5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I guess this happens at -10 degrees...

ders0

Reaction score
Earlier this week after a particularly cold night with the truck parked out in the driveway, first the remote start didn’t work, didn’t think much of it, but then hopped in the truck and fired it up and you could tell it was ice cold as the engine gave a nice groan on start up. But here’s an interesting phenomena that happened: The 4WD drive lights were dim and blinking on and off. Never seen anything like that before.

Granted it was probably -15 air temp for most of the night and truck showed -10 on the dash when I was driving. As the truck warmed up the blinking stopped but it took probably 6-7 minutes.

I had to get gas on the way into work so it didn’t fully warm up as the gas station is right up the road. So I started it a second time at the gas station and it was still blinking so it wasn’t isolated to just a turn the truck off and I’m and it fixed itself type of thing. It was definitely the cold.

It’s supposed to be -20 air temp here on Tuesday so I guess I’ll get a chance to see if the issue comes back.

I’m not super worried as it fixes itself when the truck warms up, but still weird.

Here’s a gif image of the blinking:

Link: Blinking 4WD

Attachments

• AE231C9C-556B-4129-BF97-077F0F842244.jpeg
    AE231C9C-556B-4129-BF97-077F0F842244.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

ders0

Reaction score
I wonder if the transfer case oil was to thick for it to engage at that temp.

I don’t think so. I actually had the truck in 4 Auto when I started it as I park off the side of my driveway in the snow so I throw it in 4 when I back up into the driveway.

I switched it out of 4 and into 2W without any issue while the lights were doing their blinking.

I think the issue was purely electrical as if you look closely the white lights that illuminate what each button represents like 4 Lo, 4 auto, 2W, etc... are all flashing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online