5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to unhitch with Air Suspension?

TAK

Reaction score
I have not found an easy way to un hitch from the trailer. If I turn off air suspension and then start raising the trailer off the ball the truck keeps rising . If I raise the truck to off road then put the jack down on the trailer and then lower the truck that works sometime except it seems to put a load on the jack before breaking loose. I am towing a 4000# Airstream with approx. 500# of tongue weight.

Eminclake

Reaction score
I have my 2021 in Tire Jack Mode (On is checked) and yet the truck keeps rising as I try to raise the loaded cargo trailer off the hitch. It rises 3", at least. (The top and bottom light suspension height are both lit.) My truck is backed in my driveway that is on a slight incline. What am I missing? Could it be the trailer is pulling it up due to the slight incline? Not sure how to combat that, if so.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have my 2021 in Tire Jack Mode (On is checked) and yet the truck keeps rising as I try to raise the loaded cargo trailer off the hitch. It rises 3", at least. (The top and bottom light suspension height are both lit.) My truck is backed in my driveway that is on a slight incline. What am I missing? Could it be the trailer is pulling it up due to the slight incline? Not sure how to combat that, if so.
I've not tested this, but I read another member's post that said Tire Jack mode only operates in the "Normal" setting. Did you happen to enable Tire Jack mode while the AS was set in Entry/Exit? To me, this doesn't seem to be likely...just happened to come across that post and thought I'd mention it.

wvinson

Reaction score
From my experience with my Limited's air suspension, when hooking and unhooking our boat, if you leave the door open, which I do, the auto level doesn't kick in until the door is closed.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I don't have air suspension, but sometimes I find on an incline or decline, even if the hitch is unlatched, it can still catch on the ball when jacking the trailer up, raising the back of the truck with it. Sometimes I have to get up on the bumper of the truck and jump on it to get the ball to come out of the hitch.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I put it in entry exit mode and the air system doesn't come on but the truck is going to rise some when you unload the suspension

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the ball get "stuck" in the coupler and have to put the truck in neutral or even gear and let it move a tiny bit to break free. This only applies if you think the jack is now raising the truck rather than the air suspension continuing to lift.

truckless

Reaction score
With my 3500 with air and fiver with auto levelling and reconnect.... I finally figured it out the "science" and then sold.

Basically, I would get the weight off the hitch and then work around what the truck would do in opposite. The Key though was to wait a few seconds for the truck to reponde and to respond accordingly for the situation.

Booch

Reaction score
I remember this annoyance from my 2016. I used to stand on the hitch and bounce a little to help it break free. It helps if you keep a little grease on the ball, too. A few times, I dropped it into aero mode before I unhitched, as well.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow in Aero mode, when unhooking the WDH bars I use tire jack mode.

Then turn tire jack mode off and let it level back out.

As I’m raising the jack up the air system is trying to lower the truck, which then pops the coupler off the ball

Eminclake

Reaction score
I resolved this, and will allow my embarrassment to shine. It goes to assumptions and fundamentals: the ball latch. Used a few trailers over the years, but this one required me to lift AND THEN pull it back. (I hear the collective "duh!") It was clear something wasn't right when I took it to level ground and it did the same thing. I should have figured this out before when I was wondering how to keep the latch up. I should've posted a pic, too. The trailer detached without issue with Tire Jack enabled, even on my inclined driveway. Anyhow, I learned two things. One, the obvious. Two, the trailer is quite securely attached to the hitch! I suppose I learned more than I wanted about the behavior of my air suspension, too.

Now I get to drive 1100 miles to Florida with it. Joy. Thanks to those who replied.

Users who are viewing this thread