5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I guess I better get a cap. I miss throwing stuff in the back of my SUV!

jj888

Reaction score
I have been holding off on a cap because I do like how a truck looks without one, but this past week traveling for Thanksgiving made things more clear. Here we have this nice truck and instead of just being able to throw everything in the back like we used to with our SUV, I had to stack all our luggage and stuff in the back seat while the kids were crammed in there as well. Now, of course a tonneau would have worked for that, but on the way home we got a Christmas tree, and that wouldn't have fit under it. I started thinking and we go camping a lot and skiing and stuff used to fit fine in the back of the Suburban and could be stacked so I can't think of a time when something would be too tall to fit under a cap but can think of times where it wouldn't fit under a tonneau. Plus the idea of going skiing and just hopping in the back to get dressed and stuff out of the snow is appealing. It just seems so convenient to throw everything in the back, close the door, and not worry about tying it down or it getting wet. Anyways, not really a question or anything...just thought I would ramble!

Roger_H

Reaction score
I have Rough Country’s flush-mounted trifold bed cover. No problem fitting a freshly cut 8-foot tree from our local Christmas tree farm (wrapped in netting) with it folded back and tailgate down. At least with my experience, no issues, and I like it. It is secure and does not leak (maybe some drops by the corners of the upper tailgate). But it also latches nicely and sits flush against the top of the tailgate—pretty solid construction.

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love a truck with a topper, wouldn't have it any other way - storage, camping, dogs, security etc. Lots of different options for style and not hard to remove if you need to haul the occasional big item but that's usually easier with a trailer anyways!

jj888

Reaction score
I love a truck with a topper, wouldn't have it any other way - storage, camping, dogs, security etc. Lots of different options for style and not hard to remove if you need to haul the occasional big item but that's usually easier with a trailer anyways!
Good point about the dog too, I forgot about that. We will get one someday and there won't be much room in the backseat for it with the kids. Are there any features you recommend in one that is good for a dog?

As far as removing it, I just assumed it was difficult to remove but it is good to hear that it is not the case. Is it just the manner of having a couple of people to lift it off and having a place to store it? Or do you have to get it on just right so it doesn't leak when you put it back on?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been holding off on a cap because I do like how a truck looks without one, but this past week traveling for Thanksgiving made things more clear. Here we have this nice truck and instead of just being able to throw everything in the back like we used to with our SUV, I had to stack all our luggage and stuff in the back seat while the kids were crammed in there as well. Now, of course a tonneau would have worked for that, but on the way home we got a Christmas tree, and that wouldn't have fit under it. I started thinking and we go camping a lot and skiing and stuff used to fit fine in the back of the Suburban and could be stacked so I can't think of a time when something would be too tall to fit under a cap but can think of times where it wouldn't fit under a tonneau. Plus the idea of going skiing and just hopping in the back to get dressed and stuff out of the snow is appealing. It just seems so convenient to throw everything in the back, close the door, and not worry about tying it down or it getting wet. Anyways, not really a question or anything...just thought I would ramble!
So would you put the Christmas tree inside your SUV if that's what you still had? And as mentioned, if you get the tree wrapped, it would fit under the tonneau just fine.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good point about the dog too, I forgot about that. We will get one someday and there won't be much room in the backseat for it with the kids. Are there any features you recommend in one that is good for a dog?

As far as removing it, I just assumed it was difficult to remove but it is good to hear that it is not the case. Is it just the manner of having a couple of people to lift it off and having a place to store it? Or do you have to get it on just right so it doesn't leak when you put it back on?
For a dog - side windows with screens that have sliders.

For camping- same windows as above plus fabric headliner (helps with condensation and noise) and bedrug

Removing topper - my ARE fiberglass topper is attached with 4 C-clamps so it is as easy as a wrench/rachet to remove those and then 2-4 people to lift it off and set it on saw horses or similar. Depending on how long it has been on and a few other factors you may need to replace the 'topper tape' that forms a water/dust seal between the topper and bed rails.

Depending on your budget I would also recommend the power topper locks that sync to your fob so when you lock/unlock the topper does as well. If you are tall enough to use them side windows (side windows that open up for access) are nice and I always get a slider in the front window so you can open the slider on truck and topper to pass things through, run charging cords, or with a seal heat/cool the bed.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't have any mini humans to worry about and the quadcab fits the wife and me just fine.

I have been trying to convince my wife a midsized truck with a cap would be right for her. She wants a square looking SUV and doesn't like Jeeps. Damn in we are getting a $100k Mercedes SUV.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So would you put the Christmas tree inside your SUV if that's what you still had? And as mentioned, if you get the tree wrapped, it would fit under the tonneau just fine.

