5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HVAC auto setting problems

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I have the 12" unconnect 4 system in my 21 BTS. Since the cold is here I keep the heat set to AUTO at about 70° to 75° but recently I noticed when I remove start the truck that the defrost and heat is on which is normal when its 40° or colder but when I hit the start button the blower seems to turn off and nothing blows through the vents even though it's like 30° outside and set to AUTO. I have pushed the power and tune button down at the same time to "reboot" the system and then it will start blowing heat again like the AUTO setting will do. Does anyone know if there are any updates for Uconnect 4 before I take it in to have the dealer look at it? I bought the truck new in 6/21 and it did an OTA update few months after I bought the truck but nothing since then and it's worked flawlessly up until this started happening. It's still covered under the factory warranty but I hate taking it in if I don't have to.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it eventually start blowing? On auto, it won't start blowing hot air until the engine is at full temperature.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Does it eventually start blowing? On auto, it won't start blowing hot air until the engine is at full temperature.
That could very well be the problem because I have a short commute. I do remote start the truck and let it run for a few minutes before I leave work. I'll have to pay attention to that tonight when I get out at 12:30 am.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like a strange way to program the auto feature doesn’t it? I don’t have mine set to auto but I’ve noticed that it still makes adjustments to the ambient temp outside & it drives me crazy. So 71° isn’t really always 71°, it will adjust higher or lower depending on what it is outside but still display 71°.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Seems like a strange way to program the auto feature doesn’t it? I don’t have mine set to auto but I’ve noticed that it still makes adjustments to the ambient temp outside & it drives me crazy. So 71° isn’t really always 71°, it will adjust higher or lower depending on what it is outside but still display 71°.
Yeah it's definitely a weird system. My 11 ram didn't have the AUTO climate so I'd just leave it on defrost and floor and it was fine. My 21 is the first vehicle I've owned with AUTO climate. I bought it new a year and a half ago but i guess I'm still getting used to all this new fancy crap lol

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's by design. The climate control system operates differently when in the remote start process. When you get in and push your start button, it changes back to Auto (or whatever you had previously selected)

1669217923955.png

1669218012526.png

1669218052595.png

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's by design. The climate control system operates differently when in the remote start process. When you get in and push your start button, it changes back to Auto (or whatever you had previously selected)

View attachment 144428

View attachment 144429

View attachment 144430
I am aware of that but when I push the start button the fan stops blowing altogether. Like someone mentioned previously it may not be coming on until the engine is up to full operating temp. I have a short commute so this may be the problem.

WorthFlorida

Reaction score
I am aware of that but when I push the start button the fan stops blowing altogether. Like someone mentioned previously it may not be coming on until the engine is up to full operating temp. I have a short commute so this may be the problem.
I doubt up to full temperature. As long it can blow some warm air the fan should start up at a low speed. Change the display to vehicle engine temperature to get a handle on what the truck does as it warms up.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
UPDATE....
Left work this morning as I normally do and paid attention this time lol. The AUTO setting does appear to be working as normal when the engine gets up to normal operating temperature. Apparently I'm still learning the ways of all this new fangled technology lol. Thanks for tips

Users who are viewing this thread