5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I did it again. Homelink Button Breaks

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
So I am not sure if I’ve set a record or I don’t know my own strength. I have now broken 3 different Homelink buttons in 2019 Rams. 1st was a 2019 Limited, 2nd was a 2019 Laramie Loaner (that I had for almost a month), and now my 2019 Laramie. I pressed the button just a little bit ago and garage door didn’t close so like the IT guy in me I pressed a little harder and SNAP. Just like the previous 2 I’ve broken it still works but I had my 2016 for 2 years and that never happened. It anybody else breaking these buttons at an alarming rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
And to be clear I didn’t think I pressed the button with such force that it should have broken whatever snapped in there. It seems to me that they used some very cheap plastic on those homelink doodads.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Well, if you ever want to break your homelink buttons here is a 2 minute video. It really only takes a couple minutes but heed my advice, pushing harder does not make it work better.

https://homelink.com/ram

fact mechanic

Reaction score
So I am not sure if I’ve set a record or I don’t know my own strength. I have now broken 3 different Homelink buttons in 2019 Rams. 1st was a 2019 Limited, 2nd was a 2019 Laramie Loaner (that I had for almost a month), and now my 2019 Laramie. I pressed the button just a little bit ago and garage door didn’t close so like the IT guy in me I pressed a little harder and SNAP. Just like the previous 2 I’ve broken it still works but I had my 2016 for 2 years and that never happened. It anybody else breaking these buttons at an alarming rate?

Yep. Same thing. Now it’s sunken in just a little bit. Still works, just feels different.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Yep. Same thing. Now it’s sunken in just a little bit. Still works, just feels different.

Right! No one would probably notice but me it it ticks me off every time and it doesn’t line up the same.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, my button is receded. I don't press it too hard but I have to go in and out of the garage A LOT due to my job and kid duties. So I suspect more of ya'll will notice this over time. The button is certainly not as responsive as it was when it was brand new. Once an easy quick strike of the button is now maybe two or three. I'll wait until it completely gives out until I try to get it replaced. It is the left button below:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know. I just press it once easy and release and the door opens. No breaks so far 6 months in.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and the vehicle responds, " Successfully Opening the Garage Door after 1,000 clicks - Have a Nice Day"
and just to get even, as you try to pull in or walk in if your Rig is too large, the door slams shut on you .. :)

or

as you start pressing harder and harder, "OH! You meant THAT garage door!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread