5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to verify dealer cost for warranty and accessories?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy and am curious about what discount to expect if the dealer agrees to sell an extended warranty or accessories at cost. How can these numbers be verified?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For a factory extended warranty do a quick quote from Zeigler: https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

They are usually the lowest price (or very close to it). They sell factory extended warranties for a tad above cost. They have two discount codes: PAYINFULL for a $365 discount if you pay the full amount and buy it up front, and DAMON2 for $100 if you pay in installments for 12 months.

I'm sure the dealership will tell you that they cannot match that price and that they "will lose money". They are wrong. There may be a profit threshold they won't go below but the policy costs every dealership the same amount, they are just not willing to do it for a marginal profit. You will have to weigh whether you want to pony up more money after the sale to get a better price (from someone like Zeigler) or pay a bit more but have it rolled into you financing.

BE CAUTIOUS OF WHAT EXTENDED WARRANTY YOU ARE DISCUSSING WITH THE DEALERSHIP! Most (if not all) will try to sell you a 3rd party policy that they make maximum profit on. Be sure to clarify that you are discussing a Chrysler factory extended warranty. You can go down the 3rd part path but I have not read anything good about them (even if Chris Berman and Ice-T are telling me how good Car Shield is).

For accessories I'm not sure where to find the actual dealer cost. There's dealer cost, MSRP (markup), and the dealership price (even more markup). Your best bet is to go to an online OEM parts distributor (which is usually a dealership that sells on-line for less than MSRP) and check those prices. There are many out there and I remember seeing a thread on the ones that have some of the best prices but I can't find it. Here's one to look at as an example - https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

Select the product you are interested in and it will show you list price and then their discounted price.

You will have to factor in shipping cost to be fair. I used to do that with my last truck (Ford). Ford dealerships are notorious for huge markups above MSRP (at least in my area). I would go into the dealership, show them the price + shipping if I were to order the part from somewhere else, tell them I would rather support them than another dealership, and see how close they could get to that price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread