5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical scenarios. What would you do?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Scenario 1 :​

Laramie with everything I want.
Only downside is it has the e-Torque system.
MSRP : 67,975
Discounted : 63,118 + tax + tag + $444

Scenario 2 :​

Big Horn and missing most of the items on my "want" list.
But does have standard V8
MSRP : 55,925
Out The Door : 42,000

That is almost a $20K difference in price.
Would you give up your "must have" items to save $20K?

If I could afford either truck without putting myself into financial strain, I'd go Scenario 1 every single time. Life is short, and if you're going to make a large purchase you should at least come away happy with it. Having a smaller payment but being unhappy would still suck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just to be clear, my "scenerio 3" point was not that all of us should drive beaters...more that there is a lot of folks who really can't afford these new trucks, but sell their soul to borrow their way into one. And that they forget that there is a certsin amount of freedom that comes with having a daily that is older, and pre-dinged. My hot rod was a Chevelle SS clone, with a 5-speed and crazy big block motor, and was a 7.5 kinda car. At the cruise nights, some of my buddies with matching number, perfect resto cars...would freak everytime some kid got within 2 feet of their cars....it was no fun for them. Me? I'd let kids sit in mine, and watch them smile while pretend shifting....freedom.
That has nothing to do with how nice the car was, and more to do with the mentality of your buddies.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I could afford either truck without putting myself into financial strain, I'd go Scenario 1 every single time. Life is short, and if you're going to make a large purchase you should at least come away happy with it. Having a smaller payment but being unhappy would still suck.
Exactly this. The vehicle I had before this truck was brand new, and nice with features, not crazy expensive but I didn't love it. Just got back from vacation with a weekly rental that I completely hated (Nissan Altima worst car ever can't believe people actually pay money for them). Was never so happy to drive to work on a Monday morning in my truck!

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
This would be a cash purchase unless they want to provide any finance rebate.
If so, it would be paid off in a few months anyway.
I totally get with what just everyone says which is to buy what you want and fully agree.
The difficulty is mentally getting over that a truck costs that much.
The $20k saved could go toward finishing the house renovation or better yet, one hell of a trip to Vegas!!!😛

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I totally get with what just everyone says which is to buy what you want and fully agree.
The $20k saved could go toward finishing the house renovation or better yet, one hell of a trip to Vegas!!!😛
Just gotta decide what's more important to you. Sounds like maybe finding a different used truck with more of the option you desire on it would be a better choice financially, if that's a concern.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Eventually you'll figure it out, good asking for advice/opinions BUT

Always liked Curly Washburn

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with how nice the car was, and more to do with the mentality of your buddies.yes, there is definitely some OCD involved in some of those guys.

well...it definitely has something to do with how much they spent on the car, and how flawless the paint is...but to your point, there is some OCD involved for sure.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well...it definitely has something to do with how much they spent on the car, and how flawless the paint is...but to your point, there is some OCD involved for sure.
I'm not saying let kids climb all over the car without concern, but to turn a little kid off from enjoying the cars because you are more worried about the car rather than sharing your passion with them isn't a good mindset. These are usually the same guys that get upset and talk down to show organizers when they don't win trophies.

Jako

Reaction score
OCD - maybe - I prefer attention to detail. OCD is "unwanted" from:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) - Symptoms and causes

"De gustibus non est disputandum"
Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes".

This can be related to people's values. Museums don't allow you near the "art". To some it's a piece of art, some a Ferrari, some a restored muscle car, some their Ram and some their 1st vehicle (usually bought with their own earnings).

If you're happy I'm happy, just respect each others art/values.

And if you find yourself heading to a dispute over matters refer to:
1676992122503.png

I find the last is enhanced with age.

And if they get to close to the "paint job" hopefully you have the ability to back up the second one.

Jako

Reaction score
Well we made it 4 pages until things got this weird.
Actually page 3
So you should drive crap your entire life, so when you are old you have a lot of money and can enjoy the last few years?

May as well tell people to never buy a house and always rent and move around to cheaper areas too but it just not ideal.

It's kind of like buying a really expensive\good quality mattress, you spend half your life on it.

You don't pay for any upkeep or property tax when you rent you also don't pay interest.

As far as post #70 I explain it it in words you can comprehend.

"Some people like nice cars, others good computers, big TVs, huge house, etc"

Just respect the other persons values.

If you are / were offended by "LOL "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments." Perhaps you should find out why I'm LOL.

As a point of information my 2001 Dodge Ram was $700 a month.

I'm happy, hope you are too.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually page 3
So you should drive crap your entire life, so when you are old you have a lot of money and can enjoy the last few years?

May as well tell people to never buy a house and always rent and move around to cheaper areas too but it just not ideal.

It's kind of like buying a really expensive\good quality mattress, you spend half your life on it.

You don't pay for any upkeep or property tax when you rent you also don't pay interest.

As far as post #70 I explain it it in words you can comprehend.

"Some people like nice cars, others good computers, big TVs, huge house, etc"

Just respect the other persons values.

If you are / were offended by "LOL "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments." Perhaps you should find out why I'm LOL.

As a point of information my 2001 Dodge Ram was $700 a month.

I'm happy, hope you are too.
Makes me think of an old manager and friend of mine who died two months into retirement at 67 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread