5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just bought a new Laramie and I want to bring the tire flush with the fender flares.

RBurr

Reaction score
I just bought a new Laramie with the ORG and I want to bring the tire flush with the fender flares but I want to keep the stock wheels. I really don't like how the tires look tucked inside the fender wells with the flares. On my 2018 bighorn I accomplished this by putting on a set of Cooper AT3 XLT's in 285/60/20. The additional width plus the aggressive sidewall was just enough to put the tire even with the fender or maybe just slightly protruding.

This round I really wanted the KO2's and I was planning on buying a set of 305/55/20's but when I look at their website the specs for the KO's show the tire to only be 12" wide on a 9.5" wheel. Since our wheels are only 9" wide it'll be even narrower so I don't know if this is going to accomplish what I want. Honestly BFG's specs don't make any sense to me. They are stating that a 285 on a 9" wheel is the same width as the 305 on a 9.5" wheel both in 55 series.

Any recommendations?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked my stock wheel and also didn't know if a wider tire would accomplish what I wanted so I went with spacers, 1.5 bora all around and general atx 275/60/20
But I am assuming you are not considering spacers

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a new Laramie with the ORG and I want to bring the tire flush with the fender flares but I want to keep the stock wheels. I really don't like how the tires look tucked inside the fender wells with the flares. On my 2018 bighorn I accomplished this by putting on a set of Cooper AT3 XLT's in 285/60/20. The additional width plus the aggressive sidewall was just enough to put the tire even with the fender or maybe just slightly protruding.

This round I really wanted the KO2's and I was planning on buying a set of 305/55/20's but when I look at their website the specs for the KO's show the tire to only be 12" wide on a 9.5" wheel. Since our wheels are only 9" wide it'll be even narrower so I don't know if this is going to accomplish what I want. Honestly BFG's specs don't make any sense to me. They are stating that a 285 on a 9" wheel is the same width as the 305 on a 9.5" wheel both in 55 series.

Any recommendations?
You probably couldn't clear 305 width tires without wheel spacers anyways, so may as well just buy wheel spacers. I have 3/4" front and 1" rear Bora spacer which bring the stock 275 width tires perfectly flush with the fender flares on my Built to Serve. I tried 1.5" spacer, but didn't like how the tires stuck out last the fender flares.

RBurr

Reaction score

Any recommendations?

My only concern with spacers is how rugged they are. Do they hold up well over the long term.

5GEcoD

Reaction score
You probably couldn't clear 305 width tires without wheel spacers anyways, so may as well just buy wheel spacers. I have 3/4" front and 1" rear Bora spacer which bring the stock 275 width tires perfectly flush with the fender flares on my Built to Serve. I tried 1.5" spacer, but didn't like how the tires stuck out last the fender flares.
I'm looking at the same spacer set up you have, 3/4" front and 1" rear Boras. I have 295/70/18 Recon Grapplers on oem wheels with a 2" level up front. I know the oem wheels have pockets and will accommodate 1" spacers without trimming the studs. Did you have to trim the studs or have any rubbing issues? Thanks.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at the same spacer set up you have, 3/4" front and 1" rear Boras. I have 295/70/18 Recon Grapplers on oem wheels with a 2" level up front. I know the oem wheels have pockets and will accommodate 1" spacers without trimming the studs. Did you have to trim the studs or have any rubbing issues? Thanks.
I ended up trimming both front and rear studs. Fronts definitely needed trimmed with the 3/4". And on my wheels, with the 1" on rear the factory studs were just kissing inside the pockets on the wheels, so I trimmed the little unthreaded nipple off to be safe.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up trimming both front and rear studs. Fronts definitely needed trimmed with the 3/4". And on my wheels, with the 1" on rear the factory studs were just kissing inside the pockets on the wheels, so I trimmed the little unthreaded nipple off to be safe.
I remember when I was ordering mine I found out to not trim the spacers would need to be atleast 1.25

FourByBud

Reaction score
Anyone have pics from the side with spacers installed? I have a 22 1500 with flares and would love to bring the tires flush with the flares.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have pics from the side with spacers installed? I have a 22 1500 with flares and would love to bring the tires flush with the flares.
Its a bit a gray area. Some go with 1" but you would have to trim the studs, 1.25 no trimming. I went with 1.5
Here are some pics
20220625_133216.jpg 20220625_133235.jpg 20211119_093211.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perfectly flush on my 2020 BTS needed 3/4" front and 1" rear spacers. Factory front studs had to be trimmed. 1" spacers, it seems are hit or miss if they need studs trimmed. I did mine because they were just kissing the wheels. Others have said they had zero contact with 1" spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread