5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting Season Is Approaching...

Do You Hunt?/If So What Do You Hunt?

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Yes, Deer

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Yes, Small Game

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Yes, Duck/Waterfowl

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Yes, Bear

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Yes, If It Moves I Shoot It!

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

CJR28

Reaction score
Hunting season is upon us or all ready has started in most of the US and Canada. Do you hunt? If so what and where? Are you a bowhunter, or strictly rifle/shotgunner? Did you take your Ram to get there? Post any plans/setups or pictures of what you take here!

Last edited:

RT75

Reaction score
Would love to see any hunting set ups for your truck. Anything different then offseason? Missing bow season this year so I hope everyone else has great luck!

CJR28

Reaction score
Would love to see any hunting set ups for your truck. Anything different then offseason? Missing bow season this year so I hope everyone else has great luck!
Waiting on my Bilstein and tire install for getting to the rough areas. I added the bakflip mx4 and have several totes loaded up with gear for whatever i plan on going for. I switch out the gear totes depending on season/game. I also have a tote dedicated for camping equipment. I have ramboxes, one is a dedicated tool box with most tools for small projects and the other is a spare storage but for hunting season it turns into rifle/shotgun storage. Ill post pictures soon

RT75

Reaction score
Waiting on my Bilstein and tire install for getting to the rough areas. I added the bakflip mx4 and have several totes loaded up with gear for whatever i plan on going for. I switch out the gear totes depending on season/game. I also have a tote dedicated for camping equipment. I have ramboxes, one is a dedicated tool box with most tools for small projects and the other is a spare storage but for hunting season it turns into rifle/shotgun storage. Ill post pictures soon
Just got my truck so I am still playing how I will set up. Indo have it getting ceramic coating and clearbra tough.

Lordy123

Reaction score
My setup is a 24 foot Jaco Mallard parked on 40 acres about 5.5 hours north of where I live. I just traded a 2014 chevy double cab with a standard bed and V6 for a 2020 eco diesel bighorn crew cab with a 5' 7" in bed. The chevy got 7-8MPG @70MPH pulling the camper(4200LBs dry) loaded to 5k with four passengers. It got 10-11MPG @ 60MPH. I'm excited to see how the new truck handles but not looking forward to reconfiguring the Weight distribution hitch.

A couple of questions specific to hunters or the 5th gen rams:
I really really miss the standard bed and cap after my first two weekends bow hunting this year! I'm on the hunt for who makes the best value cap for the DT Rams, but I'm side-eyeing the RSI smart cap that I shouldn't buy. If anyone has feedback on cap setups specific to hunting(and fitting more gear in the short bed) I'd love to see them.

Also, does anyone else who hunts have a bed rug vs a spray-in liner? Figured I'd ask here first, I really like the idea of the bed rug with he cap, but wondering how well bear bait, animal blood, and general swamp muck from tree stands will wash out.

CJR28

Reaction score
My setup is a 24 foot Jaco Mallard parked on 40 acres about 5.5 hours north of where I live. I just traded a 2014 chevy double cab with a standard bed and V6 for a 2020 eco diesel bighorn crew cab with a 5' 7" in bed. The chevy got 7-8MPG @70MPH pulling the camper(4200LBs dry) loaded to 5k with four passengers. It got 10-11MPG @ 60MPH. I'm excited to see how the new truck handles but not looking forward to reconfiguring the Weight distribution hitch.

I really really miss the standard bed and cap after my first two weekends bow hunting this year! I'm on the hunt for who makes the best value cap for the DT Rams, but I'm side-eyeing the RSI smart cap that I shouldn't buy. If anyone has feedback on cap setups specific to hunting(and fitting more gear in the short bed) I'd love to see them.

Also, does anyone else who hunts have a bed rug vs a spray-in liner? Figured I'd ask here first, I really like the idea of the bed rug with he cap, but wondering how well bear bait, animal blood, and general swamp muck from tree stands will wash out.
I have the rambox so the cap wont work, instead i have the bakflip mx4 with the divider so i can secure my gear. I also ordered the pin and latch so it can double as a bed extender in case the extra room is needed. I recommend the spray in liner for durability,( my truck came with the BUG) and picking up a cheap weather proof mat from home depot. The bedliner is pretty durable but can stain especially with clay-mud

RT75

Reaction score

Personally I like the bed liner for easy clean up. Although I never used a rug. Have a great season!

Bitta

Reaction score
I have the rambox so the cap wont work, instead i have the bakflip mx4 with the divider so i can secure my gear. I also ordered the pin and latch so it can double as a bed extender in case the extra room is needed. I recommend the spray in liner for durability,( my truck came with the BUG) and picking up a cheap weather proof mat from home depot. The bedliner is pretty durable but can stain especially with clay-mud
I have ramboxes and BUG on my 2020. Do you have the MFT? I'm looking at tonneau cover options but I understand there have been issues with the gap for the MFT. Also where did you get the pin & latch you mentioned? I didn't know until I picked my truck up last night that you couldn't flip the cargo bar thing around into a bed extender anymore - something about interference with the taillights?? The salesman said there were aftermarket solutions.

CJR28

Reaction score
I have ramboxes and BUG on my 2020. Do you have the MFT? I'm looking at tonneau cover options but I understand there have been issues with the gap for the MFT. Also where did you get the pin & latch you mentioned? I didn't know until I picked my truck up last night that you couldn't flip the cargo bar thing around into a bed extender anymore - something about interference with the taillights?? The salesman said there were aftermarket solutions.
I have the standard tailgate, i think the mx4 is compatible with the MFT. I picked up the pins and latch on ebay for around $80. Super easy to install and very useful

Lordy123

Reaction score
Went up again this weekend, my bedrug arrived Friday one hour after I left, figures.

I saw one black bear about ~150 yards out while in the bow stand, one deer passed at about 70 yards. Very quiet before the rut, my buddy who drew a bear tag this year didn't see anything again so we're 0/1 for bear 2020. At least now we can focus more on deer in the next couple weeks.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Season opened Oct 1 here for bow got out for some outdoor therapy ystrdy morning, woke up the the lords creations, as usual it was awesome..

Attachments

• A3008399-9369-4495-814F-A1E46DD34206.jpeg
    A3008399-9369-4495-814F-A1E46DD34206.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 22

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prime Quest bow... Ted Nugent arrows Muzzy buzz cut broads, whitetails..

Last edited:

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recently returned from my annual archery elk hunt!

Good luck out there. Shoot straight!
c0b579de5788ae6e89bb9fc23b5a99a9.jpg

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If you're a hunter and have never been duck/goose hunting it has be the most fast passed type of hunting, especially in that first half hour. Personally we have a floating blind on a local lake and always have a blast out there. And if there's any beretta fans I use an A400 xtreme plus, probably the easiest shouldering and lightest shooting shotgun I've ever used, (and deep down I'm a Benelli guy).

CJR28

Reaction score
If you're a hunter and have never been duck/goose hunting it has be the most fast passed type of hunting, especially in that first half hour. Personally we have a floating blind on a local lake and always have a blast out there. And if there's any beretta fans I use an A400 xtreme plus, probably the easiest shouldering and lightest shooting shotgun I've ever used, (and deep down I'm a Benelli guy).
Totally agree, as much as I love deer hunting, duck hunting has way more action. I shoot a Franchi Intensity 3.5

Users who are viewing this thread