5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hows your fwd collision auto braking doing?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My son dislikes his even on a lower sensitivity. He’s since turned it off.
My Ltd doesn't have the level 1 package so I'm spared it.

I did have to brake hard today for a big yellow cat that was on the freeway...

Attachments

• 5647A431-C21D-4814-B572-DBB943ADBABB.jpeg
    5647A431-C21D-4814-B572-DBB943ADBABB.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:

vincentw56

Reaction score
My ex wife's 300 sometimes brakes for no reason she said. I don't have it on my BH.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine will on occasion brake when someone has made a turn and is well out of the way. I chalk it up to my dusty dirt road and needing to clean the sensors more often. It hasn't bothered me enough to turn it off, like I had to do on my old Cadillac which would brake for a median or shadows.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Until I looked it up I didn't realize that Adaptive Braking, in whatever name/form, will be a standard safety feature in 2022!
(Begin copied portion of article)
"Twenty automakers, whose products account for 99 percent of all new-vehicle sales in the U.S., have agreed to equip their full lineups of cars, SUVs, and light-duty trucks with AEB by 2022."
(End copied portion of article)

The article (later on down) stated that (begin copied portion) "The balloon car is firm enough that we only ran our test cases until we found the speed at which an impact was unavoidable. But Thatcham Research, the U.K.'s analogue to America's IIHS, has conducted similar trials at high-enough speeds to know that these systems ultimately reach a threshold where they will neither alert nor brake for a stationary vehicle. Instead, they'll slam into a stopped car at full speed. "As speeds get higher, physically the car can't understand the situation and stop quickly enough. We've seen that with the ACC systems as well," says Matthew Avery, director of insurance research at Thatcham."
(End of copied article.)

The Car and Driver testing showed that threshold was between 20 and 30 mph, so it's not a panacea quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

tdager

Reaction score
FWDC is on, autobrake is OFF. First time driving across a major bridge here in Cinci and have it auto-brake with no traffic around I was like, "nope, not gonna happen" and turned it off. It has been off over a year.

NoCrow

Reaction score
Mine works perfect. I have the lane keep assist on max as well as the braking. Only time I have issues is pulling out of steep driveways too fast. Which if I know it will I just momentarily turn off the sensors with the switch on the center console. I love it.

20Ram4X

Reaction score
I'm on the fence with it, had the system hit the brakes backing into a parking spot yesterday. About gave me whiplash, it brakes pretty hard. Probably going to turn it off.

BoDarville

Reaction score
My forward braking has never kicked in. My last ride was an Acura that had the occasional false alert, so I've been really happy with this one so far. The rear sensors have hit the brakes on me a few times. Twice because I was backing up with the tailgate down, and a couple of times backing into my driveway. I have to get pretty close to the corner of my house, and if I go too fast it stops me. Don't want to turn it off thought because it just might save my butt some time, so I've learned to just go a little slower.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had to disable it as well.

It would randomly slam the brakes on a completely empty highway.. no signs, no railings, flat road, no imperfections in the pavement, nothing.. horrible system.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Had to disable it as well.

It would randomly brakes on a completely empty highway.. no signs, no railings, flat road, no imperfections in the pavement, nothing.. horrible system.
Nah, it was braking from a covid virus that was just about to fly into your vent. You should be happy...

HAL9001

Reaction score
All of us are also the guy in front. I'm hoping anyone behind me never turns off their forward-collision braking.

Burner1352

Reaction score
I have had the auto brakes come on backing into my driveway. I learned that it will apply them if it picks up the exhaust leaving the tailpipes it can at times confuse the system. Dealership even checked it and was able to confirm it. I get that it needs to be sensitive and all but exhaust shouldn't cause the system to react. Haven't had the front sensor go off yet. I have had the collision warning stuff go off but never put the brakes on.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have had the auto brakes come on backing into my driveway. I learned that it will apply them if it picks up the exhaust leaving the tailpipes it can at times confuse the system. Dealership even checked it and was able to confirm it. I get that it needs to be sensitive and all but exhaust shouldn't cause the system to react. Haven't had the front sensor go off yet. I have had the collision warning stuff go off but never put the brakes on.
I don't know but sometimes a cloud of noxious gas from "behind" causes me to brake suddenly as well.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the alarm only set. I had the system on the lowest auto breaking setting, was way too sensitive for my driving style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/