5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane in a hd

MT755

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy but think, a Hurricane engine with all the heavy duty components of the HO engine but derated to 430 hp and 470 ft/lbs. This would match the Ford Godzilla 7.3. This would simplify Rams engine production. I can't wait for the feedback. LOL.

I actually hope for the cummins gas in the hd's

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hmm ill play.
yes it looks doable by the number, however, engine longevity is still questionable especially for heavy duty use.

personally, i'm waiting for the last year of 6.4 in the Power Wagon and THAT will be my last truck. (meaning i'll be driving that truck for the next ~70 years, assuming i can live till 100)

JExpedition07

Reaction score
Would be a terrible idea unless you want an all around worse HD platform, no displacement for engine braking, tiny little bores (horrible for heat dissipation), and dismal fuel economy. The 3.0 Hurricane got the worst fuel economy of the 6.2L GM, 5.0L Ford, and itself in TFL’s MPG loop with the off-road variants with the bigger rubber. The spread will get even worse with more weight in an HD. The 5.0 in the F-150 is 15-20% more efficient than the 3.5 EcoBoost in towing loops. Heat management is also huge, a 7.3 liter with a cast iron block blows off heat like nothing. A 3.0 will be making you pull over trying to pull 15,000 pounds up a mountain, the temp gauge on the 7.3 won’t even budge.

Ram is using Cummins new 6.7 Gasoline engine to replace the 6.4 gas from everything I’ve seen from insiders. Should be a good engine, 6.7 liters Inline gas. Will have good grunt and heat management.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Picture this, how about two hurricanes for a 12 cylinder quad turbo? I could get on board with that

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Personally I'm waiting for the 1.8 turbo version putting out 700 hp. I got a thing for glowing red turbos, its adds to the ambience.

MT755

Reaction score
Would be a terrible idea unless you want an all around worse HD platform, no displacement for engine braking, tiny little bores (horrible for heat dissipation), and dismal fuel economy. The 3.0 Hurricane got the worst fuel economy of the 6.2L GM, 5.0L Ford, and itself in TFL’s MPG loop with the off-road variants with the bigger rubber. The spread will get even worse with more weight in an HD. The 5.0 in the F-150 is 15-20% more efficient than the 3.5 EcoBoost in towing loops. Heat management is also huge, a 7.3 liter with a cast iron block blows off heat like nothing. A 3.0 will be making you pull over trying to pull 15,000 pounds up a mountain, the temp gauge on the 7.3 won’t even budge.

Ram is using Cummins new 6.7 Gasoline engine to replace the 6.4 gas from everything I’ve seen from insiders. Should be a good engine, 6.7 liters Inline gas. Will have good grunt and heat management.
TFL's mpg testing isn't a accurate. That type of tank filling can very too much

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A detuned Hurricane serving as a generator for electric motors that would do the heavy lifting (RamCharger-style) in an HD would be doable…presuming you’re not worried about crazy technical complexity. A diesel-electric hybrid might make more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread