5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a 2021 Laramie 1500 Sport. It has power folding mirrors and I would like to replace with the power folding towing mirrors. Im being told I can

jomond

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 1500 Sport. It has power folding mirrors and I would like to replace with the power folding towing mirrors. Im being told there is nothing out there that will fit.
Has anyone done this and if so, what part number did you use. Also did you lose any features, like blind spot detection...
Thanx for any ideas.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a ‘21 Limited with the Trailer Tow Mirror Option (std Blind Spot Detection and heated function) with the Level 1 so it’s got the 360 Degree Camera as well. As it’s a ‘21, it’s got power fold tech, and power mirror adjustment (not for the spotter convex mirror tho sadly, the higher trim HD’s have that). Regardless, it may just be plug in play but I recommend talking to your service dept to see if it’s compatible and to figure out what exact part model you need; whether or not you have the cameras as well on your truck.

afphinfan

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 1500 Sport. It has power folding mirrors and I would like to replace with the power folding towing mirrors. Im being told there is nothing out there that will fit.
Has anyone done this and if so, what part number did you use. Also did you lose any features, like blind spot detection...
Thanx for any ideas.
Did you ever find anything out? I’m zeroing in on buying a used 2020 that has what I want but I don’t want the tow mirrors. I will be looking to swap to standard folding mirrors or ones with cameras to eventually add 360.

Advane

Reaction score
Did you ever find anything out? I’m zeroing in on buying a used 2020 that has what I want but I don’t want the tow mirrors. I will be looking to swap to standard folding mirrors or ones with cameras to eventually add 360.
Im trying to do opposite but no answer. I have 2020 bighorn with tow mirrors. Tow mirrors are heated, have puddle light and turn signal on top. I want to replace with power folding mirrors but i dont care if they power fold. I dont know if i connect would i still have power ajust, heat and turn signal without programming? Is it you must use every feature or none at all?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I've gathered from multiple discussions on here as well as additional research and discussion with my dealers parts department.

For power folding TOW mirrors to work, you also need blind spot, cross path detection and advanced safety group which includes the 360 camera system. You can add them in place of a standard power fold mirror and have them power fold, but the BCM may throw codes for BSM and cross path as well as camera detected, but no 360 system. You may also need to swap the door control modules for this to work if trying to add additional functionality. Adding more complications, if you have memory seats/mirrors on your truck, the mirrors may or may not work with that combo.

Manual fold tow mirrors have heat and main glass power adjustment only, no blind spot or camera functionality and would throw a code if swapped in for power folding mirrors that have BSM and cameras, but can be swapped for standard power fold mirrors without BSM and cameras with no issues other than losing the power fold functionality.

For those with power fold tow mirrors from the factory with BSM, 360 camera, etc, you can swap in the standard power fold mirrors with BSM and camera's directly without any programming and the system would not know the difference. If you were to swap in standard mirrors without BSM and camera's you will get codes and service BSM system messages.

afphinfan

Reaction score
Manual fold tow mirrors have heat and main glass power adjustment only, no blind spot or camera functionality and would throw a code if swapped in for power folding mirrors that have BSM and cameras, but can be swapped for standard power fold mirrors without BSM and cameras with no issues other than losing the power fold functionality.
The manual fold tow mirrors on my 2020 Laramie 1500 have heat and blindspot. They also have memory but I believe that comes from the module. When I remove them I will have them, the modules and the switch for sale. The functionality can be properly programmed using AlphaObd or the dealer if they are willing. I hope to document my swap next week.

afphinfan

Reaction score
I have successfully completed my mirror swap today. I will be cleaning up and selling the tow mirrors, their modules and the door window/mirror switch. The tow mirrors and modules support:
Manual fold
Blind Spot signal
Puddle Light
Heated
Memory
** I do not know if the driver's side auto dims (I believe that is a Laramie feature and Longhorn/Limited have both mirrors autodim?!)

I did not do a video as there are ones from Infotainment and others that are much prettier than I am. I might be willing to write up or video the connection of the bypass, Obdlink MX and AlphaObd s/w as it could be a little more intuitive. That said, once someone is up and running I would imagine it gets easy enough.

RedXRam57

Reaction score
I have successfully completed my mirror swap today. I will be cleaning up and selling the tow mirrors, their modules and the door window/mirror switch. The tow mirrors and modules support:
Manual fold
Blind Spot signal
Puddle Light
Heated
Memory
** I do not know if the driver's side auto dims (I believe that is a Laramie feature and Longhorn/Limited have both mirrors autodim?!)

I did not do a video as there are ones from Infotainment and others that are much prettier than I am. I might be willing to write up or video the connection of the bypass, Obdlink MX and AlphaObd s/w as it could be a little more intuitive. That said, once someone is up and running I would imagine it gets easy enough.
That write up about the bypass, OBD, and AlphaOBD would be very very helpful to this old goat.

Users who are viewing this thread