Good question. Spotted this last weekend and was thoroughly impressed:

IMG_6558.jpg

jj888

Reaction score
Luckily I didn't forget the saw! Seriously though, yeah I used to put it in the SUV with one side of the 60/40 seats folded down and it would fit. But I got this tree in the woods anyways so it wasn't bailed. I am sure I could have tied it up to fit under a tonneau, but I was just giving that as an example. For the most part I was saying that I would like to just throw a bunch of stuff back there and not worry about it having to be under the height of the bed rails.

jj888

Reaction score
Good point on the sliders for the dogs. Do you have the ARE CX then?

For a dog - side windows with screens that have sliders.

For camping- same windows as above plus fabric headliner (helps with condensation and noise) and bedrug

Removing topper - my ARE fiberglass topper is attached with 4 C-clamps so it is as easy as a wrench/rachet to remove those and then 2-4 people to lift it off and set it on saw horses or similar. Depending on how long it has been on and a few other factors you may need to replace the 'topper tape' that forms a water/dust seal between the topper and bed rails.

Depending on your budget I would also recommend the power topper locks that sync to your fob so when you lock/unlock the topper does as well. If you are tall enough to use them side windows (side windows that open up for access) are nice and I always get a slider in the front window so you can open the slider on truck and topper to pass things through, run charging cords, or with a seal heat/cool the bed.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Get a topper. It's by far the best thing you'll ever put on your truck. However, I will be the first to admit, it definitely cuts down on the cool factor look of the truck without it. Doesn't matter to me at this point in life, the 200 pros of having the topper significantly outweigh the 3 cons.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
My thoughts, let's say you need to move a refrigerator or something similar (washer dryer) that you shouldn't lay down.

If needed, I can flip my tri-fold in about 20 seconds or completely remove it in about 3 minutes and fit it in the bed with whatever I'm hauling.

With a topper, it's a multi person lift and a way more involved process. Sure it's rare that you'd have to, but hell, it rare that I even use the bed for anything besides groceries of a quick trip to Lowe's.

I can see the benefits of both, just adding to the discussion.

I have see some pretty cool garage hoist systems that can lift the top off and hold it. I'd definitely rig up something like that if I had one. Even some bicycle ceiling Hooks and four ratchet straps would work.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

zlman

Reaction score
I wouldn't be without a topper, 75% of the things I put in the bed, I don't want exposed to the elements.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're dead set on a topper, and have space in the garage, they make kits that you can use to pull the topper off the truck and hang it from the ceiling. Or you can DIY one. That way you just back the truck in, unclamp it from the bed, hook it to the lift, and pull it to the ceiling. Reverse when you need it on the truck.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
How easy would it be to load and tie down 4 kayaks with a topper? I stand in the bed to lift each one up and do all the straps.

20210528_092117.jpg

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How easy would it be to load and tie down 4 kayaks with a topper? I stand in the bed to lift each one up and do all the straps.

View attachment 112807 20190803_191957.jpg
I load my canoe with a topper - I stand on the crew cab door sill and on the tailgate with the topper rear door closed to strap. If you have Yakima load bars they make and extention that slides out to make it easier without a 2nd person. I bought the topper with the tracks installed from factory for the towers. 20210802_132703.jpg
20190803_191957.jpg

Last edited:

jj888

Reaction score
My thoughts, let's say you need to move a refrigerator or something similar (washer dryer) that you shouldn't lay down.

If needed, I can flip my tri-fold in about 20 seconds or completely remove it in about 3 minutes and fit it in the bed with whatever I'm hauling.

With a topper, it's a multi person lift and a way more involved process. Sure it's rare that you'd have to, but hell, it rare that I even use the bed for anything besides groceries of a quick trip to Lowe's.

I can see the benefits of both, just adding to the discussion.

I have see some pretty cool garage hoist systems that can lift the top off and hold it. I'd definitely rig up something like that if I had one. Even some bicycle ceiling Hooks and four ratchet straps would work.

This is actually a great point and very helpful. Besides the looks (which I probably don't need to care about much anyways because let's face it, I am getting older!), I keep thinking "what if I need to haul a refrigerator or some dirt or something"? Then I think back the last 20 years or more, there was ONE time I needed to move a refrigerator and I rented a truck for the day. There were two times I needed a little bit of gravel and I borrowed my dad's truck and shoveled it in by hand because he had a cap. The other time I got some bark, I had it delivered.

Your point really makes me think about what I will be using this for the most and the truck is mostly going to be used for vacations, camping, etc. and I am thinking about when it rains, how nice it will be to just get everything packed in undercover, including bikes. In addition, this would give a dog a nice place to be since I wouldn't have room in the front. I guess there are pros and cons to everything so I just have to figure out what will be useful most of the time. Thanks for all of the input!

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I think looks are a non-point and subjective. I think some of them look pretty sweet (like above).

Your truck, only your opinion matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/