5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HPFP recall issues

kpc01

Reaction score
I know this is a common subject but I think and hope this is it unusual situation as I hope nobody else has to deal with it... Just looking for advice or see if anybody else has had a situation like this. Here's a quick synopsis.

After calling my local dealership for about a week and a half and finally going in person I verify they have the parts for the recall. I schedule it for Monday 2/19 at 10am.
They reached out to me via text at 7:00 p.m. saying it's ready. The next morning I go to pick it up about 9:00 a.m. and it has a horrible knock. I will attach the video below. I leave it there as it sounds like it's about to throw a rod so I didn't want to mess anything up. Note that when I pop the hood to take the video there were hose clamps that were off the overflow and the engine cover wasn't seated and all sorts of small things that weren't finished. It really bothers me or scares me at the lack of attention to detail on the outside as to what they might have done on the inside.

I've been checking in pretty much daily and over the first couple days they removed the fuel pump and said it failed. When I asked about a new fuel system since it failed they said it was just the gear. Yesterday was day seven so I went up there in person. I asked if I could go see the truck since I saw it was sitting outside. The fuel pump is off the truck fuel lines are open in the engine is open, I could see the timing chain and there were some trash just inside the timing cover. On another note my truck was unlocked and had about $7,000 worth of checks in it (I normally wouldn't do this but I expected it to be there for 3 hours on Monday).

I contacted FCA cares Monday and got my first response today. She is still checking on some things but I really don't know what to do now I'm at a loss. I have no confidence at all in the technician. As of now they give me no ETA of the part coming in and my truck is sitting there open still. I tried to get a loaner truck on Monday and they said no. FCA looks like they're going to cover it The more than anything I'm worried about the consequences both short-term and long-term of the knock and potentially having the gear from the fuel pump brake off like they said. In my opinion it needs the oil changed in the minimum and moisture in the fuel lines is definitely a no-no as well. I plan on having everything documented on paper when I get it if I ever get it back but any other advice or anybody else had a situation like this?

BobLeeSwaggin

Reaction score
My experience with FCA Customer Care (stellantis?) for the last year has been less that stellar and they have been mostly less than helpful. We are on our 4th or 5th case manager now. As far as the dealer my truck is at, they've been decent while working to get the issue resolved, warranty people at corporate made it a mess to start with, initially we were going to just get the new pump when it came available, as well as select pieces of the fuel system down stream of the pump getting replaced.

Long story long, now they are finishing install on a new long block and new pump with new fuel system, apparently my pump went full frag grenade and there was a concern of metal getting into the oiling system (brought up by me to the service manager) and potentially fragging the motor.

I've been without my truck since March of '23 when the pump died and we towed it (thank god for AAA) about 150 miles to the nearest dealer with some availability. November they finally got the motor and pump, and it is just now getting finished up. All while I am states away.

RAM Customer Care is shipping the truck to me on their dime also, while also reimbursing the payments we have been making on the truck while it sits in the shop. So that doesn't suck.

P.S. Customer Care will reimburse rental cars every 10 days with a cap of like 60$ a day, FYSA.

BobLeeSwaggin

Reaction score
Best news I’ve gotten today is the tech stayed late last night to button it up. Naturally with almost year old diesel in the tank it threw a code for the lift pump in the tank, so I’ll get a free full tank and a new fuel filter haha

DietDiesel3.0

Reaction score
I know this is a common subject but I think and hope this is it unusual situation as I hope nobody else has to deal with it... Just looking for advice or see if anybody else has had a situation like this. Here's a quick synopsis.

After calling my local dealership for about a week and a half and finally going in person I verify they have the parts for the recall. I schedule it for Monday 2/19 at 10am.
They reached out to me via text at 7:00 p.m. saying it's ready. The next morning I go to pick it up about 9:00 a.m. and it has a horrible knock. I will attach the video below. I leave it there as it sounds like it's about to throw a rod so I didn't want to mess anything up. Note that when I pop the hood to take the video there were hose clamps that were off the overflow and the engine cover wasn't seated and all sorts of small things that weren't finished. It really bothers me or scares me at the lack of attention to detail on the outside as to what they might have done on the inside.

I've been checking in pretty much daily and over the first couple days they removed the fuel pump and said it failed. When I asked about a new fuel system since it failed they said it was just the gear. Yesterday was day seven so I went up there in person. I asked if I could go see the truck since I saw it was sitting outside. The fuel pump is off the truck fuel lines are open in the engine is open, I could see the timing chain and there were some trash just inside the timing cover. On another note my truck was unlocked and had about $7,000 worth of checks in it (I normally wouldn't do this but I expected it to be there for 3 hours on Monday).

I contacted FCA cares Monday and got my first response today. She is still checking on some things but I really don't know what to do now I'm at a loss. I have no confidence at all in the technician. As of now they give me no ETA of the part coming in and my truck is sitting there open still. I tried to get a loaner truck on Monday and they said no. FCA looks like they're going to cover it The more than anything I'm worried about the consequences both short-term and long-term of the knock and potentially having the gear from the fuel pump brake off like they said. In my opinion it needs the oil changed in the minimum and moisture in the fuel lines is definitely a no-no as well. I plan on having everything documented on paper when I get it if I ever get it back but any other advice or anybody else had a situation like this?

I have a 2022 1500 Eco Diesel which is going into the shop Tuesday 03/05/2024 for the HPFP recall. I experienced some power loss the other day pulling out of a parking lot into a busy highway. Luckily, it only lasted seconds and the power came right back. My truck currently has 30,000 easy commuter miles on it. I am taking it to a local dealer for the maintenance and have nothing but great experiences with them thus far. Hopefully its an easy fix with no adverse effects like the one you are experiencing.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 Eco Diesel which is going into the shop Tuesday 03/05/2024 for the HPFP recall. I experienced some power loss the other day pulling out of a parking lot into a busy highway. Luckily, it only lasted seconds and the power came right back. My truck currently has 30,000 easy commuter miles on it. I am taking it to a local dealer for the maintenance and have nothing but great experiences with them thus far. Hopefully its an easy fix with no adverse effects like the one you are experiencing.
That power loss is indicative of a grenaded HPFP. It may NOT be that...but I'd be pretty concerned. Ensure that is documented.

Oops...I see you posted this 3 weeks ago: what was the result of your appointment?

Vivrosh

Reaction score
You must do that recall soon

Users who are viewing this thread