5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hub-centric? Bore spacers required?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered wheels and tires from TireRack which arrived today.

I ordered over the phone so I could ask about bore spacers. I read another thread on here where somebody got Fuel wheels and they came with the correct bore spacers in the box.

I have also read on here where people have stated that our trucks use hub-centric wheels and hubs.

The whole reason I ordered over the phone instead of online was so I could ask about bore spacers.

The sales rep assured me that all needed hardware would be included. Since I had already read that Fuel wheels come with the right bore spacer, I was willing to believe that the Helo wheels I was ordering would also include the right bore spacers. I looked at the product description for the Fuel wheels and it did not mention bore spacers. So, the fact that the Helo product description did not mention bore spacers seemed to be nothing to worry about.

Well, there were no bore spacers in the package when it arrived today. And the wheel bore is definitely bigger than the hub. There's probably a 3/8" gap between the hub and the wheel bore ('cause I test fitted one wheel, just to see, then took it back off).

So, what's the deal? Do I need bore spacers or not? How does anyone KNOW that our trucks require hub-centric wheels? Is it in the manual or online specs somewhere? Or are people just assuming?

If the lugs are not designed to take the weight of the truck, then I don't want to put these wheels on without a bore spacer and risk having them eventually fail somehow.

I have the wheels sitting here. The tires and mounted and balanced. All ready to go - except for an answer to this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I put fuel wheels on my JL wrangler a couple of years ago. The guy at Discount Tire stated that I did not need the hubcentric rings but I insisted on him putting them on! The fuel wheels are not hubcentric ! At least the ones that I had were not hub centric. But I never had any problem with them at all! Also the hub centric rings did not come With the fuel wheels originally!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put fuel wheels on my JL wrangler a couple of years ago. The guy at Discount Tire stated that I did not need the hubcentric rings but I insisted on him putting them on! The fuel wheels are not hubcentric ! At least the ones that I had were not hub centric. But I never had any problem with them at all! Also the hub centric rings did not come With the fuel wheels originally!

Since you insisted on the bore spacers, I am not surprised that you never had any problems. You certainly should not have.

I found a post on this forum where the person said they ordered Fuel Rebel 6 wheels and then spent another $100 ordering aluminum bore spacers to make the wheels hubcentric. Then, when his wheels actually arrived, they had bore spacers in the box.

That is why I was thinking maybe these Helo wheels would have them included. The poster with the Fuel wheels said the spacers that came with them are plastic, so I assume they are very inexpensive. Yet another reason I was prepared to believe they came with them.

What I'm really stuck on is, just because the stock wheels are bored to fit right onto the hub, that does not necessarily mean the hubs and lugs are hub-centric. So, how does anyone KNOW for sure that the 5th Gen RAM 1500 is hub-centric? Is it just an assumption? Or is that documented somewhere?

Bearman95

Reaction score
All I can tell you is that Most Wheels will say hub centric in the description if they are so hubcentric. If they are not hub centric I would definitely get the hub centric rings. Years ago I purchased wheels from Discount Tire without the hub centric rings and the truck never drove good ! It always seem to have a vibration on it. Discount Tire finally put hubcentric rings on that particular truck and I never had any more problems! As far as I know all factory wheels are hub centric.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hub-centric wheels will have flat lug nuts and just fit the wheel bore. My last truck was an old Ford F-250 and they were hub-centric wheel. The wheel surface is completely flat around the lug holes and the lug nuts were flat and had a permanent washer on the lug nut to ride on the wheel when you torqued them down. The wheel tight up against the bore centers the wheel and the nut and flat washer holds it to the hub.

Most vehicles are lug-centric. There are beveled lug holes in the wheel and the lug nuts are beveled too (conical). The conical shape centers the wheel in place and the lug nut also holds it to the hub.

You can get rings for your lug-centric wheels. It could clear up any driveability issues you encounter, as Bearman95 mentioned.

I see very few hub-centric wheels these days.

Here's a good description:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't matter about the vehicle as long as the hub bore is smaller than the wheel bore. It matters about the wheel. Like @brian42 said, if the wheels are hub-centric they'll have flat lugs and lug holes. If they're lug-centric they'll have conical lugs and lug holes. My wheels are technically lug-centric, but they came with hub rings so I put them on anyway. Plastic or aluminum, doesn't make a difference. Ran plastic rings on my Titan for 5+ years and never had an issue. Think you can usually pick up a set of plastic rings for about $35-40.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Go to US wheel adapter and have them make you aluminum ones. They are better than the plastic ones you can get or come with the wheels usually. I do this each time I buy wheels. Give them the pitcher and inner diameter and you’re good to go. 77.8 is the inner measurement. The specs on the wheel will provide the outer diameter needed to make the spacers.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Chrysler has been hub centric with cone washers for years, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Yes technically it won’t be perfect switching to lug centric on the wheels but hundreds of thousands of vechicles do it all the time and you never notice.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, all! That is very helpful.

I did notice that the stock lug nuts were conical, and the lug nuts that came with the new wheels are conical. That definitely makes me feel better.

If TireRack sends me bore spacers, I'll put them in. Otherwise, I reckon I'll just run them without. Worry about it only if I notice a problem with the ride.

Which is good, because I have no patience. I couldn't stand having them just sitting there. So, I put the wheels on last night and took it for about a 30 mile spin. :D

I like the tires. At 55-60 MPH, I could hear them. They are louder than the stock tires. But, they are still very quiet. The stock tires were basically silent. At 75MPH, I could no longer hear the tires. Only wind noise. All of that with the windows closed and the stereo off, of course.

They seem to drive and ride just fine. They were very smooth. No vibration in the wheel or felt through the seat.

And my truck looks SO much better with the new setup. I got 5 compliments on it before I even pulled out of my driveway. Neighbors out walking their dogs. Even the UPS truck driver stopped and shouted "they look great!" LOL

It was dark by the time I finished, so no pics. I'll post one or two later today.

Users who are viewing this thread