5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical scenarios. What would you do?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
From what I read, the leaking window was more of a 2019 issue and resolved in the 2022 and up. Is that correct?
I found a UConnect thread and it sounds like a sporadic issue which a few people resolved with a reset and some having it unresolved.
I can't comment on that person's issues but uConnect is brand new for 2022. 2019-2021 used UC4.
I don't have a ton of issues with my UC5 personally.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I have been searching and the UConnect issue does seem to be hit or miss, and the luck of the draw.

Back to the original topic....
The last few replies is more in line with my mindset.
(Its not an affordability issue but rather whether or not to pay that much. Also, I have never been a fan of purchasing used. )

To append to the latest comments, we had dogs and even take care of other dogs and not once have I been concerned when they scratch the door, dash or scratch the seats.
Wondering if I will feel that way with a $65k truck or be more at ease with a $42K truck.
I know its just a mindset, but what can I say.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have been searching and the UConnect issue does seem to be hit or miss, and the luck of the draw.

(Its not an affordability issue but rather whether or not to pay that much. Also, I have never been a fan of purchasing used. )

To append to the latest comments, we had dogs and even take care of other dogs and not once have I been concerned when they scratch the door, dash or scratch the seats.
Wondering if I will feel that way with a $65k truck or be more at ease with a $42K truck.
As soon as I read this I screamed buy used.
No point in getting a clean fancy new truck if it's going to get all dirty.

Find a well equipped used truck that already has some "wear and tear" and then you will not care what the dogs do and they will not decrease the value of your truck before it ages.

bronco44

Reaction score

In my experience, if you order the $65k truck, you will not want a single animal anywhere near it. Even 5 years later in my "cheap by comparison" custom Crosstrek, I have let 1 dog ride in it once and I covered every single inch that the dog could touch in multiple layers of blankets and towels.
My other guess is, if you get the $65k truck, you will stop taking care of other dogs.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Get what makes you the happiest. If there are truly "must haves" then don't settle, you will just be looking at another truck in a couple of years to fill that need. I've had dogs, they rode in my vehicles new and used - didn't want them tearing up either so I just took the necessary precautions. I guess you will have to decide whether to live with buyer's remorse or settler's remorse ;)

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Get what makes you the happiest. If there are truly "must haves" then don't settle, you will just be looking at another truck in a couple of years to fill that need. I've had dogs, they rode in my vehicles new and used - didn't want them tearing up either so I just took the necessary precautions. I guess you will have to decide whether to live with buyer's remorse or settler's remorse ;)

I guess having a truck that I can treat like a truck (inside and out) would probably make me happy.
Thinking back, that may have been the purpose of the thread to see if others had this debate with themselves, and the overwhelming vote was the opposite.
These are the types of decisions you don't really know which is correct until afterward.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There are covers you can buy to protect the eats and door panels. In the ends. $65k truck is just as much of a truck as a $30k truck. If you are buying a truck, but afraid to use it as a truck, don't buy a truck

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
There are covers you can buy to protect the eats and door panels. In the ends. $65k truck is just as much of a truck as a $30k truck. If you are buying a truck, but afraid to use it as a truck, don't buy a truck

Actually, the concerns of having a wife and dogs damage the inside of the vehicle would be a concern whether a truck or any other vehicle.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree Jako, I always loved the "rough around the edges" trucks I had in the past...such freedom to just drive-park-not worry, and enjoy it for what it is. BUT, I do like having all the comforts now at 64 years old. "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments.
Ditto "such freedom"
LOL "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments.

I tell my neighbor his BMW cost $150,000 vs my 2001 Dodge.
He says no it that didn't cost that much.
Just figure how much you would have if you invested what you paid.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ditto "such freedom"
LOL "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments.

I tell my neighbor his BMW cost $150,000 vs my 2001 Dodge.
He says no it that didn't cost that much.
Just figure how much you would have if you invested what you paid.

So you should drive crap your entire life, so when you are old you have a lot of money and can enjoy the last few years?

Nawww i'm good, ill enjoy my life as I live it as others would say "life is too short" why wait to enjoy it.

It's kind of like buying a really expensive\good quality mattress, you spend half your life on it. I drive my truck a lot and whatever I do I want to be happy. Obviously not everyone is in a position to "spend $700+ a month on a car payment" but it's a trade off.
Some people like nice cars, others good computers, big TVs, huge house, etc. May as well tell people to never buy a house and always rent and move around to cheaper areas too but it just not ideal.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you should drive crap your entire life, so when you are old you have a lot of money and can enjoy the last few years?

Nawww i'm good, ill enjoy my life as I live it as others would say "life is too short" why wait to enjoy it.

It's kind of like buying a really expensive\good quality mattress, you spend half your life on it. I drive my truck a lot and whatever I do I want to be happy. Obviously not everyone is in a position to "spend $700+ a month on a car payment" but it's a trade off.
Some people like nice cars, others good computers, big TVs, huge house, etc. May as well tell people to never buy a house and always rent and move around to cheaper areas too but it just not ideal.
Doesn't really work comparing re ring a house to buying. 99 time out of 100, a mortgage payment will be cheaper than paying rent on an identical house. I know people paying more per months to rent a 2-bedroom apartment than they would with a mortgage on a 3-4bed house.

