5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical scenarios. What would you do?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What exactly are the wants on the Big Horn that are missing? $20k is a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Scenerio 3: buy a used, high mileage, stripped down POS, and save another $20K......get the truck you want, life is short sir.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just custom order what you want.
If you want a cheaper truck go buy a Toyota Tundra for $30k, or a much cheaper used truck don't get a Ram that you don't want.

A lot of this comes down to how old you are, and how much money you are making.
Is this new truck planning to be a stepping stone, or something you want to keep financially for a very long time?

Sandi\Aaron took care of me at MD back in March 2022 with my Limited for around 65k post discounts pre-tax. It had everything I wanted, I have 0 reason to replace this truck in the next 15-20 years unless it breaks, or I end up getting 2 vehicles for just myself in around 10 years which is highly unlikely unless I change my job (sports car for 3 seasons, and beater truck for the winter).

If you don't get what you want, you will always be thinking about upgrading and replacing the truck anyways, and generally take a loss in value (but not always).

Robman700

Reaction score
42k is still a lot of money. Might as well spend a little more and get the one you want , and I’m another E torque owner and I have no problems out of mine.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The eTorque trepidation is wayyyy overblown by a few people vs the millions that have zero issues, don't let that be the reason you don't get the truck closer to what you want. As for the downshifting, the 8speed trans does that as well so etorque or not, you'll still have that. I have no regrets about etorque, wasn't a necessity or a deal breaker but the truck had every other option that I wanted so I bought it. I dont even know that UC 5 problems reported would impact my decision, not that there's a choice

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Just to confirm, you spoke to Aaron at MD and that is the price he sent you on the POC? If that's the case, 100% shop around. Like my first post said, you should be somewhere around $59k if not lower.

E-mailed Arron and it was my mistake.
I have a **** load of trucks and numbers written down and copied the wrong numbers.
To clarify, the estimate for the truck in scenario 1 :
MSRP 67,975
MD : 58,989
The 63,118 was the price I was estimating as the OTD price.

Kumba1010

Reaction score
E-mailed Arron and it was my mistake.
I have a **** load of trucks and numbers written down and copied the wrong numbers.
To clarify, the estimate for the truck in scenario 1 :
MSRP 67,975
MD : 58,989
The 63,118 was the price I was estimating as the OTD price.
If it's me, and I have the means I will go with the truck that has most of the options I want. I won't want to regret in future. There are a lot of people who are happy with their etorque

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer not to purchase used and buy another person's problems. :D
Granted new vehicles have issues too, but the odds are less and you at least still have coverage.
Then etorque it is unless you find a '22 equipped as you want without it.

I chose to avoid the etorque and bought a used Limited...after 4 new, ordered trucks in a row. 50k miles on it, saved $30,000 and the truck looks new.

No regrets here...and not everyone gets rid of a vehicle because it has issues...I sure as hell don't.

Last edited:

fishingmaniac

Reaction score
Totally unaware about the unconnect 5. Is there a thread about it?
I just basically lemon lawed (long story) a jeep grand cherokee its main issues where the uconnect 5. What a steering pile of poop that was. Frankly I don't know if I'll buy another stellantis product after the way I was treated from them. That being said the etorque is the least of your worries. The uconnect 5 taking out all your options like memory seats, screen going blank. Locking up, profiles not working. and all the other electronic issues it causes.would be your #1 concern. Then the leaking rear window, leaking 3rd light would be your number 2 and 3 biggest concerns.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I just basically lemon lawed (long story) a jeep grand cherokee its main issues where the uconnect 5. What a steering pile of poop that was. Frankly I don't know if I'll buy another stellantis product after the way I was treated from them. That being said the etorque is the least of your worries. The uconnect 5 taking out all your options like memory seats, screen going blank. Locking up, profiles not working. and all the other electronic issues it causes.would be your #1 concern. Then the leaking rear window, leaking 3rd light would be your number 2 and 3 biggest concerns.
From what I read, the leaking window was more of a 2019 issue and resolved in the 2022 and up. Is that correct?
I found a UConnect thread and it sounds like a sporadic issue which a few people resolved with a reset and some having it unresolved.

D_Kendall

Reaction score

Scenario 1 :​

Laramie with everything I want.
Only downside is it has the e-Torque system.
MSRP : 67,975
Discounted : 63,118 + tax + tag + $444

Scenario 2 :​

Big Horn and missing most of the items on my "want" list.
But does have standard V8
MSRP : 55,925
Out The Door : 42,000

That is almost a $20K difference in price.
Would you give up your "must have" items to save $20K?
NO!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Scenerio 3: buy a used, high mileage, stripped down POS, and save another $20K......get the truck you want, life is short sir.
Scenario 3 has a place minus the POS.
High insurance states - no fire, theft or collision costs.
Don't need to park it at the far reaches of parking lots.
Another ding is not an agonizing moment like a new vehicle
Car wash frequency can be left to mother nature.
Other drivers maintain a "caution zone" to the "bucket of bolts"
Maintenance cost vs payments and insurance premiums is lower.

Love my 2019 Ram and it has given me "miles of smiles", but I still put my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 to use for the "dirty" jobs and love it for the "salt" season. Forty plus years of commuting and parking in various neighborhoods of NYC has taught me an appreciation for the "beater".

Your post is well taken. Dollars, needs and wants, where do you draw the line?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Scenario 3 has a place minus the POS.
High insurance states - no fire, theft or collision costs.
Don't need to park it at the far reaches of parking lots.
Another ding is not an agonizing moment like a new vehicle
Car wash frequency can be left to mother nature.
Other drivers maintain a "caution zone" to the "bucket of bolts"
Maintenance cost vs payments and insurance premiums is lower

Your post is well taken. Dollars, needs and wants, where do you draw the line?
Oh, I totally agree Jako, I always loved the "rough around the edges" trucks I had in the past...such freedom to just drive-park-not worry, and enjoy it for what it is. BUT, I do like having all the comforts now at 64 years old. "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree Jako, I always loved the "rough around the edges" trucks I had in the past...such freedom to just drive-park-not worry, and enjoy it for what it is. BUT, I do like having all the comforts now at 64 years old. "scenario 3" is where a lot of guys SHOULD be looking, it blows my mind that people can have $700+ a month car/truck payments.
Most people today need a warranty on a vehicle because they don't know how to do their own maintenance to keep a beater going. And would spend more money keeping one running/driving than they spend on a new vehicle. I see it all the time around here in local Facebook groups. Single parent barely getting by spends all the money they have saved to buy a beater. Car breaks down, they don't k ow how to fix it themselves, can't afford to pay a shop to fix it because they spent all their money buying the vehicle. Then are in Facebook with a sob story begging for help because they need to get to work, or need to be able to get their kids to and from school. Had they been a little amateur, budgeted a little better and bought a newer vehicle, they wouldn't be in the predicament of no longer having a vehicle to drive in order to get to work so they can pay the bills

Users who are viewing this thread