I’m not using Pandora station, I’ve never encountered a lockup.

That said, I work in the electronics industry and I am highly confident that if the SW is faulty, no change in hardware is going to resolve the issue. That’s a bug in the OTA SW they pushed to us, and they know spending the money to send everyone a new 12” system isn’t going to make that go away.

Thankfully my issue comes in waves. I’ll go weeks without a problem then hit a bumpy patch again. Hopefully a new version comes soon to resolve the issue.

josh_4184

Reaction score
Have had issues with my 12" as well sine day one off and on, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I didn't even want the 12" but it was on the truck and had limited options for a Laramie black edition. My next if I lease a Ram again will not have the 12", also highly considering a new F150 or GMC Sierra Denali (if they get the Yukon interior)

Rupp

Reaction score
New Ram owner here. Do they just push these updates or can you opt out?

Maconi

Reaction score
Hrm, I've never had any issues but I'm afraid to go poking around to see what uConnect version I have (in case that triggers an update or something) lol.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look, Ram is not going to make it easy for you to get your truck bought back. But guess what? YOU already qualify to force them to buy it back from what you’ve said.
it’s going to take a lot of effort from you and pushback from FCA but if you’re truly done with your lemon then make the focus of your next two months to shove the lemon law up their a$$.
it’s not just Ram. All of them spit out lemons.
I had TWO GMC Sierras bought back and it was not easy but they HAVE to do it if you follow through with the lemon law procedures.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look, Ram is not going to make it easy for you to get your truck bought back. But guess what? YOU already qualify to force them to buy it back from what you’ve said.
it’s going to take a lot of effort from you and pushback from FCA but if you’re truly done with your lemon then make the focus of your next two months to shove the lemon law up their a$$.
it’s not just Ram. All of them spit out lemons.
I had TWO GMC Sierras bought back and it was not easy but they HAVE to do it if you follow through with the lemon law procedures.

Im not sure who you are talking to , I don’t want my truck bought back, I just want it fixed! I’d like to start it up in the morning for my 45 mile commute and have the damn thing work like it did before they did a software update that broke it!

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not sure who you are talking to , I don’t want my truck bought back, I just want it fixed! I’d like to start it up in the morning for my 45 mile commute and have the damn thing work like it did before they did a software update that broke it!
I was talking to you. From what you've said you've waited long enough for a fix. Begin the Lemon Law procedure and one of two things will happen. You will either get much more effort placed on making you happy OR as you continue through the process you'll eventually win and have your truck bought back. At which point you can roll the dice and get another RAM or look elsewhere. You've dealt with their 'yeah, yeah' responses long enough. Now you either can accept this treatment or stand up and fight it.
I fought it twice with GM and won both times. The second time was much easier knowing what needed to be done. Don't back down when Ram's "Regional Manager" calls you and tells you things that sound discouraging. They are paid to discourage customers from following through with the Lemon Law procedure. I'm trying to be a friend here, nothing else.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I was talking to you. From what you've said you've waited long enough for a fix. Begin the Lemon Law procedure and one of two things will happen. You will either get much more effort placed on making you happy OR as you continue through the process you'll eventually win and have your truck bought back. At which point you can roll the dice and get another RAM or look elsewhere. You've dealt with their 'yeah, yeah' responses long enough. Now you either can accept this treatment or stand up and fight it.
I fought it twice with GM and won both times. The second time was much easier knowing what needed to be done. Don't back down when Ram's "Regional Manager" calls you and tells you things that sound discouraging. They are paid to discourage customers from following through with the Lemon Law procedure. I'm trying to be a friend here, nothing else.
I think this is a great point, we are all here to help each other and that makes this a great forum.

The lemon law process sucks, but we would all love to see this fixed for you, or get you in another Ram if that is what makes you happy.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me too! I have set up a case file with RAM Care and they are supposed to contact me today so lets see where this goes.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me too! I have set up a case file with RAM Care and they are supposed to contact me today so lets see where this goes.
If it were me I'd begin the Lemon Law procedure today.
Ramcares does not impress me. Their replies are consistently 'canned' and robotic, like someone just picks one of six possible replies and copy/pastes it into their reply. They're just going to continue the 'dragging out' process.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12” screen. About two months ago they did an OTA software update that bricked my radio. No stereo, no bluetooth, no hands free, just a screen that’s says XM loading. I had to take it to the dealer 3 times for them to try all kinds of updates, flashes, etc before STAR would supposedly allow them to replace the radio. They finally told me the radio is ordered. Today I called for my weekly check in to see if my new radio was in and low and behold I was told that because so many trucks were affected by the faulty software update that they cannot replace the 12” unit. I just have to wait for someday for them to come up with a new software update that they hope will fix my system.....WTF? I have a 5 month old truck that has been broken for 2 months and that’s the answer I get? I’ve owned a half a dozen Rams and have never been the victim of shady behavior by Ram and well I guess my time is up. Not even sure how to respond to this, even the service manager advised that I call FCA and say this isn’t ok?

Was the OTA an automatic update or was it one the dealer initiated? I still have SW version 2019.43 and my only complaint is the fan speed is limited and the Nav once in a while gives me the 5 loading dots and doesn't come up until I shut it off and restart the truck.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was the OTA an automatic update or was it one the dealer initiated? I still have SW version 2019.43 and my only complaint is the fan speed is limited and the Nav once in a while gives me the 5 loading dots and doesn't come up until I shut it off and restart the truck.
It was OTA just showed up on my screen. It was not optional either.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but that is going to go NOWHERE. Same story for Uconnect or FCA corporate. They will do nothing at all for you. I had a caseworker who did NOTHING but call me once a week for 3 weeks and ask if I had gotten the issue resolved yet, seriously? Just start lemon law or you will have a broken truck until you trade it in. Trust me, My radio issue was never resolved after nearly 2 years of having the same issue and FCA did absolutely nothing but lie to me and keep kicking the can down the road. They eventually stopped responding to my emails and just told me they had done everything they could over the phone (with a nasty attitude to top it off). I hate to be that guy, but this will go nowhere unless you make an aggressive move.

It costs you zero to have a lemon law attorney review the case and write them a letter.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update...supposedly there is new TSB to perform a software update that removes the most recent one that messed up many radios. Going to have it done next week and see if it works, fingers crossed.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update...supposedly there is new TSB to perform a software update that removes the most recent one that messed up many radios. Going to have it done next week and see if it works, fingers crossed.

Did you happen to see the S/W versions that they are referencing for removal and install?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Any information on that TSB#? I’d definitely like to give that a read to learn if I need to bring the truck in to receive it or if it’ll come out quickly as a OTA

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/