Jako

Reaction score

Happy for you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn't really work comparing re ring a house to buying. 99 time out of 100, a mortgage payment will be cheaper than paying rent on an identical house. I know people paying more per months to rent a 2-bedroom apartment than they would with a mortgage on a 3-4bed house.
You don't pay for any upkeep or property tax when you rent you also don't pay interest.
Property tax on a house could almost be 6 months rent depending on where you live.
Rent is only more expensive in big cities.

I pay $1100 rent for a 2 bedroom house. My mortgage would be around $2400 for the same thing, before taxes, upkeep, and home insurance and I would be stuck here for 30 years.

I was just trying to point out some examples of buying something you don't have the money for\expensive. I don't know anyone who buys a house in full and makes interest on it. Lots of time people want to move for family, job, etc but can't because they own a house and need to take a hit to get out of it vs if they just rented give 1 month notice and cya.

If you have the money and can swing it, go for it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't pay for any upkeep or property tax when you rent you also don't pay interest.
Property tax on a house could almost be 6 months rent depending on where you live.
Rent is only more expensive in big cities.

I pay $1100 rent for a 2 bedroom house. My mortgage would be around $2400 for the same thing, before taxes, upkeep, and home insurance and I would be stuck here for 30 years.

I was just trying to point out some examples of buying something you don't have the money for\expensive. I don't know anyone who buys a house in full and makes interest on it. Lots of time people want to move for family, job, etc but can't because they own a house and need to take a hit to get out of it vs if they just rented give 1 month notice and cya.

If you have the money and can swing it, go for it
You've obviously never been a homeowner. If you own a house and are going to take a hit on selling it's then you got screwed when you bought the house. Especially in today's market. Also, if you are smart, you either roll taxes/insurance into your escrow account which is part of your mortgage payment. Or put the extra money your would pay for escrow into savings account each month to cover taxes and insurance.

As far as your rent, you are paying more for your rent than the homeowner is paying for mortgage payments, or they are losing money on you. When I had my old house, which was a three bedroom multi-level with 2500sq/ft finished space and large three car garage, I was only paying $1100/mo. I could have rented it for $1500 easily. My current mortgage on a 4-bed four bath 2500+ sq/ft built in 2014 is under $2000 a month, including all taxes and insurance in an escrow account. Similar houses with only 2 or 3 car garages are renting for $2200+. Luckily I got locked in on my interest rate when it was rock bottom. But that's because we had a great lender who had us refinance after only being in the house for a year.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
get the one you want because granted, you can still add the features in later (through DIY and stuff) but you end up spending more money.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

i just saw this.

well, don't be afraid of getting your truck dirty. My scenerio:
ordered my Rebel from MD. With 500 miles on the clock i was poking the grommet on the firewall to feed wires through already, pulled headunit (UC5) to drill hopes on the dash and floor console to feed controller wires.

Then a month after I took delivery I brought it to the desert to hoon around. lol

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score

just to be clear, my "scenerio 3" point was not that all of us should drive beaters...more that there is a lot of folks who really can't afford these new trucks, but sell their soul to borrow their way into one. And that they forget that there is a certsin amount of freedom that comes with having a daily that is older, and pre-dinged. My hot rod was a Chevelle SS clone, with a 5-speed and crazy big block motor, and was a 7.5 kinda car. At the cruise nights, some of my buddies with matching number, perfect resto cars...would freak everytime some kid got within 2 feet of their cars....it was no fun for them. Me? I'd let kids sit in mine, and watch them smile while pretend shifting....freedom.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
just to be clear, my "scenerio 3" point was not that all of us should drive beaters...more that there is a lot of folks who really can't afford these new trucks, but sell their soul to borrow their way into one. And that they forget that there is a certsin amount of freedom that comes with having a daily that is older, and pre-dinged. My hot rod was a Chevelle SS clone, with a 5-speed and crazy big block motor, and was a 7.5 kinda car. At the cruise nights, some of my buddies with matching number, perfect resto cars...would freak everytime some kid got within 2 feet of their cars....it was no fun for them. Me? I'd let kids sit in mine, and watch them smile while pretend shifting....freedom.
Got ya. My first car was a 93 Oldsmobile that I paid $575 for. Was great and it was a "learning car" so I didn't care if it ever got dinged.

The only other car\truck I had that I guess I didn't really care about was a 97 Expedition my father gave to me with 185k miles. It was completely rusted out, the rear suspension was removed so it just floated\bounced, no parking break, and I zip tied the exhaust (broken) up so I didn't need to bother removing it from the 1 hanger it was still connected to.

Truck was great and comfortable but I didn't need to spend a boat load of money, or worry about someone's car door hitting it.

The worse thing someone can do old or young, is buy something you can't afford, it's never going to be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread