5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I’m going nuts with 3.21s and 35” tires

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Man, this is so weird and crazy to me b.c i have read this time and time and again! So knowing i got a 3.21 i was pretty bummed and mad i didnt go with the 3.92 b.c i knew id put tires and level it, just figured i don't tow like that so don't need it. So i finally put new tires on my truck with the Bilstein level front and back. (Toyo ATIII 35x11.5r20) and i have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with hunting between 7th and 8th. maybe what @JerryBsizzle said its likely people don't recalibrate and it throws the transmission off. but if I'm on the highway/freeway flat, or even going up north through mountains to go to Payson from Phoenix (AZ) and once im in 8th i never go back down to 7th unless i brake behind someone. werid and unsure but ive never had this issue with 3.21 and im pretty happy about it.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I used alfaobd to recalibrate my speedometer after upgrading my tires to 295/60r20. Only time will tell if updating the tire size on my BCM alone will work. If not, I'm going to buy rough country's speed recalibration tool. It apparently not only calibrates the speedometer but adjusts the ECM to modify the shift point base on the tire sze.
Both of mine were done by the dealer. They built both trucks, and on the first one I had the issue of hunting for gears and I used the GPS on my phone and saw the speedometer was off. So I brought it back, they did it on the spot and it worked perfect after that. On this latest truck I picked everything out and had them do all the work. I made damn sure the speedo recalibration was on there.

Just think about it. When you put bigger tires you are taking less revolutions to go the same distance. Your computer thinks you are going slower than you actually are (because of less revolutions). My OEM tires were 661 revolutions per mile, the tires I have now 603. If your truck is hunting for gears and you haven't recalibrated you probably should start there. Like my old boss would say, "when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras".

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
An udapte: my truck drives much better after I changed the tire size using alfaobd. I've heard that Jscan works pretty well to but I've never used it. Overall, I'm happy with the outcome with my 295/60/20, which is close to 34x11.5x20
Glad to hear. it sounds like.... from just research, other folks and this forum. that if folks recalibrate there speedo its not an issue. but those that dont seem to have hunting problems from 7th and 8th. not saying thats 100% true or debunked but seems to be a trend with people that do it, dont have a problem reguardless the gear ratio

Belle44

Reaction score
I knew when I installed the 35s I would lose some cruise rpm and effective gearing but I really did not expect the truck to be hunting between 7-8th gears on flat ground. This is killing me. I am aware I can just get some shorter tires but the current stance I have is important to me. I asked my dealer to price out a loaded 3.92 new rear housing and front section but they arent even sure it is available and if so what the cost will be. This crazy there is no aftermarket support for these axles.
I think my best bet here is to either find someone to switch and pay for the labor, or trade in on a different truck. But my truck is a good one so i hate to roll that dice. For now i have to keep hitting the steering wheel gear limit button and lock out 8th gear.
I made a big mistake.
Just get the OBDMX+ with the security cables also you have to buy the alphaOBF program change the size of the tire and the Speedometer presto problem solved

gomango392

Reaction score
I knew when I installed the 35s I would lose some cruise rpm and effective gearing but I really did not expect the truck to be hunting between 7-8th gears on flat ground. This is killing me. I am aware I can just get some shorter tires but the current stance I have is important to me. I asked my dealer to price out a loaded 3.92 new rear housing and front section but they arent even sure it is available and if so what the cost will be. This crazy there is no aftermarket support for these axles.
I think my best bet here is to either find someone to switch and pay for the labor, or trade in on a different truck. But my truck is a good one so i hate to roll that dice. For now i have to keep hitting the steering wheel gear limit button and lock out 8th gear.
I made a big mistake.
Never had this problem with my 4th gen on 35s and 3.21s it almost always went into 8th gear on the highway. Having so many gears, they will always search for gears no matter the gear ratio. My 23 with 3.92s and 35s searches sometimes as well, depends on the roads.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never had this problem with my 4th gen on 35s and 3.21s it almost always went into 8th gear on the highway. Having so many gears, they will always search for gears no matter the gear ratio. My 23 with 3.92s and 35s searches sometimes as well, depends on the roads.
Fourth gens, and fifth gens, are totally different animals. A LOT more electronics.

gomango392

Reaction score
Fourth gens, and fifth gens, are totally different animals. A LOT more electronics.
Hmm, they have the same engine and transmission though, plus the 5th gen is slightly lighter. Either way, I notice zero difference between the 3.21 and 3.92. If I didn't order my truck, I'd never pass on a truck on the lot for having 3.21s. It was foolish not to spend the 195 for the 3.92 upgrade but it'd not a make or break deal for me. Heck my 5th gen feels a lot slower than my 4th did.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Hmm, they have the same engine and transmission though, plus the 5th gen is slightly lighter. Either way, I notice zero difference between the 3.21 and 3.92. If I didn't order my truck, I'd never pass on a truck on the lot for having 3.21s. It was foolish not to spend the 195 for the 3.92 upgrade but it'd not a make or break deal for me. Heck my 5th gen feels a lot slower than my 4th did.
5th gen 8hp75 has several tweaked gear ratio changes vs the 4th Gen 8hp70. The 1:1 and OD gears were the same but the lower gears changed a bit.

This video describes the changes.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
An udapte: my truck drives much better after I changed the tire size using alfaobd. I've heard that Jscan works pretty well to but I've never used it. Overall, I'm happy with the outcome with my 295/60/20, which is close to 34x11.5x20
Glad it worked. Now just imagine how much better it would be with 3.92 gears! 🤣😆🤣😆

DJ menace

Reaction score
Just get the OBDMX+ with the security cables also you have to buy the alphaOBF program change the size of the tire and the Speedometer presto problem solved
I agree with this statement and alfaOBD practically pays for itself! I've used alfaOBD to recalibrate the tire size, and to reprogram a few things. However, I used the veepeak OBD scanner, which was like 15 bucks on amazon.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone who can speak for that long must know what they are talking about tho 😝
Yes he did sound like he knew what he was talking about. And he also said at the end, if you’re putting bigger tires on your truck, like 35’s, def go with the 3.92.

Upon further review, the call has been changed on the field to 3.92 for the win (with bigger tires)!🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread