5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HUD and Digital Gauge Cluster failure

510paesan

Reaction score
First post
Gen X'er
A&P mechanic
Extremely disappointed with the 21st century
Seasoned Mopar owner, decided I needed a reliable pick up that I don't have to wrench on
Just bought a 2023 5.7L Bighorn two days before Christmas
Truck has less then 2k miles on it
Heads up Display and the digital gauge cluster have both failed
It's Sunday so service department at the dealership is closed.
Are there any TSB's or warranties associated with the digital gauge cluster or HUD?
The Owners manual isn't very descriptive with troubleshooting the electronics
At best the fuse diagrams are minimal:
I found this thread to be helpful
>RAM 1500 5th-Gen External and Internal Power Distribution Centers - Google Drive
But doesn't resolve my issue
I cant imagine Mopar sourcing the best parts and I'm assuming there's huge quality issues with the electronics in the 5th gen's

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That thing should be under full warranty?

Not really any huge issues short of cracking/leaking rear window frames, possibly causing secondary issues.
Leaking top brake light gasket, possibly causing secondary issues.
Batteries failing and less than optimal ground connections, definitely causing all kinds of havoc.

The owners manual is useless for TS.
You need OBDII interface, SGW bypass cable and alfaOBD app. to do any meaningful trouble shooting.

edit: and I recommend a subscription to Alldatadiy.
Has schematics, theory of operation, steps for trouble shooting and on and on.

510paesan

Reaction score
That thing should be under full warranty?

Not really any huge issues short of cracking/leaking rear window frames, possibly causing secondary issues.
Leaking top brake light gasket, possibly causing secondary issues.
Batteries failing and less than optimal ground connections, definitely causing all kinds of havoc.

The owners manual is useless for TS.
You need OBDII interface, SGW bypass cable and alfaOBD app. to do any meaningful trouble shooting.

edit: and I recommend a subscription to Alldatadiy.
Has schematics, theory of operation, steps for trouble shooting and on and on.
10-4
Thanks for the direction
I have OBD scanners, whats a SGW Bypass and why do I need it?
Also, what is alfaOBD app?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
10-4
Thanks for the direction
I have OBD scanners, whats a SGW Bypass and why do I need it?
Also, what is alfaOBD app?
Security gateway bypass cable so you can access/send commands to the modules that are behind the firewall.
AlfaOBD lets you monitor live data.

510paesan

Reaction score
Update:
The dealership has had the truck
They had replaced the LVDS cable
That didn’t fix the issue, as I suspected it would not, and argued with the service manager over.
I took it back and told them to fix the original squak, which was to r/r the DGC
Honestly done with Mopar after this.
Worst experience ever.
I could not get a loaner car out of the dealership, the service manager stated “they don’t do dat no moe”
I filed a case with Stelantis or fiat, whoever owns Mopar these days:
FYI if you ever have to do this, prepare to make constant phone calls to India and be stuck with a bill for a rental car
Thanks Mopar

jhoward000

Reaction score
Update:
That didn’t fix the issue, as I suspected it would not, and argued with the service manager over.
I took it back and told them to fix the original squak, which was to r/r the DGC
Worst experience ever.
I could not get a loaner car out of the dealership, the service manager stated “they don’t do dat no moe”
FYI if you ever have to do this, prepare to make constant phone calls to India and be stuck with a bill for a rental car
Thanks Mopar

Any other updates? My digital cluster has also failed, but HUD works fine.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Update:
Worst experience ever.
Thanks Mopar
I believe you have a shi:poop:y dealer. I would try a different one next time. my dealer has a fleet of service loaner cars and if they run out of those, I have had my salesman give me one off the lot. granted it was a used car, but it was wheels to drive why mine was in the shop. I understand your feelings I would be livid as well if I was treated like that. especially since I get a new one every 3 years from them.

Users who are viewing this thread